global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: E. Dean Cole sells Atlanta Lights  (Read 9125 times)

Stones

Re: E. Dean Cole sells Atlanta Lights
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 06:53:56 AM »
Openning a business anywhere means a 24/7 comitment

True.  However, you can set it up that you don't have to be physically there 24/7.  That's why building your team matters.

Trying to operate a startup, mom-and-pop business remotely is the fastest way to go out of business.

MrNavigator

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 08:55:49 AM »
JD66 you probably are right. I probably would be better off renting a larger apt and having get togethers in the spot. I know a lot of frat guys as I’m 30 and know the 23-40 year old guys who hit sosua and Cartagena frequently. A location near the beach to drink, shoot the shits and eye women was the main goal. I pretty much do that on the beach, I’d just be doing it near the beach on an actual location instead of home, that’s why I figured a 300$ spot might be practical if I didn’t have any expectations. However I don’t want to regret anything so I’d just get a bigger spot and we can do all that inside, and hunt outside. I kept getting offers to be a tour guide but it’s not really my thing long term.

I like business to be business and leisure to be leisure but I guess trying to combine them in the DR definitely would backfire given the other factors.

I can tell most on here commenting didn't read what you said in your first post about "starting" a business and only having it open for the 3-5 months you are there then closing it down if you can get a short term lease for under $500 a month. They also didn't see the the low overhead costs and have it as a place NOT to make a real profit but mainly as a hangout spot.

I'm going to take a guess that you work remotely so that would be your MAIN source of income. You want a place your friends and other can enjoy, hangout and bird watch....NOT to be in competition with others. You know alot of people personally so when you are around they can keep an eye on things.

I can tell you from my own experiences yes this can work if you keep this mindset and you may break even or lil more while gaining valuable experience that you can use for your next venture. I'm usually against business ventures or buying apts n house to rent in foreign countries.

Some on here have heard me say investing in the 3rd world is dangerous, especially if you are using your main resources. For what you are talking bout I would say research a little more, find a good place to rent, vett the owner and make friends with businesses near the location and GO FOR IT!

Lastly let me know if you do it as I will definitely stop by. I luv making drinks myself and WOMEN/chicas luv that sh!t!

Travelguy90

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 10:20:33 AM »
JD66 you probably are right. I probably would be better off renting a larger apt and having get togethers in the spot. I know a lot of frat guys as I’m 30 and know the 23-40 year old guys who hit sosua and Cartagena frequently. A location near the beach to drink, shoot the shits and eye women was the main goal. I pretty much do that on the beach, I’d just be doing it near the beach on an actual location instead of home, that’s why I figured a 300$ spot might be practical if I didn’t have any expectations. However I don’t want to regret anything so I’d just get a bigger spot and we can do all that inside, and hunt outside. I kept getting offers to be a tour guide but it’s not really my thing long term.

I like business to be business and leisure to be leisure but I guess trying to combine them in the DR definitely would backfire given the other factors.

I can tell most on here commenting didn't read what you said in your first post about "starting" a business and only having it open for the 3-5 months you are there then closing it down if you can get a short term lease for under $500 a month. They also didn't see the the low overhead costs and have it as a place NOT to make a real profit but mainly as a hangout spot.

I'm going to take a guess that you work remotely so that would be your MAIN source of income. You want a place your friends and other can enjoy, hangout and bird watch....NOT to be in competition with others. You know alot of people personally so when you are around they can keep an eye on things.

I can tell you from my own experiences yes this can work if you keep this mindset and you may break even or lil more while gaining valuable experience that you can use for your next venture. I'm usually against business ventures or buying apts n house to rent in foreign countries.

Some on here have heard me say investing in the 3rd world is dangerous, especially if you are using your main resources. For what you are talking bout I would say research a little more, find a good place to rent, vett the owner and make friends with businesses near the location and GO FOR IT!

Lastly let me know if you do it as I will definitely stop by. I luv making drinks myself and WOMEN/chicas luv that sh!t!
Thanks you definitely hit the nail on the head of what I was going for. Throwing a party could also work, so I’m open minded. I guess I’ll do some real research March when I’m there. I’m not fully remote yet but I am transitioning towards it, and I have the spare capital to burn if I’m not too tied up. A small 10x20 space, tv/projector and spot to set up a few tables, chairs and counters is all I really need. I can handle the music and electronics with a laptop/smartphone and Bluetooth speaker so total cost would be under 300$ for the none alcohol entertainment. I’ll definitely post and let you know if I actually do go forward with it. Essentially it’s a food truck but bigger. I definitely want to be able to open and close quickly like within an hour.

I definitely would go out the way to get cool with the fellow vendors and local community. Might donate some food/soups every few days to the locals so that they see I’m cool but I ain’t got an abundance of things, I’m staying away from selling food. Thanks all for the advice and input because I don’t want a dean cole or Dave’s Plaza situation where I’m too invested and made zilch to dent the debt I incurred
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

lazy_monger

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 06:52:57 PM »
Openning a business anywhere means a 24/7 comitment

True.  However, you can set it up that you don't have to be physically there 24/7.  That's why building your team matters.

Trying to operate a startup, mom-and-pop business remotely is the fastest way to go out of business.

You are absolutely right. We are a small business but we are not a mom and pop shop. It was created with the intent that it wouldn't consume my time. I know what I don't know and I have met gringos who have successfully ran businesses without living in the business. I don't need to reinvent the wheel, I spoke with people who have done what I wanted to do.  I listen to people. It is tedious at first but you can set up your business to function without you. I ain't subbing for a cook or bartender.

Stones

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 07:05:23 PM »
Oh sure, @lazy_monger, but if you're in the USA, and your team is in the Dominican Republic -- then it won't be long before everyone on the squad starts stealing from you. And that's a fact.

JayMillz

• Devoted Contributer
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 08:09:40 PM »
Never understood why all you dudes preaching the blackeddy black stuff never supported the brotha
Sosua = (S)imps (O)r (S)uckers (U)sually (A)merican

lazy_monger

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 11:13:02 PM »
Oh sure, @lazy_monger, but if you're in the USA, and your team is in the Dominican Republic -- then it won't be long before everyone on the squad starts stealing from you. And that's a fact.

I share your cynicism but I have friends who have made it work in the DR. I am doing it in Colombia and my boy is doing it in Costa Rica. We aren't naive. We just have a system that monitors the money. Again, I know what I don't know so I ask. People are making money so how do they do it. I ask and they tell. It is part of the due diligence.

lazy_monger

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2022, 07:39:29 AM »

Thanks you definitely hit the nail on the head of what I was going for. Throwing a party could also work, so I’m open minded. I guess I’ll do some real research March when I’m there. I’m not fully remote yet but I am transitioning towards it, and I have the spare capital to burn if I’m not too tied up. A small 10x20 space, tv/projector and spot to set up a few tables, chairs and counters is all I really need. I can handle the music and electronics with a laptop/smartphone and Bluetooth speaker so total cost would be under 300$ for the none alcohol entertainment. I’ll definitely post and let you know if I actually do go forward with it. Essentially it’s a food truck but bigger. I definitely want to be able to open and close quickly like within an hour.

I definitely would go out the way to get cool with the fellow vendors and local community. Might donate some food/soups every few days to the locals so that they see I’m cool but I ain’t got an abundance of things, I’m staying away from selling food. Thanks all for the advice and input because I don’t want a dean cole or Dave’s Plaza situation where I’m too invested and made zilch to dent the debt I incurred

Do it right or don't do it at all. I love hanging out with my boys but if my money is involved I want to make money. We have a good time in the bar but it ain't no charity for the homies in some Facebook group and my marketing strategy isn't smoking cigars and talking shit online. Throw a party if you not looking to make money.  There is a lot of shit you need to consider when owning a bar. Even E. Dean Cole couldn't make it look easy. So when you post your "look how fine my waitresses are" videos remember that is labor cost.

Travelguy90

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »
😆😆😆😆😆 Lazy you making me laugh. I ain’t got time to be in YouTube smoking and rambling for 30 minutes let alone 1.5-3hrs on YouTube via life stream asking for patron donations. It’s locals there who can’t even get there own platform off and they have content centered around Sosua. At most I’d have 2 waitress if even. It’d be me mainly just mixing drinks and chilling. It’s no freebies, maybe a discount but nothing free.

A 27$ bootle of Ciroc can make you over 90$, upwards of $170 depending on if you do shots or not. I’m not money hungry, but I’m not stupid and know I have to hit a break even cost at some point. With a low overhead though I can definitely get a solid 15 different bottles for under 500 that range from entry, medium and topshelf. That’s all I’d need because of minimum expectations. If I had 20 guys come in wanting to buy out all the to shelf it’d be a good problem but highly unlikely as they’d likely do it at an actual bar or store and I’d be selling mixed drinks not straight up liquor unless requested. I purposely chose a stay out the way niche but vibes with the beach lifestyle.

I’m in Rio now but looking at real estate instead beach bar locations. I’ll figure DR out March, if you there then maybe I’ll pick your brain for advice over a beer
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

Viva La Vega

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2022, 08:29:13 AM »
I’ll figure DR out March, if you there then maybe I’ll pick your brain for advice over a beer

I will be there in March, i will happily talk you out of opening a hobby business over a beer.

Stones

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2022, 05:58:43 PM »
Anybody wanting to open a joint in the DR should talk to Big D (as in Big D's Barbecue). He's from the states -- I think Atlanta -- and once he opened Big D's BBQ he was in that joint on the regular. I mean: Every. f--king. Day. No Zoom bullshit. No calling in from the states to check on things. He, himself, was on the f--king ground -- or he closed his place for a minute if he had to return to the USA to handle some personal things.

Big D migrated to the DR, learned Spanish, made connections, and then opened his joint. And if his joint was open, then he was on duty. I fully believe that's the only way you can run a joint in Sosua/Puerto Plata and have a chance to win as an American. Especially if you are a black American. One exception could be Bourbon Street, who is truly international and appears to move as he pleases. He appears to have fully grasped the concept of running a spot in the DR (Ahnvee) while not having to be on the ground every single night.

But not everyone can do that.

Peace.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:11:15 PM by Stones »

HitandRun

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2022, 10:58:44 AM »
Big D has a small outfit, not hard to run.
He has moved about 10 times.
Dean took on a project too big.
Not knowing the culturebor anything.
He just say property and jumped on it.
But if co-vid had not hit, Lights would have been booming.
He bought at the wrong time.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2022, 11:31:16 AM »
Anybody wanting to open a joint in the DR should talk to Big D (as in Big D's Barbecue). He's from the states -- I think Atlanta -- and once he opened Big D's BBQ he was in that joint on the regular. I mean: Every. f--king. Day. No Zoom bullshit. No calling in from the states to check on things. He, himself, was on the f--king ground -- or he closed his place for a minute if he had to return to the USA to handle some personal things.

Big D migrated to the DR, learned Spanish, made connections, and then opened his joint. And if his joint was open, then he was on duty. I fully believe that's the only way you can run a joint in Sosua/Puerto Plata and have a chance to win as an American. Especially if you are a black American. One exception could be Bourbon Street, who is truly international and appears to move as he pleases. He appears to have fully grasped the concept of running a spot in the DR (Ahnvee) while not having to be on the ground every single night.

But not everyone can do that.

Peace.

You are not describing a business. Big D sounds like he is self employed. Which is cool, but he still is pretty much exchanging time for dollars, with limited leverage (better than working for someone else) in that his employees are not making him money if he is not there.

1/ Be employed: You make your money and money for your boss
2/ Be self employed: You make money when you work
3/ Be a business operator: Your employees make you money
4/ Be a passive investor: Your money makes you money

Trying to get to # 4... It ain't easy!

Stones

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Every point you make is exactly correct. Big D was on the ground himself knowing when to shake and move. So he moved 10 times? Still making money. Small outfit, not hard to run? Smart. Big D's experience backs my theory that as an American, you have to be hands on with a small enterprise in the DR. All the time.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 11:41:37 AM »

His ego got in the way and he took a (not well calculated) risk.

The landlord took a risk too. Sign over the few bits and pieces of furniture and equipment that has sat there since the place last operated about 5 years ago, and with the new lease, hope when the one year free rent was up, that the new operator actually could do what others could not in that location, and that Covid would be over.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 01:13:14 PM by Viva La Vega »

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal