global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: UBER Situation in DR  (Read 295 times)

JayMillz

• Devoted Contributer
UBER Situation in DR
« on: March 20, 2024, 08:24:29 AM »
For those that get around the country and have used Uber, what has been your experience in cities like Santiago, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo?
Sosua = (S)imps (O)r (S)uckers (U)sually (A)merican

Ltdan

Re: UBER Situation in DR
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 08:33:46 AM »
You book on the app you’ll have a driver call you or text and ask for a living wage in cash and if you agree they will head that way

Travelguy90

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 09:09:28 AM »
Needed to leave Sosua to get to Maimon, Uber wanted 800 peso, but at the end of the ride it was changed to 1200. Buddy got 1500 regardless for being a cool dude and not begging. He was gonna get tipped regardless for moving for the 800 without the headache. The previous driver talked himself out of money trying to be macho and begging in advance and trying to say “my friend this is how things work…” and not moving for 5-8 minutes after accepting the ride. I prefer to book Uber cash in DR for no double charge. In SD it worked out well using my card because I said someone else booked for me and I had no money, when leaving Caribetour fOr the airport. Now STI my buddy got screwed and doubled charged because the driver claimed “the app didn’t pay him and he needed cash” along with having a firearm in the car. So I prefer to just pay Ubercash
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

PoonTangClan

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 11:46:13 AM »
Uber is hit or miss in DR. It’s been much more consistently reliable for me in other countries with drivers accepting the ride and the rate without question.

In DR, the drivers are always trying or wanting to get the ride off the app, and I don’t mind paying a little more, so long as the off-app price is reasonable and you’re not trying to aggressively twist my arm about it and carry on with shenanigans like accepting the ride and not moving, etc.

In DR, you gotta be careful with these Uber drivers because too many of them wanna run game for more money. You don’t want to find yourself in a situation where one of these dudes are trying to set you up. I had one driver one time that wanted to do a quick detour to pick up a friend, and I got aggressive like “Naa, take me straight to my destination.” WTF?

Maybe I overreacted, but I don’t play that shit.

TravelYoda

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 12:53:15 PM »
80% in/around Santo Domingo were seemless. All transaction through the app. The other 20% wanted to negotiate based on distance/traffic/what they felt was fair.  Ive take an uber from Santo Domingo to Sousa 3 times, (est 1500DOP) Each time had several cancellations and every eventual driver wanted to renegotiate outside of the app. In around STI was spotty, with long waits, long time searching for cars, many cancellations, lots of negotiating. Till this day, I haven't been able to find an UBER in Puerto Plata/Sosua/Caberete.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:30:02 AM by TravelYoda »

samashe

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 01:19:31 PM »
All these stories are accurate. The price the app gives you is too good to be true. They will ask you to cancel the trip and pay cash.  The refusing to leave until you agree is the worst, especially when you are trying to get to the airport.

Travelguy90

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 01:44:57 PM »
All these stories are accurate. The price the app gives you is too good to be true. They will ask you to cancel the trip and pay cash.  The refusing to leave until you agree is the worst, especially when you are trying to get to the airport.
You could cancel and try again. Sometimes it takes 3-6 tries but eventually you’ll find someone professional and about they money. Tell them in advance you not negotiating a fair that’s outrageous and cancel and report them to Uber. I got a less than 300$ peso ride to POP from near Sosua Inn, just had to cancel on a fair amount of people
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

JayMillz

• Devoted Contributer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 03:54:08 PM »
It totally slipped my mind because it was about 7-8 years ago, but I did use Uber in Santo Domingo a couple of times and didn't have any issues.  This was around Blue Mall.
Sosua = (S)imps (O)r (S)uckers (U)sually (A)merican

PoonTangClan

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 10:01:16 PM »
80% in/around Santo Domingo were seemless. All transaction through the app. The other 20% wanted to negotiate based on distance/traffic/what they felt was fare.  Ive take an uber from Santo Domingo to Sousa 3 times, (est 1500DOP) Each time had several cancellations and every eventual driver wanted to renegotiate outside of the app. In around STI was spotty, with long waits, long time searching for cars, many cancellations, lots of negotiating. Till this day, havent been able to find an UBER in Puerto Plata/Sosua/Caberete.

I agree on Santo Domingo. Not nearly as spotty as the Uber drivers in Sosua & Puerto Plata.

The taxi drivers don’t play in Sosua, lol. One time my Uber dropped me off in the Su in front of the taxi cats and they got real aggressive with him. I thought they were gonna beat the driver’s ass. 😆

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 04:46:16 AM »
Costombar Taxi giys will crusade any out siders  Buyer beware !

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal