global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Why is POP so high?!  (Read 4326 times)

Coochie93

Why is POP so high?!
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »
I am going for my first time in June and from Cleveland to POP it's costing 1,000+ WTF?! Is it always this high?

For those who go to STI what taxi or bus service do you use and is it worth the 90 minute drive?

Agvital

Re: Why is POP so high?!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 02:12:45 PM »
I am going for my first time in June and from Cleveland to POP it's costing 1,000+ WTF?! Is it always this high?

For those who go to STI what taxi or bus service do you use and is it worth the 90 minute drive?

My first time coming to the Su i flew to STI because it was cheaper. The ride is definatelty long but you will get some scenic views through the mountains so its not so bad. Just make sure you do the math and make sure those two taxis plus the flight to STI doesnt end up being MORE than a flight to POP. I made that mistake and realized i did all that hassle and only saved like 50 bucks. Also keep in mind those roads are tight so when its time to come back give yourself some extra time in case theres an accident or something.

Stones

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 04:11:34 PM »

I'm one of the old heads around here and I have flown into all of the Dominican airports, including Punta Cana. My advice to you is play around with Google Flights. Select some different dates and airports. Forget Punta Cana. It's too far. One boss move is to buy two one-way flights.

I did a little researching for you. I found a June 14 flight -- one way -- that leaves out of Cleveland at 6:14 a.m. and arrives at POP at 12:24 p.m. That's a prime arrival time. Cost: $324 one way. Coming back a week later I saw a return flight -- one way -- out of Pop back to Cleveland for $314.

Total cost: $638.

Or you can take your return flight out of Santiago and get the total cost down to less than $600 for the entire flight.

Play around with Google Flights to see what works best for you. If you are trying to save money I highly recommend two one-way tickets -- the first directly into POP so you are ready to get the party started the moment you're on the ground -- and the return flight out of Santiago or even Santo Domingo. Again, I have done it in every possible combination, but nothing beats landing directly into POP on that first leg, especially when it is your first visit.

Have fun.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 04:54:00 PM by Stones »

ccontraction

• Devoted Contributer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 04:24:22 PM »
If had to pay 1000.00, the dominican would not see me for a long time...I will never pay that amount...I always catch the train to NJ then to Santiago...It is not worth it unless it saves you minimum of 200.00 or more after everything included.

You have to take the bus for it to save...Cab to the bus 20.00, Metro to sosua 4.00...I spend a couple of days in Santiago so it works for me anyway.

On the way back you either leave the evening before your flight and get a hotel, or early the same day of your flight depending on your flight time...I leave the evening before because I don't want to chance anything and I have something always lined up in Santiago.

If I see a ticket for POP for 738.00 for example and a ticket to Santiago for 438.00, it is a no brainer for me...I have been doing it for a long time...It is not hard to calculate so saving 50.00 was a waste.

The bus ride is 1:45min to 2hrs...Not a long ride at all on the smooth roads...Also no need to say time is wasted on bus rides...You probably have screwed enough.

jd66

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 04:26:22 PM »
Stones is right
Get a little creative with it and you can easily bring that cost down

FYI POP airport is scheduled to  be closed for runway construction May 9-17.   No flights during that time

cknice11

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 04:39:57 PM »
Secret hack. Fly out of new york or Miami and the price drops damn near in half

Stones

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »
Yeah, but the OP lives in Cleveland.

Henny White

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:34 PM »
Fly to NYC or Newark International. Those dates are around 178$ round trip/non-stop. Then off you go for another 400 to POP. Likely 350ish to STI.

Henny White

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 04:52:29 PM »
👆🏽 $325 for POP 6/14-6/21

cknice11

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 05:13:25 PM »
Yeah, but the OP lives in Cleveland.
I live in Detroit and the way I usually do it is to book a cheap ass flight with spirit to New York and then fly out of New York to pop.

MasterRoshi

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 05:35:43 PM »
Stones is right

FYI POP airport is scheduled to  be closed for runway construction May 9-17.   No flights during that time

Wait what? Literally bought my flights last week. I'm supposed to be landing in POP May 11th. Should I contact my airline about this? Weird they wouldn't know about it or have tickets for sale.

crazy_canuck

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
Stones is right

Wait what? Literally bought my flights last week. I'm supposed to be landing in POP May 11th. Should I contact my airline about this? Weird they wouldn't know about it or have tickets for sale.

They will probably just cancel your flight at the last minute and give you a voucher giving you a BS reason for why the flight did not operate ... by the mean time, they have your money and are banking interest on it ... ain't it funny?
Why bother with life?
Nobody has ever come out alive.

Irie mon

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 06:59:07 PM »
POP, I’ve been told by a reliable source (assuming this is true) is a privately owned airport.  I’m guessing this has something to do with the extra taxes tacked onto POP flights.

jd66

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 07:13:57 PM »
Stones is right

Where did you purchase your flight from.
They announced several weeks ago the airport would be closed

I haven't seen anyone offering flights during those dates

Viva La Vega

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 07:39:29 PM »

On the way back you either leave the evening before your flight and get a hotel, or early the same day of your flight depending on your flight time...I leave the evening before because I don't want to chance anything and I have something always lined up in Santiago.

So connections are not working for me since 2021 and i have to overnight in MIA on the way there, and on the way back. Last April/May cant remember i decided instead of staying in Miami, i could take an 8:00am flight out of STI and i could get home same day.

Like you, i don't like to chance anything so stayed at the Garden Hotel by the airport. Told the desk i was flying in the morning, asked for the shuttle at 5:45am, went for dinner, had a mojito, two glasses of wine and by 10:00pm i was engulfed in their amazing bedding.

House phone rang and woke me up just after 6... Fawk. Got downstairs in about 5 minutes flat.

Very nice airport hotel.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal