global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: STI Airport to Sosua  (Read 4969 times)

KiteSurf101

Re: STI Airport to Sosua
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 11:13:48 PM »
A few follow up items:

The flight to FLL on Friday allowed me to get a full day of work in the office, and then went off to the airport. I spent a total of 8 days in the country, well worth it if you can cut your air expense to under $400 (flying from the Midwest). Only had a couple hours to kill at the FLL airport. I could have taken a American Airlines 5:00am departure on Saturday morning directly to POP; arriving around 3:30pm with a layover in Miami (for over double the cost). This would require waking up at 2:00am, calling an Uber to the airport, and likely being just as tired as the Friday spirit flight.

Also of note - if you try to take a Uber directly from Santiago to Sosua, it is available; the rate will likely show between 2,000 - 2,500 pesos. However, no Uber driver will ever take this rate (it would likely be a net loss of money as there would be no hope of getting anything in the return direction); instead they will cancel the ride and negotiate a separate rate that is very comparable to a taxi. Easier to just take a ride to the bus station.

I ended up sleeping for most of the 2 hour bus trip to Sosua, had a breakfast (at Matteos); had a couple drinks afterwards there, stocked up and checked into my hotel. Didn't really get tired although I did call in a regular from Puerto Plata to chill for the night in my hotel (Las Palmas) that Saturday.

As for mongering in Santiago, yes there is a lot of talent in Santiago, but in a curfew environment if you wanted to stay in Santiago you would be better off renting out a hotel, getting a few hours of sleep, and then giving it a go on Saturday. Previously I have stayed around the monument area, again this was pre-covid where you could get an Uber anytime for very cheap. Also, unlike Sosua or the colonial zone in Santo Domingo, if you do not speak some Spanish you may have difficulty navigating in Santiago.

My return flight was out of SDQ, the early morning express routes directly to SDQ (avoids Santiago) are great. The talent level in Santo Domingo blows Sosua out of the water, but it is a completely different game where tinder/badoo/whatever else are needed. There are also a lot of things to do in Santo Domingo, especially if you hadn't ever been there (historical sites in the colonial zone, botanical gardens, 3 eyes park, the zoo, live music); all depending on your interests. My preference is actually TLN, with the day open for other items; I was never much into sporting mongering throughout the day.

As to will I do it again, absolutely; assuming you are spending an entire week or more. I plan on doing this flight, or something very similar, this February. Depending on covid restrictions I plan on staying Saturday night in either Santiago or La Vega, going to the carnival in La Vega on Sunday, and on Monday jumping up to Sosua.

No right or wrong way on how to proceed with flights/activities, as some would have no problem just paying more to avoid the added travel hassle. One thing that does help is to travel light, all I use is a carry on bag that I can throw over my shoulder.

Also, completely enjoyed catching a game at Flip-flop's bar. I was the Chelsea guy BSing with the United fan during the Manchester United cup game.

Henny White

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
Any one ever use this company?

https://dsrrbusrental.com/producto/private-transfer

I was quoted $149 USD from STI to the Su, and the Su to STI. Round trip. It was $76 one way. Which is the cheapest I've seen it.

Agvital

Sosua to STI. How to i get a ticket for the bus?!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »
Hey im trying to get back from Sosua to STI. Ive been Metro and Caribe website and gotten general info but i cant figure out where the hell Metro picks up at? Do i need to buy a ticket before hand? Help me out here fellas. Whose done it and can give me some tips

jd66

Re: Sosua to STI. How to i get a ticket for the bus?!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 11:17:59 PM »
Hey im trying to get back from Sosua to STI. Ive been Metro and Caribe website and gotten general info but i cant figure out where the hell Metro picks up at? Do i need to buy a ticket before hand? Help me out here fellas. Whose done it and can give me some tips

The metro bus station is next to the Texaco gas station by the highway. 
Go to where Kings is at on the PC and walk 1 block up David Stern and the office will be right there on your right.

The Caribe bus station is in Charamicos.
It is at the bottom of the hill of the 2nd road as you come into Charamicos but I think you actually have to take the 1st road and turn left 1 block and it will be on your right when you get to the 2nd road.  Some of them are 1 way streets

I believe Metro only has a couple daily routes so a ticket in advance might be a good idea depending on when you want to leave
Caribe has several busses daily but again they do fill up so if you want to make sure you get on a certain bus and advance ticket might be better.

2Up

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2022, 04:56:15 AM »
If you can go to Metro or Caribe the day before you leave.  The schedule should be posted (take a picture).  Ask questions /see if you can get an advanced ticket.  Below is the locations on google maps.

Metro

https://goo.gl/maps/mRKW2QjMxLaJK7fj7

Caribe Tours

https://goo.gl/maps/hVjKUxASd4xVCFJC8
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:41:12 AM by 2Up »

ToToMarauder

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 09:35:00 PM »
spirit is the worst airline ever. Ghettoest airline in the world.
binary thinking at its best

zava3545@gmail.com

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2023, 07:56:17 AM »
Is it okay to rent a car from STI? Seems like a 90 min drive to Sousa.

uth

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 11:40:19 AM »

No, get a taxi. Driving is not for newbies.

bangoskank

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 11:41:16 AM »

Take the bus. Much cheaper than taxi.

zava3545@gmail.com

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2023, 11:37:25 PM »

Appreciate the feedback, but I’m still leaning to renting a car since I get in around 2 am. Not sure there will be buses available at that time. I have driven in South America and know how different it is. I’m just curious why everyone is so against it. Any tips for driving are appreciated.

Travelguy90

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2023, 02:05:45 AM »

Appreciate the feedback, but I’m still leaning to renting a car since I get in around 2 am. Not sure there will be buses available at that time. I have driven in South America and know how different it is. I’m just curious why everyone is so against it. Any tips for driving are appreciated.
https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/driving-danger-dominican-republic

Driving is dangerous. Most can’t drive, their vehicles suck, likely aren’t insured, many speed and don’t follow their own laws, frequent crashes, tourist always at fault, police at times try to extort people for money, etc…
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

bangoskank

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2023, 04:34:15 AM »

Viva La Vega

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 06:20:34 AM »

If the only reason you want or need a car is the trip to the airport I would not bother. Walk out the door of the airport, taxies will be there, $100 and less than two hours you will be in your hotel. Rent a car for a day or so in Sosua if you want to explore the North Coast. At 2:00am getting a car... Tank could be empty for a start, your garmin will get you to Sosua, i would not go without one, mountain road I have missed the turn before and the road through Puerto Plata is not a slam dunk to find without a GPS either.

Everyone drives the way we rode our bikes at 13. Fearless and with zero regard for rules. It makes for some exiting times.

Henny White

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 05:59:55 PM »
I'm a New Yorker & we drive extremely reckless. Still, No match for DR lol 🤷🏽‍♂️ I rarely drive myself out there.

Tex1988

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 09:49:48 PM »

The actual driving is not the problem. It's the whole EVERYTHING IS THE GRINGO'S FAULT REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS element of it all.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal