global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Current Observatios on the Strip/PC  (Read 189414 times)

murano2010

Re: Current Observatios on the Strip/PC
« Reply #1965 on: April 25, 2024, 10:26:49 AM »
Wednesday April 24th, a beautiful sunny and dry day. 

Thursday April 25th, rained in the wee hours until about 8ish.  Now it's partly cloudy with the sun trying to creep through the clouds.  Perfect temperature.   May turn out to be a lovely day after all. 
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

Al NYC

« Reply #1966 on: April 25, 2024, 12:27:09 PM »
April 24th 2024.   Sosua El Batey

65 yr old black expat found dead sitting in a chair on his balcony.   Cancer and/or heart failure most likely the cause.   Left behind a Haitian girlfriend, and a daughter he had with her.  Was supporting them both with his retirement funds.  He lived alone.  Without him alive, all support will cease for the Haitian lady and the daughter.     Unclear if he had relatives in the states to contact.

Any other info?? Like, his name?? Hotel or residence??

murano2010

« Reply #1967 on: April 25, 2024, 12:49:40 PM »

65 yr old black expat found dead sitting in a chair on his balcony.   Cancer and/or heart failure most likely the cause.   Left behind a Haitian girlfriend, and a daughter he had with her.  Was supporting them both with his retirement funds.  He lived alone.  Without him alive, all support will cease for the Haitian lady and the daughter.     Unclear if he had relatives in the states to contact.

His name was Eric.  Im not mentioning his last name for now.  Lived across from the former Mary Rose hotel on Alejo Martinez.   Lived in Sosua about the same amount of time as myself.    This is an old military photo of Eric.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 01:52:23 PM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

Al NYC

« Reply #1968 on: April 25, 2024, 02:13:28 PM »

His name was Eric.  Im not mentioning his last name for now.  Lived across from the former Mary Rose hotel on Alejo Martinez.   Lived in Sosua about the same amount of time as myself.    This is an old military photo of Eric.

Thanks. R.I.P. Eric.

murano2010

« Reply #1969 on: April 25, 2024, 04:29:20 PM »
My replacement Charles Schwab Debit Card was compromised yesterday.   Was contacted by CS yesterday claiming an attempt was made to charge my card $78.  The attempted charge was in Barcelona Spain.   

While in Nairobi, I requested CS to send me a new card to a stateside address, because I knew it would expire soon.  I didnt want to have an expired card while in the DR.   So I requested to get a replacement early. 

This is the 1st time a CS card of mine was compromised.   I physically used it a few times in the states before making it to the DR.   In the DR, all I did was pay my health insurance coverage in the DR, that was through email.   

Had to give them the updated expiration date and CVC code.   The only other purchase was a $5 charge using Charles Schwab on my phones digital wallet at a Super Pola terminal.    And renewing my PriceSmart membership online. 

So I have no idea how that card was compromised, so soon after having it activated.   

Charles Schwab is expediting a replacement card to be sent to the DR.   Should get it in about a week or less.    I hate that the number will be changed.  I had my previous number memorized.   Oh well.  Kudos to Charles Schwab for not even letting that transaction happen, promptly advising me, and sending me another card to the DR with no hesitation.   

murano2010

« Reply #1970 on: April 27, 2024, 02:42:17 AM »
Friday April 26th.  Partly cloudy day.  Some sprinkles late afternoon

I picked up some friends from POP this afternoon.   Took over an hour for them to come out.  Because multiple flights had arrived, which meant that immigration would be super crowded.   When I got back to POP on the 16th, I believe it was only one plane that had arrived.  And I was one of the 1st passengers to make it to immigration.

I was out of the terminal in less than 30 minutes.   These fellas got checked in to their hotel, then we went to get lunch.  After lunch, exchange money and buy groceries at Playero.    On the way to Playero I spotted Mapello.   One guy in my car who knows Mapello, exchanged 300 USD.

Mapello said that the rate dropped slightly during the day, and he was offering 57.80.   The other two cats wasnt feeling Mapello, they decided to wait to exchange in Playero.   Playero only offered 57 to 1.   They probably should have exchanged with Mapello.  But I didnt know what the rate in the store would be.   We all learned what the better choice was.

While in the store, eye contact was made between these dudes and a pair of sexy chicas.   Numbers were exchanged with one.   Later one of the cats said the chick wanted $100.   He claimed she accepted a counter offer of $60.    I guess I wasnt in the frame of mind of getting too deep into what they were doing.   It just seemed like they were enjoying the moment flirting.

But if I were them, I would only be discussing compensation in pesos, not USD.  I wasnt really in teacher mode, and I expected that they should know what they are doing, since all of them have been to Sosua before.   The chick accepted his counter offer, but I dont know if they arranged to meet.   

Which turns out to be something we talked about here before.  Just because chicks tell a guy a hundred dollars doesnt mean thats the bottom line price.    In fact, a dude may be able to do slightly better than that, and offer 3000 pesos for ST.    3000 at todays rate is about $51 USD.    I can recall when 3000 pesos was about $63 USD.    Because that is what I used to give some of my regulars for an overnight. 

Even if a guy offers 3500 pesos for ST today, still thats slightly under $60 dollars.   

On the way out of the store in the parking lot, a tall drink of water pulled up beside my car.  She was getting some attention from the guys in my car.   She turned around to see who was trying to holler at her.   Wide open for business, and spoke English.    That exchange was brief, and then she went into the store because it started drizzling.

My guess is, that chick may be firm on wanting at least 5000 pesos for ST, or quote $100 as her fee.    I base that on her speaking English, her driving a car, and rating her as a solid 7+ visually.  It's always interesting to me, watching how guys behave and operate when they get to Sosua.

I truly see how my perspective navigating in Sosua is totally structured differently than guys coming for vacation.   One major difference is in our choices of places to eat.   While I may have a problem paying 28% tax on a dining bill at the usual venues around town.

Vacationing dudes dont have any reservations of going to the places that do charge 28% tax on the dining bill.   Those are the places many guys want to go to dine.   Because they arent in the same frame of mind as some of us expats in terms of seeing dining in Sosua as taking advantage because we are tourists.   

For the average guy that comes to Sosua,  as far as they are concerned, dining is cheap in Sosua.  Cant argue with that compared to what guys are paying in the states for dining out.

One of the guys had mentioned Finger Finger in terms of how much they enjoyed the food at his place.  But see, I have a totally different mindset when it comes to dealing with a character like Finger Finger.   Certain guys that I know would not even bother with dining at his spot, because they were scammed on their meals or over charged.

But guys on vacation, dont see dining at FF as being overcharged.  Mostly vets and/or expats would see the con games or baiting and switching going on.  To the average guy on vacation, FF is a great host.  A down to earth brother, who serves great food.   Which is totally different from my overall perspective.   

One can apply what Im saying also to Mosha.  Some vacationers swear that Mosha is the most down to earth brother, that serves great food.  He has a great mouthpiece.   He can be personable when he thinks he has customers.    Whereas guys like myself see him from more perspectives than what others may not see or experience. 

What I see in guys today, coming to Sosua is them going to an amusement park, that have somewhat dangerous rides.  They are not necessarily going to be as focused on learning the ins and outs of the game as serious vets or expats.   Their time here is limited, and they will go back home.

They are only going to apply enough information so they can get through their vacation, and then come back to do it all over again.   For the time being they will be in the enamored stage with Sosua and it's players. 

Meanwhile, I may get to a point, I'll be planning my next trip in the next 3 to 4 months, and earn the feeling of missing Sosua all over again.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 02:51:01 AM by murano2010 »

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #1971 on: April 27, 2024, 05:42:23 AM »
You got that right guys on vacation verses morre seasoned vets that know the prices and places not to get gringoed,,,.Any who just came back from a 4 day trip,,,,,My haitain chica wanted fish,,, so i Stolled down to Sosua beach, one of the first Donimican shacks on the left, for got the name, I ordered red snapper with fried bannas,, Advertiesd price 900 pesos, added tax came to 1100,,,, if it was me i think it was too much, but chica was happy and said other places better fish but 1500 pesos,,,,,So be mindfull on prices if your budget Savey !

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #1972 on: April 27, 2024, 07:22:07 AM »
That's what I was getting at in a previous post. Sure, advice can be had here for exchange rates, toto/rental car prices and what guys should be paying, however there's little info delving into actual local prices for goods.

Tug, you corrected me on bottled water prices being no more than 30 pesos. Can you gentlemen expound upon this? I've been lucky on a few short squeezes as of late and have money to burn but knowing I'm unfairly paying more for anything would put me in a extremely foul mood. Can't help, got some deep principles.

murano2010

« Reply #1973 on: April 27, 2024, 08:11:21 AM »
That's what I was getting at in a previous post. Sure, advice can be had here for exchange rates, toto/rental car prices and what guys should be paying, however there's little info delving into actual local prices for goods.

Tug, you corrected me on bottled water prices being no more than 30 pesos. Can you gentlemen expound upon this? I've been lucky on a few short squeezes as of late and have money to burn but knowing I'm unfairly paying more for anything would put me in a extremely foul mood. Can't help, got some deep principles.
The reason why certain specific information is not provided, is because it is not usually asked.   And when it is asked, that info quickly gets buried and lost in piles of pages.

You asked for members to expound.   You mean on prices of water?   Or do you mean the prices on all sorts of things?   IMO, it's better to ask specific questions on what things one is interested in knowing?   Like if one were asking where is the best place to buy liquor in Sosua?  Those who have the answer, may be able to help.

The best price, best place to get it, or where not to look for it etc.    It's easy to post prices of whats common to everyone.

It's not common to free flow giving prices on things that may not be that important or significant to the masses, unless someone asks.    In other words, a well formed question or inquiry on something specific may help those with quality information to provide helpful details.

On the issue of water.   A lot of Airbnbs and some proactive hotels provide water dispensers in their units.   In Sosua, I see most guys going to the supermarket or local colmado to buy small cases of water.   The price on cases of water is not something most guys focus much on in a supermarket or grocery store.

The price of water is more of an issue when dining out somewhere, and ordering a bottle of water to drink.   The price of a bottle of water will be tourist inflated, compared to the 5 gallon water bottle I get from the water plant.   That 5 gallon water bottle price was 35 pesos when I bought my last bottle back in September.   

A 12 oz or 16 oz bottle of water while dining out as a tourist could be anywhere from 60 pesos and up to 100 pesos depending on where one is dining.  Just buying a bottle of cold water from a grocery store, the price will be pretty low.   

Like 15 to 30 pesos, and it will be cold.  Always cheaper in the neighborhoods of locals, than where tourists frequent.    The small colmado on the beach is an excellent place to buy snacks, water or soft drink beverages while lounging on beach chairs.   

One of the things I like about when Im in the Philippines, is the lower cost of soft drink beverages while dining out, even when they are piling on the ice.  Plus most restaurants offer free service water if asked.   In most tourist places in the DR, they dont offer free service water, because they want to make money from serving drinks, even water.   

And now, more and more the vessels that beverages are served in, has gotten smaller.   Cups and glasses. Or they raise the price, if the glasses/cups are the same.   

Where local Haitians or Dominicans dine/eat, pitchers of free water and cups may be on the table.   Thats how many locals operate when they dine together.    Even in the home. The drinking of soda and juice is more of a foreigner practice, and a habit adopted by locals.   An exception is when locals elect to drink cervezas with their meals.  Like at a cookout, at the beach or just in general.   

Most times a visit to a local Dominican restaurant where locals are getting a bargain meal, you will see them drink water.  Not necessarily wasting their money on sweet beverages.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 08:38:44 AM by murano2010 »

Viva La Vega

« Reply #1974 on: April 27, 2024, 08:12:41 AM »

I don't feel I have ever been unfairly charged for anything is Sosua. You may pay a little less or a little more wherever you end up, but the operators are working to stay open and make a little profit. A burger with fries at the spot of the corner by Bon will be less than $10, at Bailee the same thing with tax added will be about $15 or so. Both fair value for the environment.

On the subject of bottled water, i did pay 15 pesos at a gas station coming back from Santiago to get a bottle of nice cold water into me.

Parking by the lower parking lot of Sosua beach i did not think I would make it to Mofongo King, so I paid 25 pesos at the public bathroom to get it out of me.

PoonTangClan

« Reply #1975 on: April 27, 2024, 08:37:35 AM »

I don't feel I have ever been unfairly charged for anything is Sosua. You may pay a little less or a little more wherever you end up, but the operators are working to stay open and make a little profit. A burger with fries at the spot of the corner by Bon will be less than $10, at Bailee the same thing with tax added will be about $15 or so. Both fair value for the environment.

On the subject of bottled water, i did pay 15 pesos at a gas station coming back from Santiago to get a bottle of nice cold water into me.

Parking by the lower parking lot of Sosua beach i did not think I would make it to Mofongo King, so I paid 25 pesos at the public bathroom to get it out of me.

Bailee is pretty much charging the equivalent of U.S. based restaurants with its pricing these days.

$15 is roughly the price you pay here in the U.S. for a burger (and maybe some fries, depending on where you go) at most popular mid-tier full service chain restaurants like Chili’s, TGI Friday’s, Red Lobster, IHOP, etc.

Even though Bailee primarily operates with pesos, they have their food priced in such a way that your stronger U.S. currency, whether you exchange it for pesos or not, nets you NO discounted benefit.

This is happening in a lot of places frequented by tourists, not just Bailee, and the f--ked up part about is that this U.S. based pricing model is definitely pinching the locals, who exclusively make their money in pesos. If you’re paying U.S. type prices in pesos, those pesos aren’t going to stretch very far. 

murano2010

« Reply #1976 on: April 27, 2024, 09:13:40 AM »
Yesterday I treated the fellas at Margots restaurant.   One guy had the chicken marsala with rice and veggies. And one small cerveza.     I highly recommend that meal he had.  He said it was good.  It looked great to me. 

Two of us had the fish and chips, and one cerveza ( me nothing to drink ).  We both felt our fish was unseasoned.  It definitely needed the tartar and hot sauce.   Ive tasted much better fish when I was in the states 2 weeks ago, at a local neighborhood spot.    Another guy had a gorgeous slice of chocolate cake ( thats it )

The last dude had some cheese appetizer, then a cheeseburger with fries, and a bottle of water.   Total cost $4,300 pesos.   I think it was either 18% or 28% added to the bill.    Then I added 400 pesos for the tip.    Those guys benefitted from my hospitality because one of those guys I consider him my brother from another mother.   We both have supported each other over the years.  We used to be neighbors as well.    Now were brothers.    He helped me a lot with my house, and my affairs while I was transitioning to living abroad.     

So that bill was basically $80.   One could argue that was too much just for lunch.    I could have taken them to Nonas Dominican restaurant in Sosua, and fed everyone, and with drinks for about $60 USD, but paid it in pesos.

One, the food and the drinks would be cheaper.  There wouldnt be 18% or 28% tax on the bill.   

A local Dominican spot I go to on the highway going towards Cabarete the lunch is 175 pesos for a plate/container.  Rice and beans, meat and salad.   So feeding 5 men , each with one cerveza would cost about $1400 pesos.   Just under $24.    My point here is.   If one is just eating to satisfy hunger, a meal can be had very affordably.

But if it's more about the dining experience, and eating something particular,  the cost of having that can be significantly inflated in a tourist area.   As an expat/vet.   I fluctuate in how I manage my meals daily.   I may pay more mainly when I want something specific to eat.  Or when hanging with other guys.   Other times, I may eat frugally.   I also have no problem eating leftovers.   

I have no set pattern of when I choose to pay more or pay less.   My motivation may strictly lie on what I want to eat in the moment.   On occasion I may be anal on avoiding paying for things I think is not worth it.   Like buying mixed drinks full of ice that arent made well, or the place is stingy on their portions of food.   And of course my disdain for paying 28% tax on a bill that may be equivalent to being able to buy 2 meals at a local Dominican spot. 

At the Playero yesterday, I splurged on buying a rare item they had in the store.  Rica EggNog.   That shit was over 325 pesos for a quart.   I bought two bottles.   That shit costs more than a gallon of gas.   2 bottles is equivalent to $11 USD.   Thats ridiculous when you really pay attention to prices.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 09:25:42 AM by murano2010 »

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #1977 on: April 27, 2024, 12:09:13 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. What I gather from what you wrote, is that the USD is ass raping the peso, causing some serious dilution and driving up convenience costs from the locals in gringo hangouts. As fukced as it is, I can't blame them seizing a golden opportunity from tourist ignorance. Still fukced though.

@Murano You treated transient friends out and paid a bit of a premium at what I can assume was a higher end beachfront place? Quality is quality. I could live with something like that.

What I'm effectively trying to ascertain is a ballpark figure of the costs of products overall, not just in the Su but the DR as a whole, most tourist areas excluded.

I know fuel costs are high, but what about tobacco for instance? I pay $10 for a pack of smokes stateside. Case of brew ~$15-$20. Hotel in Santo was $100/night for a 4 star vs $150+ USD. A decent cut of ribeye from a butcher, maybe $25-$35 and so on...

Point is, if I'm in Manhattan, I expect to pay Manhattan prices. Same goes for Anywhereville, Mississippi.

From yalls experiences and viewpoints, how much do you expect to pay for anything in the DR compared to what you'll pay at home or in your birthplace if you're an expat? Trying to be armed with more negotiating prowess, so 50% of US costs, 75% etc?

I'm talking any local good that comes to mind? i.e. a thread mentioned a mango being quoted at 150 pesos when in reality, it was less than 50. Stealing a quote from The Wire, the details matter.

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #1978 on: April 27, 2024, 01:07:54 PM »
2 schools of thought, sure if your on vacation 4 to 7 days and your there for fun  ,enjoy your self,,,, dont over pay for chicas, now if your there for an exstened toime live like a local, your dollar or  meaning when you pay in pesos goes a long way, ,i stayed for 60 days so i was carfule on spending, housing food transportation,,,  Regular budget to maintain a chica well that was costly but i had budget for that, i did find food prices were the same as US,  i did cook all my own food mabey went out to dinner once a week,, So an informed consumer of services and goods you can save money !

murano2010

« Reply #1979 on: April 27, 2024, 01:32:34 PM »
@Murano You treated transient friends out and paid a bit of a premium at what I can assume was a higher end beachfront place? Quality is quality. I could live with something like that.

To be honest, if the same food me and my buddies had was served at Kings or the Waterfront restaurant.  Each item would have cost a little bit more.  The cervezas and the chocolate cake would have cost a little bit more as well.  Margot's restaurant I dont  exactly consider it higher end and it's not a beachfront establishment.   Me and one of the guys that had the fish and chips, did not consider that a quality meal.  It just looked good on the plate.   

But they do try to provide professional service and ambiance.  To me, it's just a restaurant connected to a hotel that serves mostly tourists or locals that are willing to pay higher prices and the 28% taxes there.   

Margot's is further away from the strip.   Their immediate competition is from the restaurant next door (which used to be called Bologna.  Now it's called Amarone.)   

Bologna/Amarone has been there much longer than Margots.   But Margots has evolved over the years to be a pretty popular restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.    Their indoor seating is well decorated and has a nice ambiance.   Unlike Bailee's, Margot is not a place where chicas go to hang out, looking for work.

But it is a place one will see guys bringing chicas there to dine, especially if they are staying at the connected hotel Margarita.   
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 01:35:58 PM by murano2010 »

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal