global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Havana January 2024  (Read 2205 times)

Viva La Vega

Havana January 2024
« on: January 07, 2024, 02:06:41 AM »
The best is very good, and the worst is horrible.

As usual, i may get political in this thread if provoked but not now.

Just came back from a show in the Hotel National. Costumes, dancers, musicians, singers, FANTASTIC! Welcome drink, two drinks with a three course dinner and the show included is $60. Tipped the maitre'd on the way in and get the Henry Hill treatment. Any closer and we would have been on the stage. The cast was probably 40 singers/dancers, 30 women, 10 men all absolutely spectacular. Beautiful smiles, perfect skin, natural athletic bodies like you would never see in the DR. Toyed with the idea of waiting by the stage door, but it was raining. Another time.

Sticking to a route of the hotels and better restaurants, you would think there is no issue with the country, but my business takes me off the beaten path into deep Havana. The living conditions are frankly shocking. Thank the morons in the last administration and the current morons in the senate for continuing to tighten the screws... For what. To put this country on the same list as Iran, North Korea and Sudan is madness.  Consequently, there are no tourists, the hotels are empty, food is hard to find, gas stations are lined up for 6-8 hours, even the state cigars stores are low on stock. (opps, will try and return to regularly scheduled trip report).

Working my way through the rolodex and as I have mentioned in previous reports, so i have yet to find the honey hole. 10 years ago I knew all the places that were packed with chicas, now most have closed. But going to a couple of different places the next few nights and expect to find something new. I may even go back to the show and wait by the stage door!!!

Visiting is easier and more complicated at the same time. Tough to explain.

I will answer queries if they come up, otherwise will up date as we go... And will try not to go on a rant.

uth

Re: Havana January 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 09:23:04 AM »
Perhaps, Cuba is the way it is. Because communism doesn't work! 

Evac305

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 10:25:39 AM »
Try going to LM, FAC and 2.45

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 10:43:08 AM »
Funny that the present Administration  are bone heads and  and dim wits , open up trade bury them with capitalism,   could be a great place to visit. 

alexis

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 12:07:20 PM »
Communism never worked anywhere and everyone with a functioning brain knows it. Cuba has been and is struggling due to its past and present idotic leaders / dictators.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 06:32:38 PM »

Well let's just say it's complicated. There was a level of functionality when the Soviets were involved for the first 30 years after the revolution and there was trade (mainly in sugar) the 90's were brutal after the fall of the USSR. China became a trading partner to a certain degree and Venezuela provided crude which Cuba refined and returned as petrol.

Like the Soviets before them, China has their own shit to deal with and Venezuela no longer has the political will to trade. What was the hope of reduced sanctions and the possibility of removing the 60 year blockade went out the window in January 2021.

On the ground, there are more and more micro/small businesses opening with few restrictions. But it is hard to survive as a new capitalist if there is no one to purchase your goods and services.

uth

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 06:38:50 PM »

Well let's just say it's complicated. There was a level of functionality when the Soviets were involved for the first 30 years after the revolution and there was trade (mainly in sugar) the 90's were brutal after the fall of the USSR. China became a trading partner to a certain degree and Venezuela provided crude which Cuba refined and returned as petrol.

Like the Soviets before them, China has their own shit to deal with and Venezuela no longer has the political will to trade. What was the hope of reduced sanctions and the possibility of removing the 60 year blockade went out the window in January 2021.

On the ground, there are more and more micro/small businesses opening with few restrictions. But it is hard to survive as a new capitalist if there is no one to purchase your goods and services.

Ain't complicated at all. Because you will always run out.of somebody's else's money. The only people that benefit are government officials. Precisely why Venezuela is failing. Communist depending on other communist countries will eventually fail.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 06:51:34 PM »
A few things about dollars and cents, i will just talk dollars even though almost all transactions are expected in pesos or non US credit cards, money exchange could warrant it's own thread.

A nice hotel buffet breakfast, fresh juice, coffee, cereal, yogurt, fruit, cold cuts, cheese, sausages bacon, omelette bar, fresh breads and pastries is $7.75.

Just had a couple of vodka sodas on the roof deck of a brand new very nice hotel in old Havana and they were $1.85 each. I saw a flat of 24 imported beers for $13.85 and dinner tonight in a good quality spot including desert and a vodka soda was $14.25.

Taxis add up so its good to plan your days, a short distance is $10 (Charamicos to Super Pola) a medium distance in $15 (Sosua to Cabarete) and the airport run is $25 but its a fair way.

Even though Trinidad cigars are about $60 and we know the best Cohibas are in the $200-$300 range, i am fine with whats on offer in the $6-$8 range and I did buy some packs of hand made cigars for less than $2 each.

The Buena Vista Social club performance is about $45.

That's all for now, going to see some live music tonight... for a change!

Viva La Vega

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 07:35:41 AM »
I have never really tapped into the local life here. I had met an English guy, our age, in Jamaica last year who was retired and lived in Havana all winter. Gave him a call to meet up and he asked if we like rock and roll music... Sure.

The place La Casa de Armestad is at 19 y Paseo about a ten minute walk up the hill from The Cohiba. On entry I was blown away. It's a classic Havana mansion and the band was set up in the courtyard. Big place, capacity 500 or so. Last night about 200 folks... All in black wearing their AC DC t-shirts, and lots of folks in Harley gear. The demographic a bit older, it looked like Bike Week in Sturgis or Daytona, but all Spanish.

The band was incredible. Heavy rock and metal in full flight! Mostly Cuban but two Norwegians and woman up front with a wild voice. Great show, 6-9 non stop. Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, Bowie. Completely unexpected.

Dollars and cents... Now we are running with the locals. Cover charge was $.60, a beer was $.85, a small fried fish and some rice was $.60, and a bottle of white wine from Chile was $2.00. A little different from my usual wheelhouse.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 08:13:47 AM »
I am over my adventure from day one of going to Luyano in deep Havana. Got my rose colored glasses with blinders on and I am squinting a little bit so as not to see all the blemishes.

Havana is cool. Went to an old standby state run restaurant for lunch yesterday. Still banging it out after probably 75 years. Did not seem as busy as remembered it and one of the reason... Competition. There are so many cool privately owned spots opening up. By comparison... There is nothing cool in Sosua, at all...

Did a trifecta of hotels Yesterday, Presidente, Habana Libre, Melia Habana, Lunch at Al Ajibe, then cigars and coffee at LCDH at 5 y 16. The Presidente is classic, probably 80-90 years old. Havana Libre is 65 years old, and the Melia, probably 25 years old. All are fantastic places to hang out. Classic, culture, cool!

Got a little hammered early and did not go out looking for dinner until 9:00... When Sosua rolls up the sidewalks. Went to a great spot, packed with young Habaneros, great food, comfy lounge chairs outside, DJ. Food was great.

I am rethinking the rest of my year. I will be in DR most of Feb and March, each time I come here I say "thats it" because somehow I end up in Luyano and it's depressing, But Vedado, Playa, Miramar thats my jam. May make it here one or two more times in 2024

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 09:00:04 AM »
Communism never worked anywhere and everyone with a functioning brain knows it. Cuba has been and is struggling due to its past and present idotic leaders / dictators.
Key words Sir. kinda like the Dummy in the white house and other Social Communizim idiots in the USA ! soon to be like cuba hello !

Sangnyc21

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 01:51:57 PM »
I am over my adventure from day one of going to Luyano in deep Havana. Got my rose colored glasses with blinders on and I am squinting a little bit so as not to see all the blemishes.

Havana is cool. Went to an old standby state run restaurant for lunch yesterday. Still banging it out after probably 75 years. Did not seem as busy as remembered it and one of the reason... Competition. There are so many cool privately owned spots opening up. By comparison... There is nothing cool in Sosua, at all...

Did a trifecta of hotels Yesterday, Presidente, Habana Libre, Melia Habana, Lunch at Al Ajibe, then cigars and coffee at LCDH at 5 y 16. The Presidente is classic, probably 80-90 years old. Havana Libre is 65 years old, and the Melia, probably 25 years old. All are fantastic places to hang out. Classic, culture, cool!

Got a little hammered early and did not go out looking for dinner until 9:00... When Sosua rolls up the sidewalks. Went to a great spot, packed with young Habaneros, great food, comfy lounge chairs outside, DJ. Food was great.

I am rethinking the rest of my year. I will be in DR most of Feb and March, each time I come here I say "thats it" because somehow I end up in Luyano and it's depressing, But Vedado, Playa, Miramar thats my jam. May make it here one or two more times in 2024

Just a quick question. All the places you’re eating like hotel restaurants are you using cash or the mlc card?

stinqu

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 06:31:55 PM »
Key words Sir. kinda like the Dummy in the white house and other Social Communizim idiots in the USA ! soon to be like cuba hello !
Some people should learn that Social Democracy is before speaking. It is NOT COMMUNISM. The US. is the only First World country without free health care for their people. And yes we pay for it out of our taxes, but the cost is shared between every one.The government sets the drug prices for the most part and generic equivalents must be available. For the average family of 4 in Canada the percent of their income going to health care is 11%. in the US, 42%. To have a baby in the US. $10,000, Canada $0. The largest % of GO FUND ME pages in the US. are to pay medical bills. So you tell me, witch system is working better for it's people?

Viva La Vega

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 06:43:01 PM »

Just a quick question. All the places you’re eating like hotel restaurants are you using cash or the mlc card?

I do not use an MLC card. I have an offshore debit card that works when cash is not accepted. American debit and credit cards are not accepted.

Hotel National and Hotel Presidente and Havava Libre, take pesos. I have not been to a private or state place yet that does not accept pesos.  I have not been eating in the newest hotels this trip so I can not say if the card is still required. Last trip even in the coffeeshop of the Aston they did not accept pesos, only cards. Buying cigars and drinks in the cigar store in the Melia I have to use a card, the cigar store at 5 y16 i used the card for cigars and paid in pesos for drinks. I also used my card for the tickets to the Parisienne.

If I was to use an ATM to get cash, or use the MLC for something priced in pesos, the exchange is $1USD to $110NM. The unofficial exchange is $1USD to $270NM. i got 260 first exhange and 268 the second. I exchange on arrival, the crappy thing is there are no large notes available typically. I get stacks of $100 and $200 National pesos (think $.38 and $.76USD notes) you end up with a large stack to carry around.

Sangnyc21

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 07:32:55 PM »

I do not use an MLC card. I have an offshore debit card that works when cash is not accepted. American debit and credit cards are not accepted.

Hotel National and Hotel Presidente and Havava Libre, take pesos. I have not been to a private or state place yet that does not accept pesos.  I have not been eating in the newest hotels this trip so I can not say if the card is still required. Last trip even in the coffeeshop of the Aston they did not accept pesos, only cards. Buying cigars and drinks in the cigar store in the Melia I have to use a card, the cigar store at 5 y16 i used the card for cigars and paid in pesos for drinks. I also used my card for the tickets to the Parisienne.

If I was to use an ATM to get cash, or use the MLC for something priced in pesos, the exchange is $1USD to $110NM. The unofficial exchange is $1USD to $270NM. i got 260 first exhange and 268 the second. I exchange on arrival, the crappy thing is there are no large notes available typically. I get stacks of $100 and $200 National pesos (think $.38 and $.76USD notes) you end up with a large stack to carry around.

I’m seeing on el toque.com that the street exchange rate for mlc card is 240-1. Do you know where I can get this ?

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal