global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED? OR THINGS CHICAS DID TO MAKE YOU LAUGH?  (Read 35270 times)

murano2010

Re: WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED? OR THINGS CHICAS DID TO MAKE YOU LAUGH?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 03:50:57 AM »
An ADD On

You are at a restaurant.  You order a fish meal.   

You enjoy, get the bill and find out the fish you ate cost more than you thought.  You thought it was 600 pesos.  Because that is what you saw on the menu.   But they tell you, the fish you ate was 1 1/2 or 2 pounds, they ran out of 1lb fish.   

At 300 pesos a 1/2 pound,  they can tack on extra on your bill even if the fish you ate weighed less than whats on the bill.   If you dont specifically ask them the weight you want when you order,   1 lb, 1 1/2 lb or 2 lb the restaurant can scam you and serve a fish thats lets say 1 lb and claim they gave you a 1 1/2 fish.   Or 1 1/2lb fish, and charge you for a 2 lb fish.  300 to 600 pesos overcharge may not seem like much, but it means a lot to a local.   

Once again they put the onus on the customer.  Who would have thought you would have to be on the lookout for this type of hustle?     Locals dont care if you dont come back.  Repeat business is not a priority.    As long as they got over this time, it's a win/win for them.   There will be another sucker to hustle eventually.   

This happened to me at a restaurant that no longer exists.  But it was diagonally across from the Romanoff Hotel.   I think it was called Caprihana something like that, a dominican spot?    The same block Sosuas municipal bldg is on but near Alejo Martinez and Bologna restaurant.     
AWe the old fish Scam  ha ha,, Happende to me and a cute haitian repeat in caberrete,,, Nice day on the beach,  figured i treat my friend to some lunch,, i order a burger and frys  lets say  mabey 450 500 pesos and the fish  mabey 600 pesos,,   Meal was good fish looked good and fresh  chica enjoyed,, then get the bill think it was for 2300 pesos  im  like WTF  they charged by the pound,, lesson learned   even the chica was bull shit at them, Side note good chicas will argue with the vwait staff and make sure you get the local price and not get hosed !!!!
Cabarete IMO is a great place to dine, but it can be a little more expensive than Sosua.   A few of those restaurants on the beach throw in an extra 28% tax on the bill ( 18% and 10% ).    After you paid that it's like paying for an additional meal.   And of course they expect a tip on top of that.

Take your example.  The cost of the food from the menu, overpriced beverages ( that includes soft drinks iced up ), a little finesse by giving your date a big ass fish she might not be able to finish, 28% taxes, and finally your tip.    It's funny when you think about it.   Even on Sosua beach you can get close to what you ordered for about half of what you paid.   Typically a 1 lb fish meal ( 2 sides included ) is 600 pesos.   

If they tell you they dont have any 1lb fish, one can ask them if they have another type of fish that is 1 lb.   For example.  They have no Red Snapper left,  then one can ask for Grouper,  or what else they have until they come up with a 1lb fish.  1 1/2 fish is gonna be 300 pesos more.   So the meal is now 900 pesos.   But before I agree to the 1 1/2 fish, I suggest letting them show you the fish they intend to cook.   

To each his own, but when it comes to these chicas, I try to avoid going out of my way when it comes to making accommodations for them.   A fish is a fish.  And any paid meal, is a good meal.  They'll eat what we give them.  But as we all have experienced, some of these muggs will order expensive food/drink that they would never order or pay for if they were paying.  I dont consider them looking out for me ,  when they do that.     

It's good to have a chica who has your back.  Even better when the chica is sharp enough to catch a hustle before it goes down,  and not after.    Or her NOT being part of hustling the generous gringo.  Example,  asking 1st before ordering stuff they would never order.   That gesture may go a long way to seeing her as a thoughtful chica.  At least in that moment. 

However once again, these incidents are opportunities that reinforce the need to protect your interests at all times.  Locals or even our dates, dont give us the day off from that responsibility.   It's their job to catch us unaware of what they are capable of.   

As a side note.   I recall that some of those restaurants on Cabarete beach allow you to use the lounge chairs if you are a customer.   I asked the restaurant 1st.   It was either Kahuna or Lazy Dog.   Then they pointed out the lounge chair guy who was to tend to me.   The chair guy sees me walking from the restaurant towards him.   

So I tested the chair guy.   This was a few years ago.   How much is the chair?   He told me the chairs were something like 100 or 150 per chair.   See?   When you ask them how much, the 1st thing that may pop in his mind is,  you dont know the chairs are free if you are ordering food from the restaurant.  And in typical quick thinking hustler fashion,  they may not necessarily volunteer that information.  Sometimes you get an honest local.   

This issue is similar to guys asking chicas how much for their services/time?   When you ask the chica what the price is,  she may figure this guy is a target.  He dont know what the going rate is?   Ok amor, $100 ( 4000 for an hour ).   And maybe 50% of the time, she'll get it.   So our asking may reinforce for locals the idea that you may be ripe for being hustled ( overcharged ).   

I realize now, that that was a good move on my part.   To ask him what the price of the chairs were 1st before plopping down.  Get the bullshit out in the open to determine what kind of beach server that Im dealing with.   So I drop the hammer on him.   I tell him, I know the chairs are free when I order food from the restaurant.    Then the bullshit excuses starts.   Yes , no charge. 

That is the price if you do not order.  Ok sir, then why didnt you tell me the chairs are free if I order, you saw me coming from the restaurant.   Even if you didnt see me, you still should have told me.   Now he's sorry.   Sometimes a good strategy to see where some people are coming from, is by acting like you dont know.   Some locals find it hard to resist hustling individuals that they think are ignorant or unaware.     
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:33:30 AM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

murano2010

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 05:03:48 AM »
On a roll today.  Thought of another one.

Same with a moto.   Ive had chicas use a moto, then the driver claims the price is more than it usually cost.   And the chica stands there looking like a silly rabbit, instead of speaking up about it.    I tried to avoid that once.   I told the chica beforehand, make sure you get a moto for 50 pesos.  Im not paying any more than that.   

I had an incident where I pulled a nice haitian from Rumbas and we decided to take a moto back to the Victoria House.  She pointed at one guy and said there is my friend, so I handed hm 50pesos and then grabbed another moto guy for 50 pesos.  We taek off and head to teh hotel.

Once we got to around New Garden, the other moto guy roars up next my guy and starts yelling real loud and aggressive that 50 pesos wasnt enough and that I needed to pay him 100 pesos.  He kept saying "What am i going to do with 50 pesos?  You have to pay me 100 pesos!"  I just looked at her and said "I thought he is your friend.  He knows the price is 50 pesos".  She just shrugged her shoulders and didnt say anything.

After a couple of blocks of this idiot yelling at me, my moto guy turns toward and me and says the guy is "Mafioso" and I should be careful.  I told him that "Mr Mafioso" will get ktfo if he tries anything stupid once we get to the hotel. 

Once we pull up in front of VH, the big mouth didn't get off his bike but he kept insisting that I needed to pay him more.  I just got off my bike and strolled into the hotel while flashing the peace sign at him.  The chica stood there for like 5 seconds like she didn't know what to do, but then I heard her heels clacking as she ran after me into the lobby.
Interesting.  Her declaring that was her friend, made it easier for anyone to accept that they are connected.  So there shouldnt be a problem, right?.   Instead, the way it works with some locals,  they often try to join forces because basically enough of them have the same objective in mind.   We got a walking ATM that needs to be fleeced.   We cant let that mugg get away with walking around with all of that money, without tapping into it.   

In regards to your scenario,  I guess even when a chica is using somebody she claims to know,  it's best not to assume she or the friend will be looking out for us.  One can ask his date how much is the moto to the destination?  And/or ask the moto directly,  how much is the moto to where you are going?   Before driving off.   

Once again it's stories like this that reinforces our personal responsibility to question and verify when it comes to dealing with locals.   The more we question and verify , the less power and opportunity they have in relying on our ignorance to help them effectively hustle us.     
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:06:36 AM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

2Up

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
Yesterday, Friday, my buddy met a cute chick out of a group of chicas.   Exchanged whatsapp.  Later, he negotiated a TLN with her for 4000.   Chick showed up at 11:30pm.   Buddy said the juice was good.  Nice and wet juice box.  What could go wrong?

About 2ish in the morning, messages started coming in to her phone.  Any monger whose been in the game awhile knows whats about to go down next.   Operation Bailout.  Sponsored by the Chica Network.   Buddy said the chica is all over her phone.  Back and forth messaging.   Now she has to break it to him, that she has to go because it's urgent.  Remember me saying I dont want to hear no explanations, no excuses or reasons from these chicas.  Keep your trap closed, I dont need to listen to the bullshit. 

Anyway, she tells him whatever, and he says ok.   She gets dressed and then he gives her 2000 pesos.  You know what she wants right?   She wants the whole 4000.  My buddy said she even started pleading about needing the money for her baby.    He insisted that he's only giving her 1/2 because she didnt stay all night as agreed.

Chica aint done yet.  Chica says, please pay me the 4000 and I'll come back tomorrow and be with you.  My buddy counters.  No,  I'll give you the 2000, and you can come back tomorrow and I'll give you 2000 then.

Makes sense to me.   It's not what she wanted to hear.   She had no choice,  she gave in.   

What went down was a situation where this young chica was taught this strategy.   Now because she is not a regular to Sosua,  she was not seasoned enough to take it further where she could get the police involved.   In fact, that is something me and a few guys have discussed recently.   The fact that we havent heard any recent stories of chicas trying to extort a client with the help of the police.

And I have to say given the fact that there are a lot of chicas in Sosua at this very moment,  they arent that connected with the cops like that to pull that off.   They may very well fear all police based on what theyve been taught through the Chica Network, and observed by the cops still in chase mode.   Including the PN  officers.     A lot of new chicas are in town.  They may not be comfortable taking aggressive steps  especially in these hotels with security.   

So I just wanted to put that incident out there.  Here's a situation where the guy wanted a chica for all night, she agrees to it,  but in typical fashion she flipped the script so she could get out of it.   At 2ish in the morning,  there are plenty of potential clients to bamboozle next.

Now here's the kicker.   That chica IMO did him a solid.   He didnt need her all night.  That one good session was really all he needed.  We even discussed the fact,  that hiring her all night may have been a bad idea in the 1st place, because he never hired her before.     In fact it maybe a good idea to hire a chick for only a ST, and then discern later if it's worth having her stay longer.   

After the 1st session thats when Operation Bailout commenced.  And why would you wanna keep a chick all night who really doesnt want to be there?  Not to mention the morning session could be bad or non existent.   A chica can let a guy hire her,  give one good performance initially, and dont perform later, but then you have to pay.   So he got off easy.

Your friend did the right thing.  Some of these chicas will lie cheat and steal to get over.  Gotta put them in their place / show them you won't deal with their bullshit.

murano2010

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »

Your friend did the right thing.  Some of these chicas will lie cheat and steal to get over.  Gotta put them in their place / show them you won't deal with their bullshit.
Agreed!   He did the right thing, and also I agree to what you said about how some of these chicas lie and cheat.  Yes we got to put them in their place.  But I also think it's a good idea to fine tune a couple of things on our end, before needing to put a chica in her place. 

Like avoid committing to a TLN with a chica you never hired before.   But if the TLN is on, maybe make sure the time frame of the TLN is established and acknowledged.     Then inform the chica what the bail out pay out will be, if she has to leave early. or has an "emergency".    Put it on Whatsapp.  With any luck, have her agreeing to it.   HMMM, I just thought about something. 

If a chica refuses to acknowledge or agree to getting paid less if she leaves early,  that may be a clear sign to abort right there.   Lying of course we dont know until it comes,  but a clear refusal or failure to acknowledge those terms is grounds for dismissal.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:48:03 AM by murano2010 »

2Up

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »

Agreed!   He did the right thing, and also I agree to what you said about how some of these chicas lie and cheat.  Yes we got to put them in their place.  But I also think it's a good idea to fine tune a couple of things on our end, before needing to put a chica in her place. 

Like avoid committing to a TLN with a chica you never hired before.   But if the TLN is on, maybe make sure the time frame of the TLN is established.     Then inform the chica what the bail out pay out will be, if she has to leave early. or has an "emergency".    Put it on Whatsapp.  With any luck, have her agreeing to it.

Agree. Set boundaries before and getting details on WhatsApp is key imo

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
For Sure,,,   May be a pain in the ass but set the ground rules before TLN,,,,If they giver you problems dont invite them back  ,cross them of your list,,,However if you do get a good repeat on your roster and she is a trusted chica, even better,,, lets say you have your repeat over for a few days, And she lives close by,,,some times its good that they go home for a few hours,, you can have some chill time or take down an other chica for a quick pump aand dump,,,Ill do this if im there 10 to 14 day trip,, chicka goes home 1100 am or anoon time,, ill take a cat nap, shell take care things at home feed the kid check on her sister make sure all ok home then return around 4 or five pm,  out to dinner, disco till 1 am or later  rinse and repeat,,,
( unlimted sex)   Daily rate  !00 usd  Food and drink   

murano2010

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
For Sure,,,   May be a pain in the ass but set the ground rules before TLN,,,,If they giver you problems dont invite them back  ,cross them of your list,,,However if you do get a good repeat on your roster and she is a trusted chica, even better,,, lets say you have your repeat over for a few days, And she lives close by,,,some times its good that they go home for a few hours,, you can have some chill time or take down an other chica for a quick pump aand dump,,,Ill do this if im there 10 to 14 day trip,, chicka goes home 1100 am or anoon time,, ill take a cat nap, shell take care things at home feed the kid check on her sister make sure all ok home then return around 4 or five pm,  out to dinner, disco till 1 am or later  rinse and repeat,,,
( unlimted sex)   Daily rate  !00 usd  Food and drink
Sounds like a workable plan, man!     Especially for timed vacations.   

murano2010

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »
What I have learned :

We touched on the area of communication.   One area that can be a pain in the ass is when it comes to getting a local to take an order at a bar or restaurant,  and have them bring to the table exactly what you ordered.   Example :   You order a meal, the menu is in English.  The staff speaks English too.   

"Let me get the baked chicken, with yellow rice and vegetables.    Have them cook the chicken so it's well done.   And I'll have a frozen lemonade.  Bring the drink when the food comes, please.   OK?"   They respond, "OK"

1st thing that may happen is :   They may ask you again "what do you want with your chicken?"    You are thinking, am I in the twilight zone?   I just told you everything I wanted.   Your wondering,  they have a ordering pad or ipad what were they writing down when they took the order in the 1st place?   

So I repeat everything I said, but slowly.    They ask, you want white rice or yellow rice?   I say Yellow.   Off they go.

In some cases, they will bring your drink to the table out of habit even though you asked them to bring it when the food comes.   In other cases, something else happens. 

Food comes from the server that took your order.   You look at the order, and you got the yellow rice, but they gave you a salad instead of the veggies.    You Point that out, and they want to take your plate back to the kitchen.  LOL.    Lets say you say never mind.   I'll keep it.

Next you dig into your chicken and realize it is not well done like you asked.   IMO, typically what happens is, the person who takes your order , it goes in one ear and out the other when you ask for your food to be cooked a certain way.   They say ok, but often they dont convey that information to the cook, who needs that in order to make it the way you wanted it.     

Or simply, cooks dont even pay attention to how something is supposed to be cooked.  They do it the way they feel like doing it.   Example :  Ask for soft scrambled eggs,  and you get medium hard eggs.   Ask for wheat toast and you'll get white toast.   Ask for a drink with little to no ice, and you get a drink with plenty of ice. 

So now you have your meal in front of you, and the drink you ask for to come with the food, never comes.   If they didnt bring it at the time you ordered, they are not going to remember to bring it when your food comes.   

Now to the what I learned :    Nothing is fool proof, especially when it comes to dealing with customer service in the DR.

But what I try to do to minimize incorrect orders, is to get my servers to repeat my order back to me.   I avoid the "did you get that?"   All you are gonna get is them saying yes they got it.   Thats not gonna help you get your order right.

Making them repeat everything you asked for,  may help a lot more.   A lot of staff at restaurants are not good listeners.   Many do not know how to think out of the box.   If I were to work in a restaurant,  I would volunteer to make sure, I got an order right, by repeating the order back to the customer. 

This is where you may expose the fact that they do not have your order correct.   From experience, the part about how you want your food cooked is usually the detail often missed.  And when they dont include that in the "repeat of my order",  I may ask them right then how will the cook know how to cook my food?   You forgot that part?    Maybe now you are closer to getting your order prepared correctly. 

Further what servers should be checking for,  is making sure when they go to the kitchen to pick up the food,  make sure the order is prepared the way it was written on the order slip.   LOOK AT THE DAMN ORDER.   You see the order is not right, dont just bring it to the table.   

Even if they still f--k up the order,  at least they are the ones that were clearly responsible , and it was not a mutual misunderstanding.    To my self :   "Hey, you wrote it all down, you repeated my order back to me.   You are not retarded.   So how did you let my order get f--ked up, and why didnt you check it for accuracy before bringing it?"   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:48:40 PM by murano2010 »

murano2010

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2020, 09:36:31 PM »
Today classic case of wacky customer service.   Since I brought up this topic, and it was fresh in my mind, I allowed this scene to play out.

Went to Bologna for breakfast.   Dark skin chica gives us menus in English, and takes our order.   

Chica doesnt speak much English, and apparently only understands a little.

She has no pad to write with.   That right there, I knew she was going to f--k up the order. 

To make a long story short.   She made no attempt at repeating the order to make sure she got it right.   I purposely didnt ask her to, just to see if she might be on point.   She wasnt. 

My buddy had to ask her to bring things to the table that should have already been brought.   Worse, is she only gave it to him.   She didnt bother to bring the same to me or ask me if I wanted the same.   I also asked for wheat toast, and she gave me white bread.   When she brought the plate back, it was white bread toasted.   Then I explained using my translator.   This time she brings wheat toast.

On the menu my buddy saw pineapple juice.  It was 100 pesos.   When we got the bill it was 150.  The waitresses' excuse was,  they dont have the juice he ordered,  so they just gave him what they had.   SMH

I can understand there is a language barrier.   What I dont understand,  is why they dont train their staff to ask for help if they dont understand what a customer is saying?   Also in my opinion,  it makes sense for them to learn their menu, especially since they provide one in English.   

For instance.  If the waitress knows they have more than one type of bread.   Then why not ask the customer what type of bread you want?   Would you like that toasted?   Butter? Marmalade?   Bring the ketchup to the table or ask if it's needed.   

Saint

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2020, 10:46:26 PM »
I saw that in Santo Domingo older cat was mad waitress got his order wrong.  Said he was not going to tip her in the confusion of her not understanding what he wanted.  I tipped her.  I have no patience for dudes who play games. You said you would wait to see if she would get it right.  It's a boss ass society there take over and make sure she gets it right. I do well in life because I do not sit around and wait for people to f--k up.  I take charge especially in the DR when dealing with women in any type of situation.  I also learned Spanish so I never have those communication issues.  Being a waitress not an easy job.  Be nice if you made an effort if you know she does not speak english and she is not trained.  Simple shit, but dudes with o game always want to play and feel good about themselves when people f--k up.  Hope you feel good about your post now.....

You all know the restaurant I am talking about on same side of the street from the strip clubs on the corner. A popular spot with the heavys - politicians and players in the game.  I think I tipped her 2000 pesos as I felt bad.  Word spread and everyone was trying to buy me a meal after that. 50 pesos okay.  I keep saying people might not speak english, but never stupid there.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:36:21 PM by Saint »

murano2010

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
I saw that in Santo Domingo older cat was mad waitress got his order wrong.  Said he was not going to tip her in the confusion of her not understanding what he wanted.
Getting mad is no crime.  The whole idea of tipping is to reward for good service.  And through tipping it can help reinforce consistent good service.   A customer is within their rights to tip or not to tip according to service they were provided.   The fact that that cat exercised his right not to tip was his business.     

I tipped her.  I have no patience for dudes who play games. You said you would wait to see if she would get it right.
And see this is where our scenarios differ.  You are talking about yourself indicating that you were being a creepy eavesdropper.  Focused on the demeanor of a customer, and him broadcasting he wasnt going to tip.   Apples and Oranges B.    There was nobody mad in my scenario,  no refusal to tip, and no nosy creepy eavesdroppers near by catching bad vibes.     What we have in my case was a situation where our server attempted to serve us with the limited skills she had as a server, and limited abilities of knowing her menu.    And as many Dominicans do,  they love to practice on foreigners when it comes to communicating in English.   They consider it a challenge, rather than speaking Spanish.  Often times getting frustrated because some hate being corrected.   This was one of those occasions.     

It's a boss ass society there take over and make sure she gets it right. I do well in life because I do not sit around and wait for people to f--k up.  I take charge especially in the DR when dealing with women in any type of situation. 
And how do you suppose she got the order correct eventually B?   By the Psychic Network?   I do not go to a restaurant to take charge.  And especially just because I have a woman as my server.  I know what to expect generally, but I keep an open mind when it comes to individuals, because you dont know who you are dealing with, and you dont know a persons skill set.   

Moreover,  a better way to help a local learn is to give them the opportunity to work it out.   Thats how they learn.   But if you go to a restaurant with the mindset that you are going to direct everything they do, all you are going to do is look like what you are portraying.  A narcissistic fool.  Through our interaction,  my server eventually got it right.   She learned something, and I was reminded of the word for wheat, which I had forgot. 

Being a waitress not an easy job.  Be nice if you made an effort if you know she does not speak english and she is not trained.  Simple shit, but dudes with o game always want to play and feel good about themselves when people f--k up.  Hope you feel good about your post now....I think I tipped her 2000 pesos as I felt bad.  Word spread and everyone was trying to buy me a meal after that. 50 pesos okay.  I keep saying people might not speak english, but never stupid there..
It's not an easy job,  and dissatisfied customers comes with the territory.  That does not mean that women in service require a "Captain" to come to their rescue.  Thats the job they chose,  they have to learn how to deal with the good and the bad. 

Now the decision to tip 2000 pesos just because you felt bad for a situation that didnt have anything to do with you, and you got problems worrying about what other guys are doing,  thats a whole other issue that falls in the Captain, Simp, Controlling department.    I dont advocate for any man to open his wallet to pay a woman just because of what some other man did.   A cat could go broke like that.  How many other men paid 2000 pesos, like you?.  None.     Now if you had used that boss mentality you talked about,  you could have stepped to the dude and talked to him face to face about his behavior since you have a problem with cats like that.  But I'll bet you stayed in that f--king chair and kept your butt quiet.   You wasnt about to be no boss and confront that dude.   

And another thing.  Them two might have played you B.   Saw a nosy ass customer paying more attention to another table, rather than his own table.    They staged a scene to get you to react.    So you became a Captain and a hero for the moment.   And we wonder why manhood has slipped to an all time low.   Thanks for your contribution.   But I staunchly encourage individuals to handle their own business when it comes to dealing with locals and customer service.    And yes I noticed the narcissistic under tones in your content.   The I, I , I declarations.   

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:43:25 AM by murano2010 »

murano2010

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 09:14:21 AM »
At the beach in Boca Chica.   Buddy and I decided to order fish for lunch.

Bilingual waiter tending to us.  My recent ramblings regarding ordering fish meals actually was helpful.

I wanted Red Snapper, my buddy wanted Grouper.   No Grouper.  Even though I told the waiter I wanted only a 1 lb Red Snapper,  he goes to get fish for us to look at.  And he brings these big ass fish.  One a 1 1/2 lb and one 2 lb fish.  None were Red Snapper.   Then he comes back with two small fish that would be enough for two 8 yr olds.    Wasnt Red Snapper either.  I asked him what would the price be for those fish, being that they look under 1 lb?   He was claiming the price would be the same as if they were 1 lb.  No thanks.    In Sosua, I can get those two fish at Aris restaurant #67 and combined they would count as a 1 lb order.   

So I asked for him to  bring out the Red Snapper, which he could have brought with the other fish in the 1st place.  He comes back with two nice 1lb Red Snapper fish.   Damn you had those all along? 

The lesson thats being reinforced here for me, is how some restaurants try to steer you to their stock of fish that may not have a high demand.    Plus the opportunity of them making more money with the big fish,  and get rid of their smaller fish thats under 1lb.   

Getting a server to show you their samples before letting them cook it is a must.   

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 12:06:45 PM »

Bilingual waiter tending to us.  My recent ramblings regarding ordering fish meals actually was helpful.

I wanted Red Snapper, my buddy wanted Grouper.   No Grouper.  Even though I told the waiter I wanted only a 1 lb Red Snapper,  he goes to get fish for us to look at.  And he brings these big ass fish.  One a 1 1/2 lb and one 2 lb fish.  None were Red Snapper.   Then he comes back with two small fish that would be enough for two 8 yr olds.    Wasnt Red Snapper either.  I asked him what would the price be for those fish, being that they look under 1 lb?   He was claiming the price would be the same as if they were 1 lb.  No thanks.    In Sosua, I can get those two fish at Aris restaurant #67 and combined they would count as a 1 lb order.   

So I asked for him to  bring out the Red Snapper, which he could have brought with the other fish in the 1st place.  He comes back with two nice 1lb Red Snapper fish.   Damn you had those all along? 

The lesson thats being reinforced here for me, is how some restaurants try to steer you to their stock of fish that may not have a high demand.    Plus the opportunity of them making more money with the big fish,  and get rid of their smaller fish thats under 1lb.   

Getting a server to show you their samples before letting them cook it is a must.

Excellent Bro! But would ask, because I don't shit about fish, after they filet the fish...how can I tell if it is the original one that I approved?
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

murano2010

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:54 PM »

Excellent Bro! But would ask, because I don't shit about fish, after they filet the fish...how can I tell if it is the original one that I approved?
You just made me laugh.  When I lived in the north east of the US I always ate fish that was filleted.  On occasion I noticed people from the south were accustomed to eating whole fish, bone in.   Especially fish that they caught themselves.  I usually was reluctant to eat it that way, unless there were no other choices.

Since coming to the DR in 2008, I noticed many if not most locals eat fish whole with the bone in.  With a few exceptions.   

So bro your question is quite valid and it might help someone else.  Most of these restaurants, especially at the beach cook and serve the fish whole with the bone in.   What they do, is they put 1/2 to 3/4 inch spaced apart slits from head to fin.   And that makes it easier to peel it off the bone and enjoy it without getting a mouth full of bones.    You start off on one side, peeling off a piece at a time.   Once done, flip it over and attack the 2nd side.   

Because the fish is prepared with the bone in, it's usually easier to identify it as the fish they showed you before it's cooked.   You have the option of grilled or fried.   Usually 1 lb is good enough for the average person, especially because you'll have at least 2 sides to go with it.   Two people can share a 1 1/2 lb fish with sides and be okay.   

My ex Dominican GF from the states used to tease me, because her and her family took pride in eating the head.  And as an added bonus she would also eat the eye balls.  Yuck!

Ive learned to appreciate eating whole fish like this ( minus the head/eyes ).     In Sosua there are small Dominican restaurants that serve already cooked fish that is filleted.   It's not the same as eating a whole fish, but it's available if needed.     

The one connected to Baileys, got to get there by 11am before they run out, usually by 1230.   Rickys on Pedro Clisante,  There's one going up towards route 5 walking away from Merengue ( diag across from the chinese rest ).   Another next door to Sosua Lights.   The German Restaurant on PC is one of my favorites.   The fish is filleted and breaded but I find it tasty.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:09:05 PM by murano2010 »

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »
Thanks. I been getting filets and fingers. I appreciate the info. I'll be ready when I return. LoL!
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal