global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Why is POP so high?!  (Read 4297 times)

Stones

Re: Why is POP so high?!
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2022, 11:08:01 AM »
I think it's about $100 for a taxi from STI to Sosua. Or spend about $25 for a taxi to the bus station in Santiago and from there hop on a Metro bus that will take you into the heart of Sosua. Cost is around $8 for the bus but I haven't taken that route in a couple years. There is a bus about every hour.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:10:03 AM by Stones »

Coochie93

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2022, 01:11:02 AM »
I am going for my first time in June and from Cleveland to POP it's costing 1,000+ WTF?! Is it always this high?

For those who go to STI what taxi or bus service do you use and is it worth the 90 minute drive?

My first time coming to the Su i flew to STI because it was cheaper. The ride is definatelty long but you will get some scenic views through the mountains so its not so bad. Just make sure you do the math and make sure those two taxis plus the flight to STI doesnt end up being MORE than a flight to POP. I made that mistake and realized i did all that hassle and only saved like 50 bucks. Also keep in mind those roads are tight so when its time to come back give yourself some extra time in case theres an accident or something.

flights on my location are 1,000 plus, I doubt the taxi ride will be that bad. Any pointers are tips on choosing a taxi so I don't get robbed or look like a rube? Do I need to exchange some money to give the driver pesos? How much is it?

Stones

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2022, 07:34:34 AM »
Taxi drivers will usually quote you in U.S. Dollars. Don't exchange money at the airport. You'll receive an unfavorable rate. There will be plenty of places to exchange dollars once you check into your hotel. Bank ATMs are trustworthy, for example. Western Union is another good option and perhaps even your hotel's front desk. Speaking of Western Union, you can even wire some money to yourself in Sosua before leaving the states. When you pick up the transfer you'll be paid in pesos.

Coochie93

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2022, 03:44:27 PM »
So you are saying take the bus? Would you bring checked luggage or just a carry-on?

jd66

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2022, 04:06:25 PM »
So you are saying take the bus? Would you bring checked luggage or just a carry-on?

You can bring checked luggage with the bus no problem.  They put it underneath in storage

Irie mon

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2022, 11:28:31 PM »
Taxi drivers will usually quote you in U.S. Dollars. Don't exchange money at the airport. You'll receive an unfavorable rate. There will be plenty of places to exchange dollars once you check into your hotel. Bank ATMs are trustworthy, for example. Western Union is another good option and perhaps even your hotel's front desk. Speaking of Western Union, you can even wire some money to yourself in Sosua before leaving the states. When you pick up the transfer you'll be paid in pesos.

All great advice expect for the last sentence.  If you pick up pesos from WU today, you’d get 48 per US dollar.  If you choose to pick up the same currency you’re sending you’d see 54+ pesos per dollar.  Whatever your home currency is that’s what you want the WU man to hand you.

Stones

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2022, 02:07:46 AM »

All great advice expect for the last sentence.  If you pick up pesos from WU today, you’d get 48 per US dollar.  If you choose to pick up the same currency you’re sending you’d see 54+ pesos per dollar.  Whatever your home currency is that’s what you want the WU man to hand you.

Perhaps you are right. Best to ask Western Union for the details. Bottom line: You can wire money to yourself in advance of your trip to Sosua. I mean, at best we're talking nickels and dimes on the exchange rate for sending yourself a few hundred USD via an extremely reputable international company such as Western Union. Hotel rooms in Sosua can be robbed. Safes in your room can be compromised. ATM networks in Sosua can go down for the entire weekend. Doesn't hurt to have $500 on the books at Western Union even if you don't pull the money out until you're headed back to the U.S. Western Union always has your cash -- even if the ATMs are unavailable. That in itself is worth any tiny variables in the exchange rate.

But, again: Ask Western Union for the details.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 07:49:23 AM by Stones »

jd66

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2022, 12:08:20 PM »

Perhaps you are right. Best to ask Western Union for the details. Bottom line: You can wire money to yourself in advance of your trip to Sosua. I mean, at best we're talking nickels and dimes on the exchange rate for sending yourself a few hundred USD via an extremely reputable international company such as Western Union. Hotel rooms in Sosua can be robbed. Safes in your room can be compromised. ATM networks in Sosua can go down for the entire weekend. Doesn't hurt to have $500 on the books at Western Union even if you don't pull the money out until you're headed back to the U.S. Western Union always has your cash -- even if the ATMs are unavailable. That in itself is worth any tiny variables in the exchange rate.

A 6 RD difference is $3,000 RD on $500.   Maybe nothing to some but pure foolishness  if you don't understand how it all works.

You always send and receive in USD and then convert it afterwards.  WU is making additional money on the exchange over and above the fees and those that are not aware of what's going on are getting taken for a ride.

Not to mention WU has some of the worst fees going

Henny White

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2022, 01:24:40 PM »

A 6 RD difference is $3,000 RD on $500.   Maybe nothing to some but pure foolishness  if you don't understand how it all works.

You always send and receive in USD and then convert it afterwards.  WU is making additional money on the exchange over and above the fees and those that are not aware of what's going on are getting taken for a ride.

Not to mention WU has some of the worst fees going

Agreed. Way to many cheaper platforms today then WU.

Jazzy2019

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2022, 01:40:30 PM »
Absolutely there are cheaper options. You can send yourself $1,000 via Xoom for $20. That’s cheaper than if you withdrew an equivalent about from an ATM after accounting for maximum per transaction limits.

Henny White

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2022, 03:01:45 PM »
Absolutely there are cheaper options. You can send yourself $1,000 via Xoom for $20. That’s cheaper than if you withdrew an equivalent about from an ATM after accounting for maximum per transaction limits.

💪🏽That's actually my preferred one. Easily sent rite from your phone.

Stones

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2022, 03:21:03 PM »
Of course there are multiple options for transferring money. Western Union is just one. Everybody can get in where they fit in.

Irie mon

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2022, 04:43:30 PM »
Sending $1,000 WU can be as little as $8 in fees (photo below).  But when we're talking about an extra $10 to send with who you're comfortable with...ehh, I'd go with comfort. 

Jazzy2019

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2022, 05:23:29 PM »
Sending $1,000 WU can be as little as $8 in fees (photo below).  But when we're talking about an extra $10 to send with who you're comfortable with...ehh, I'd go with comfort.

The $8 fee only applies if you go to an WU office here in the states and deposit the amount you're looking to transfer. The cheapest online option is $21, but they guarantee receipt in 0-4 days. To obtain immediate payment you need to pay by debit card a the cost is $36 to send $1,000.

Irie mon

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
That’s correct.  I don’t see a downside to that option…unless you’re already in the RD wanting to wire yourself money while on vacation.  The $8 in-store fee you simply fill out online and bring your code and $1000 to a WU store and boom $8 fee.   I don’t think any other option touches in comparison cost wise.  Is there more convenient & expensive options - definitely!

Sending myself $1000 from my bank account in my state would cost $19.  $2000 - only $30!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 06:17:31 PM by Irie mon »

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal