global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Moving to DR & Want to Start A Business  (Read 14491 times)

tugboaboat5393

Re: Moving to DR & Want to Start A Business
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2021, 06:57:46 AM »
Some Ideas will work and Some will not. This thread is for brainstorming. No patent on Ideas.
Although some ideas are dumb, we aren't soliciting comments that remind us of that. Just laugh and KIM

1. Open an office where you mail me your "Amazon" stuff and your chica can pick it up from there: Pandora's Box Depot

And feel free to expand on our posted ideas for a business. Who knows you might get some freebies if it happens.

Something like that already exists ... it's some kind of ups store or mail boxes etc ... I seen it in sosua and santiago

There is a place called Domex.  You  mail things to this address in miami, and they mail it to DR.  They have locations all over DR to mail it to.

There is also EPS in Sosua and many other cities in DR. Same kind of thing. You get a free forwarding address in Miami and they ship to DR free. If the item is more than 200$ USD it is subject to duties. When you go to pick up your package you pay based on weight of the parcel. The office used to be more hidden on Pedro Clisante on Classico side next to Mamajuana Bar. They have a new more modern office now across the street basically located next to Jolly Roger. It’s a very efficient service.
yup domex. Had sent a chica  hair exstention s. She was happy !

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »
I wouldnt mind starting a massage parlor called "Island Massage" and for anyone that cums in less than 15minutes...It's Free!!
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

Viva La Vega

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2021, 02:44:17 PM »
Yeah, not so much. Dozens of deserted hotel properties between Costumbar and Cabarete, every hotel in Sosua for sale, hundreds and hundreds of rooms available on AirBnB.

But in principle, secure a quantity of something in bulk at a deep discount (annual lease) and sell by the piece at a premium (nightly rental). But the product in this case is highly competitive and not in demand.

Another principle, add value. A dollars worth of sand water and cement becomes a five dollar block. A seed becomes a tree, a tree becomes lumber, lumber can become furniture. No shortage of labor for a small scale manufacturing business. Adding value, (environment, TV’s, preparation, service) is how Flip gets us to pay five bucks for a bucks worth of wings.

Two markets, the emerging local population. I am sure phone ownership has doubled in 10 years. What’s next? Tourist, expat, retiree... Harder to peg a need for something that’s not already competing for those dollars.

I don’t know, people ask me all the time if I would do a business in DR, I have one or two ideas but my mantra has been “make dollars and spend pesos”, so likely will continue to work elsewhere in the region and spend my free time in DR.

Well, my thoughts have not changed much since i posted on this thread in 2019, make dollars, spend pesos.

I use a method to evaluate potential businesses and it is "evidence of successful competition".

If you used that to evaluate successful people...

Is any expat really making money in DR? Nice house, nice car, holidays in Europe with the wife and kids?

With the exception of Bourbon (and i don't know the long term success, but certainly revenue over the last year has been strong) who is making the kind of money that it's worth starting a business? The real estate developers maybe. Some folks in construction, a few sales people. But restaurant? Bar? Tourism? Not a chance.

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »
What about the Malibu guy.  I think he has other businesses and seems to be doing well.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »
What about the Malibu guy.  I think he has other businesses and seems to be doing well.

Good guy, Malibu's is a really nice spot, he makes great very watchable videos also.

But his main income stream is not from DR, he is a charter boat captain, and does yacht deliveries around the region. Makes his dollars in PR and FL and spends pesos at home in Sosua.

madvillian

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2021, 08:17:16 PM »

make dollars, spend pesos.

This is a sound philosophy to live by.

I'm gonna put it on a placard so that every time I come up with some goofy idea of semi-retiring and starting a business somewhere in Latin America I can pull it out and smack myself across the face. Simply a friendly reminder.

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »
TMD's latest on Doing Business in the DR and Issues you will run into!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xu6vWdMVvQ

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
Now that someone is doing "whore tours" to spots in Santiago...I think that's a business I would love to start when I retire over there.
It will be called     "Visiter hor d'oeuvres"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:21:06 AM by PapiViejo-Dark Lord »

CaptCaribbean

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2021, 02:03:32 AM »
I just signed the closing papers on a 2-stateroom, 40' yacht that I'm buying for the purpose of making it available for people to rent (bare charter = no captain). Same business model as a rental car. It will be in the marina in Puerta Plata.

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
I just signed the closing papers on a 2-stateroom, 40' yacht that I'm buying for the purpose of making it available for people to rent (bare charter = no captain). Same business model as a rental car. It will be in the marina in Puerta Plata.

Capt can you give us an update...contact number, pics, vessel mooring location???

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal