global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Thinking about purchasing a condo in the Dominican Republic. Good or bad idea?  (Read 14164 times)

Bricks973

If you want to live there, sure. Don't expect any capital appreciation, don't expect a lot of rental revenue, don't expect to sell quickly if you need to, do expect some pretty high monthly fees. I am not worrying about renting it out. I don't need to rent it out. not worried about the cost either, I just want a spot for myself that I own

If you are two or three months a year, $1500 a month can rent you a pretty special ocean view place and you can go anywhere the next season if you feel for it.

That said, Puerto Plata province, pretty low cost of entry, proximity to the airport, medical services,  low incidence of extreme weather, low cost of living, ex pat community...  It's not so bad.

Buy the best you can afford, ocean front or ocean view.

Bricks973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yU2NNb12Y4

My Warning To Expatriates.

Sobering account. Guy bought land, properties, houses & condos in Belize.

Lost everything.  Escaped with shirt on his back.  Illegally entering into Guatamala. Got caught. Lawyered up and made it back to USA.

Didn't donate to a politician's re-election campaign. Asked for $2 Mil.! 

Host tried it out in Philippines but they both ended up back in USA after buying in Belize & Philippines!
That video represents fear and Paranoia. As a black man I think I will be fine. BTW. I lived there for a year in 2014

Samar69

• Long Beach, CA

Lost everything.  Escaped with shirt on his back.  Illegally entering into Guatamala. Got caught. Lawyered up and made it back to USA.

Host tried it out in Philippines but they both ended up back in USA after buying in Belize & Philippines!
That video represents fear and Paranoia. As a black man I think I will be fine. BTW. I lived there for a year in 2014

But did you buy land & property there?  (Which could have been taken away from you).

In this case a politician expected to be bribed by the rich gringo.

It just seems like old people who retire overseas are by definition easy targets.

Poor natives living nearby- why wouldn't they steal, rob or kidnap?  Or murder. 

Aren't old people easy targets for criminals?

So then they go retire in a country of 3rd world criminals?!

I've read about it in Philippines, Thailand, Costa Rica, etc.

Hungry people won't rob the gringo?  Seems naive.
Like to play golf.  Practicing immigration law.  Investing in crypto.  Looking forward to football & hockey.

sarahate

• Devoted Contributer
There was a lot more to that "gringo" story. The guy speaking was filthy rich. Just Google John Mcafee.   He failed to mention how he consumed copious amounts of Bath salts and his neighbor was found dead is his house.  Hes the guy who invented Mcafee antivirus computer software.

Don Pablo

Samar,

The day you visit the Dominican Republic for the first time will be the day that you can comment intelligently. You live in fear and are completely clueless.

Bricks973

But did you buy land & property there?  (Which could have been taken away from you).

In this case a politician expected to be bribed by the rich gringo.

It just seems like old people who retire overseas are by definition easy targets.

Poor natives living nearby- why wouldn't they steal, rob or kidnap?  Or murder. 

Aren't old people easy targets for criminals?

So then they go retire in a country of 3rd world criminals?!

I've read about it in Philippines, Thailand, Costa Rica, etc.

Hungry people won't rob the gringo?  Seems naive.
not yet but I am. I just received a large amount of money which now gives me some leg room to finally male that purchase. Again you can't go into a situation thinking about getting robbed or even murdered. Im from Newark, NJ and people get robbed all day and I do not walk around with fear. Most of the people who get robbed in these foreign countries are usually the caucasion.

Bricks973

Samar,

The day you visit the Dominican Republic for the first time will be the day that you can comment intelligently. You live in fear and are completely clueless.
same thing I'm thinking you can't walk around living in fear

Samar69

• Long Beach, CA
Samar,

same thing I'm thinking you can't walk around living in fear

You can walk anywhere, Bro.

Are you buying land in a third world country to retire?

A great place to get old and feeble...  In a 3rd world country full of desperate people, cons & crooks.

Not.

So many examples in Costa Rica, Equador, Belize, Philppines, etc.

Not saying strapping young mongers don't go there. Or even old timers.

But the fantasy of old people retiring in these places often doesn't end too well. They are weak and old.

Why wouldn't they be targeted for robbery, kidnapping, murder?

So many examples but of course, it's not quite something tourist boards want to promote. If the victims aren't famous, the news tends to get buried.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:53:11 AM by Samar69 »
Like to play golf.  Practicing immigration law.  Investing in crypto.  Looking forward to football & hockey.

Samar69

• Long Beach, CA
Samar,

You have been useful, indeed.

I was curious about Sosua but was worried that it was over-rated.

Reading here didn't make it sound too great.

Then we learn it has gone downhill even further and is deteriorating rapidly.

It has proved to be valuable information.  Saved me some $ better spent elsewhere.

Thank you. ????

Samar69

• Long Beach, CA
Dear foreign property buyer who is retiring in a 3rd world country;

Great idea!  You will fit right into the new culture and all the locals will just love you!  You will soon grow fond of the corruption, bribery, incompetence & ineptitude.   

Poor & starving people won't resent your wealth or try to take advantage of you as you age away in your golden years. You can trust all the people who work for you.

They won't rob you or steal.  Kidnapping & murder will never cross their minds. ????

They will just Love you down there! ????

(Really?!) (That's how you want to hear it, right?

Samar69

• Long Beach, CA
Go ahead and

BUY NOW!!

What could go wrong? 

Strike while the iron is hot!

Don't WASTE $ renting first!

BUY!  BUY!  BUY! 

????

bachatero

• Devoted Contributer
@bachatero , you seem to know the country pretty good, i'm retiring with a nice pension in 6 or 8 years, where would you buy?
I know that Samana is popular with gringo expats.  I stayed in  Juan Dolio , east of the capital and iv'e been to La Romana , had dental surgery in Santiago , i speak fluent spanish so i've been thinking hard about retiring in the DR , Mexico , maybe Colombia.

@sweeper  It all depends on what you want from your property.  I like Juan Dolio best because it is only 30-40 minutes to Santo Domingo and about 20 minutes to SDQ airport.  You are also only about 1 hour and 15 minutes to La Romana.  There are also plenty of decent golf courses to play near Juan Dolio or you could drive over to La Romana and play some of the best courses in the Caribbean (Casa de Campo).

I also like Punta Cana because they have some of the best beaches.  The only thing I don't like about Punta Cana is they don't have as many nice restaurants nor the variety as Santo Domingo.  Nor do they have as many clubs, concerts, and malls as Santo Domingo.  Everything also seems to be more expensive in Punta Cana.  You need to drive to Higuey to get better prices on food, etc.  Punta Cana is a great place to lay back and retire though and it is easy to get in and out of Punta Cana.   

Puerto Plata or Samana would be last on my list.  Prices into POP are typically more expensive and you would have a long drive to Saman from POP.  There is even fewer things to do in Puerto Plana or Samana than and area such as Punta Cana.
Live free or die!

Bricks973

Dear foreign property buyer who is retiring in a 3rd world country;

Great idea!  You will fit right into the new culture and all the locals will just love you!  You will soon grow fond of the corruption, bribery, incompetence & ineptitude.   

Poor & starving people won't resent your wealth or try to take advantage of you as you age away in your golden years. You can trust all the people who work for you.

They won't rob you or steal.  Kidnapping & murder will never cross their minds. ????

They will just Love you down there! ????

(Really?!) (That's how you want to hear it, right?
same shit happens here in the USA my brother especially when you live in poor neighborhoods. My uncle retired in dr 10 years ago in Dr and they are doing fine. Stop living in fear

PITY2K6

@Brick973 - You stated facts, "you can't live in fear" People like that dude live in so much fear...They are the ones that sit and watch CNN all damn day and night just to see the bad in the world. They are the type of people that would get punched square in the face just looking at someone sideways...LOL

Bricks973

@Brick973 - You stated facts, "you can't live in fear" People like that dude live in so much fear...They are the ones that sit and watch CNN all damn day and night just to see the bad in the world. They are the type of people that would get punched square in the face just looking at someone sideways...LOL
lol, for real though anyone can be a target, but that doesn't mean you will get targeted. He has to think positive about the situation. He might as well stay inside the house all day being scared.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal