global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Current Observatios on the Strip/PC  (Read 191297 times)

jd66

Re: Current Observatios on the Strip/PC
« Reply #1980 on: April 27, 2024, 05:30:29 PM »
The Ibitis is charged by every place that you will eat at.  They are required to charge it by law.
Most places break it out and charge it separately but at some places it's included in the price.

Look on the menu's at most places and it will tell you if it is included in the price or added to bill.

Now maybe the rice and beans places are not charging it but if your budget dictates that is where you need to be eating at then by all means go for it.

Not every place charges the 10% extra for service but many do.
As a seasoned traveler I have come to understand that ibitis is just part of the travel budget and so is fairly tipping the staff for their service.

They know who the dudes that are barato.

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #1981 on: April 27, 2024, 07:02:38 PM »
April 24th 2024.   Sosua El Batey

65 yr old black expat found dead sitting in a chair on his balcony.   Cancer and/or heart failure most likely the cause.   Left behind a Haitian girlfriend, and a daughter he had with her.  Was supporting them both with his retirement funds.  He lived alone.  Without him alive, all support will cease for the Haitian lady and the daughter.     Unclear if he had relatives in the states to contact.

Any other info?? Like, his name?? Hotel or residence??
His name was Eric.  Im not mentioning his last name for now.  Lived across from the former Mary Rose hotel on Alejo Martinez.   Lived in Sosua about the same amount of time as myself.    This is an old military photo of Eric.
Well may the poor guy rest in peace,, hopefully enjoyed his life with his hatain Gf and kid,,, This brings up the subject that many haitain women and some Donimican will seek out a gringo for the long term,,, funny im dealing with on such chica now,,, Once that life suport is gone in that case, they probaly will seek an other gringo,,, there not going to turn to there own kind, unless there well establish or well of donimcan family or savy haitains that succeded,,,Buyer beware if you go down this route,,   they will start of slow asking for stuff,,, if you take them out of the game ,your exspected to pay for every thing, even helping out the family, lets say your chica has elderly parents back in haiti,, there under the gun to suport them and your gonna be asked,,,,,you have to weaigh the cost to benefit's, Number one, unlimited toto when you visit, does she cook and clean will she stay loyal or only have afew extra boy friends or WU guys,,,,,,no matter how good the pussy is you gotta draw the line,,,,,be ware they always want more and some will even say i need an other boy friend or husband haha,,,, true story,,,,,you gotta let them stay in there lane,,,,,be safe have fun      !

murano2010

« Reply #1982 on: April 28, 2024, 08:29:00 AM »

What I'm effectively trying to ascertain is a ballpark figure of the costs of products overall, not just in the Su but the DR as a whole, most tourist areas excluded.

I know fuel costs are high, but what about tobacco for instance? I pay $10 for a pack of smokes stateside. Case of brew ~$15-$20. Hotel in Santo was $100/night for a 4 star vs $150+ USD. A decent cut of ribeye from a butcher, maybe $25-$35 and so on...

Point is, if I'm in Manhattan, I expect to pay Manhattan prices. Same goes for Anywhereville, Mississippi.

From yalls experiences and viewpoints, how much do you expect to pay for anything in the DR compared to what you'll pay at home or in your birthplace if you're an expat? Trying to be armed with more negotiating prowess, so 50% of US costs, 75% etc?

I'm talking any local good that comes to mind? i.e. a thread mentioned a mango being quoted at 150 pesos when in reality, it was less than 50. Stealing a quote from The Wire, the details matter.
TBH bionicsound.  You can ascertain what things in the DR will cost by just getting down here and finding out for yourself.   I mean really.   I'll bet you that is how most guys found out what things they were interested in costs.   

Pursuing info while here is the best way to get an accurate account of what YOUR costs might be.   For instance, someone here may give an example of tobacco costs.  You get down here and find a place or someone who can get you a lower price or better quality.   If that were to happen, what could be the conclusion?   

Them guys tried to help online, but they didnt have the best information.  Thats why it may be best to just come down here, see for yourself, and do your own research.   

You made the comment  "if I'm in Manhattan, I expect to pay Manhattan prices."   You said that comment, possibly alluding to the potential that prices in Manhattan are expected to be high or higher, correct?

Well, Sosua/DR and Manhattan both have something in common.   As far as price is concerned, Manhattan prices can vary and are subjective depending on where the expense takes place.   For instance,  a person can go to a Dominican restaurant in Manhattan and get a meal for $15.   But they can also go to a restaurant in Manhattan and pay $80 for a similar meal.   Both places offered Manhattan prices, but both places were not equal in terms of expense.

Sosua/DR is no different.   Sosua/DR prices can vary and is subjective to where one gets their goods or services from.    I got a pedicure the other day from a lady that used to operate on the beach.   She charged me 700 pesos.   But Im reasonably sure, when tourists stop by her shop, she may charge them 1000 or more for a pedicure.

Further down towards Ahnvee there is a salon that may charge me 500 or 600 pesos for a pedicure.   Is the cheaper option worth it?   It's hard to know, unless I try them out.   For the time being, I got it done by someone I knew could do the job, because she had done it before. 

Which also goes to show, in some instances, it's not only where you go, but who you know, or who knows you.   One good thing any vacationer can do.  Is to come down here and be sociable.  Connect with some vets or expats who are already in Sosua.   In person and face to face is one of the best ways to get quality information.     

Other than that, nothing wrong with trial and error.  Thats part of the learning curve that a lot of vets had to go through.  Sometimes guys have to accept that reality.  Not every lesson or piece of info can be sorted out before one gets here.    I know guys that come to Sosua, and they still dont know how to navigate around town.   Dont know the streets or landmarks.   My guys the other day got lost trying to get downtown.    They literally walked around in a circle and ended up back to where they started.   LOL. 

But guess what?   After doing that shit, they learned.  The hard way, but they learned.   Same for one of those guys that met the chicks the other day at Playero.   Both chicks arranged to smash those guys.   The price was supposed to be $60.   

For some strange reason, one of the guys paid the chick 7000 pesos.    He did not know the value of the money he was paying the girl with.   He thought he was paying her what they agreed to.   Found out later, he made a huge mistake.   

He could have asked me or the other two guys before making that mistake.  A lot of mistakes are made, because some cats are just not wise in how they handle themselves.  Dont forsee potential problems.   

The other dude, paid his provider what they agreed to.   The $60, that the other guy negotiated, but ended up over paying.    Thats how it is.  You come to Sosua, and your learning curve for almost everything starts when boots are on the ground.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:42:26 AM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

murano2010

« Reply #1983 on: April 28, 2024, 10:05:07 AM »
Saturday the sky opened up.   Rained hard much of the day.  Sosua streets flooded.  I can only imagine what happened again in the other towns nearby.    At some point the rain stopped, and the flooded water in the streets receded into the sewer system.

Then later it rained hard again.  I sat through it at Tiki Wiki watching the street action.   

Now it's Sunday morning, still raining.   I think the forecast says it will rain more next week.  The area has had several brown outs over night, and more this morning.   My emergency generator kicks in each time.   

Here in Sosua, it pays to buy those backup UPS units for ones crib.  For the internet, and for other things where one does not want interrupted power.   It's definitely best for a complex to have an emergency back up generator.   

Inverter batteries are ok, but in a small unit, they typically dont provide full back up power to certain appliances, like a fridge/freezer or airconditioner.  Inverter back up , is mainly good for powering outlets and lights for a few hours.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 10:24:16 AM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

stinqu

« Reply #1984 on: April 28, 2024, 02:21:04 PM »
Stayed in a place that only had an inverter, never again!!! Over the 2 weeks (2018) had no power for 5 days in total, every Sunday it was like clockwork 9-10 am, nada!!!! I don't think its any better now, maybe worse? I stayed for 4 months over the last 15, same place, the generator was on alot!!!!

murano2010

« Reply #1985 on: April 28, 2024, 04:06:35 PM »
Sunday April 28th, 2024

Lunch at Terra Linda restaurant.   At least I thought it was still called Terra Linda until I looked at the receipt I kept.   On the receipt it says Hotel Costa Tropical.   So maybe thats the new name of the restaurant and the hotel.   Nobody, especially myself paid any attention to the signs outside, nor the name on the menu.

Anyway, 4 of us had lunch here today.  Attached is a copy of the bill, so people can see the 28% taxes that is applied to the bill.   The breakdown is.....18% Itbis taxes was 669 pesos ( or $11.38 usd )    &

The 10% Ley or service charge was 372 pesos ( or 6.38 usd ).   Combined thats 28% taxes ( 17.71 usd ).

The food and drink alone was 3,720 pesos ( or 63.30 )
Add the food/drink and taxes together and the total is 4,761.60 pesos ( or 81.01 usd )

But look at the bottom of the bill.   They tell you what to pay if paying in USD.  $95 if paying in USD.  You have to pay $14 dollars more if one pays with US currency.    This is one of the main reasons I do not like dining out at tourist traps.  1st off, generally speaking......for the Dominican Republic, the food and drink price was inflated. 

And having to pay $14 more just to pay with USD is adding insult to injury.   They clobber you with the f--ked up taxes, part of which is really the gratuity, supposedly for the staff.   And then they shit on you by giving you a horrible exchange rate if you pay in USD.   Then they take your USD, and they exchange it to get more pesos.

The 18% tax and/or the 10% Ley tax is enough to pay for 2 to 5 meals depending on where you go. The guys still put a tip ( about 300 pesoss ) in the sleeve when the server came back with their change.   The total bill was paid in pesos.   

Food :
Two of us had the jerk chicken with rice and sweet plantains.
One had the red snapper
One had the shrimp scampi pasta.

Drinks :
Two Presidentes
One cranberry juice
One apple juice.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 04:45:46 PM by murano2010 »

murano2010

« Reply #1986 on: April 28, 2024, 04:36:22 PM »
In the Philippines, if one can find similar food we consumed in Sosua, the total bill would have been slashed in half. 

Where I live in the Philippines, I was getting seafood platters or grilled salmon meals for  less than 600 pesos, each.  Soft drink beverages like ice tea or lemonade usually come in big glasses.   In some places, refills of sweet tea is complimentary.   Usually you dont see any major additions to a dining bill.   10% in some cases.  Tipping percentage is optional.   Not like in the states where 15% tip is the minimal that is given or expected.

stinqu

« Reply #1987 on: April 28, 2024, 05:18:59 PM »
What you don't say, is almost 5000p. was a good price for the meals ? It was lunch after all!

Viva La Vega

« Reply #1988 on: April 28, 2024, 07:14:01 PM »
A couple of days ago someone was talking about choosing USD on the credit card vs pesos... Case in point right here. When using a card always choose the local currency and let your bank do the exchange.

bingoman

« Reply #1989 on: April 30, 2024, 05:15:04 PM »
I got only 57.6 per USD today, the cambio guy said he expected it to go further down this week.

There was a slim-thick fair girl working the strip from the corner to Matteos today.
Found another near Margots but she was already taken.

Saw the Giamo guy near the moneygram shop, talking to an American in a car and they were talking about his youtube videos, didnt bother talking. May be will ask him what he is upto if I see him again.

Havent stopped at Baileys so far, seemed crowded this afternoon

murano2010

« Reply #1990 on: April 30, 2024, 05:55:23 PM »
I got only 57.6 per USD today, the cambio guy said he expected it to go further down this week.

There was a slim-thick fair girl working the strip from the corner to Matteos today.
Found another near Margots but she was already taken.

Saw the Giamo guy near the moneygram shop, talking to an American in a car and they were talking about his youtube videos, didnt bother talking. May be will ask him what he is upto if I see him again.

Havent stopped at Baileys so far, seemed crowded this afternoon
Caribe Express was offering 57.75 as of 12pm in the afternoon.  It's possible that who ever you went to was offering the tourist upsell.   Where Caribe Express and possibly Mapello ( the mobile exchange genteleman ) were still offering 57.75.   

It is true, that within a weeks time the exchange rate has been slipping.    When I got back around the 16th of April, Caribe Express was offering 58.10.     Then it started slipping each day I passed by.     About 5 days ago Caribe Express was offering 57.80.   

If one were exchanging hundreds or thousands of US dollars,  those small changes in the rate can make a difference.  Like paying for gas in ones pasola, or paying for a drink or food.    The 1st day in Sosua my friends went to Playero,  they only got 57 to 1.   A few minutes earlier one of the other guys got 57.80 from Mapello.   

murano2010

« Reply #1991 on: April 30, 2024, 05:58:08 PM »

BTW what cambio guy did you go to?   What ever you do, do not go to the cambio guy directly across from Kings on Pedro Clisante.   You may get the wrong amount and/or some fake bills.   And if you turn your back to walk away and suddenly discover he gave you the wrong amount, he's gonna deny it.   

bingoman

« Reply #1992 on: April 30, 2024, 09:02:52 PM »

BTW what cambio guy did you go to?   What ever you do, do not go to the cambio guy directly across from Kings on Pedro Clisante.   You may get the wrong amount and/or some fake bills.   And if you turn your back to walk away and suddenly discover he gave you the wrong amount, he's gonna deny it.   

I went to cambio in Plaza Colonial, which is open only 9-5. Quite upfront, gives a printed slip as well. People have warned about the one across Kings.

murano2010

« Reply #1993 on: May 01, 2024, 10:50:29 AM »

I went to cambio in Plaza Colonial, which is open only 9-5. Quite upfront, gives a printed slip as well. People have warned about the one across Kings.
FYI, that guy at Plaza Colonial is one of the safest exchange places, but sometimes his rate may be slightly lower than Caribe Express or Mapello, the Mobile exchange guy.   I also believe he sizes up individuals that seem new to him and alone.  Especially if they are not there exchanging with other guys.   

I took one of my friends to Plaza Colonial and the rate was 57.60.  At the time Caribe Express was offering 57.80    There could be a reason for that.   The dude was only exchanging $100.    I think the more one exchanges the better the rate may be offered.    I noticed that has been the case with Mapello.   He asks how much a person is exchanging, and he will assign the rate based on how much one is exchanging.   

Exchanging lets say $500 and up, one may get a better rate.  That may apply to several places/cambios.   But if somebody is only exchanging $100, one might get the base exchange rate.    I do not think Caribe Express varies their exchange rate depending on how much one is exchanging, but I could be mistaken. 

stinqu

« Reply #1994 on: May 01, 2024, 08:42:29 PM »
I think you might be right on better rate for lager amounts. I use Plaza Colonial all the time, the rate always seem to be higher for $300 or more. Just thought the daily had changed, or both. I will keep that in mind, thanks.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal