global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: I know Spirit Airlines is bad, but STI flights are dirt cheap!  (Read 2578 times)

RealNicca

I know better than to fly Spirit, but the prices are enticing. I can book 2-3 trips for the cost to fly United or Jet Blue or AA. I travel Light with a book bag for carry-on, but the “self-transfer” between flights is gonna be a hassle and having to go thru TSA again. It is tempting. Maybe not both ways but at least one way. And they are mostly red eye flights. Input? Comments? Advice? Flights from my city are at least $500 and to Puerto Plata almost $1000 and that is losing a day because of layover.

PoonTangClan

Re: I know Spirit Airlines is bad, but STI flights are dirt cheap!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »
I know better than to fly Spirit, but the prices are enticing. I can book 2-3 trips for the cost to fly United or Jet Blue or AA. I travel Light with a book bag for carry-on, but the “self-transfer” between flights is gonna be a hassle and having to go thru TSA again. It is tempting. Maybe not both ways but at least one way. And they are mostly red eye flights. Input? Comments? Advice? Flights from my city are at least $500 and to Puerto Plata almost $1000 and that is losing a day because of layover.

Don’t f--k with Spirit, bro. You’ll regret it, lol. It’s not even worth it. The arrivals are late, you’re losing a day, and with Spirit, there’s no telling if they’ll cancel your flight the same day you show up to fly. It’s a shitty airline.

RealNicca

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 08:03:01 AM »
Thank you! Yea I’ve heard they cancel flights and leave you stranded. Thank you for the heads up

cknice11

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »
It's hit or miss with spirit to be real. I always joke and say I'd rather walk then fly spirit but honestly sometimes there the best option. I wouldn't spend 800 or 900 to fly in puerta Plata when I can get a round trip to Santo Domingo for 170 bucks and take a bus to sosua. It all depends on the traveling and the amount of time your staying. I've had some good experiences with them and some god awful ones

RealNicca

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 10:51:55 AM »
Haha I dunno about any airline being compared to filet mignon but I understand your analogy. And point taken.

Travelguy90

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
Thank you! Yea I’ve heard they cancel flights and leave you stranded. Thank you for the heads up
If you have a direct flight you should be fine. I fly spirit and they never canceled on me, but I fly directly from FLL to my destination. The bag fee is the main headache if you want to pack a lot but I can get up to a weeks worth of clothes in a personal item if I take my time folding everything
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

Stones

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »
Better to fly into Santo Domingo than to f--k around with Spirit. My advice, if you are in Florida, is to fly one-way into POP. Get there in the afternoon, not tired at all, and ready to get on with your vacation. Coming back, do whatever you need to do to save some cash. On the way home, take that crazy late-night Spirit out of STI, or take the bus to grab a better/cheaper flight out of Santo Domingo.

In other words, pay what it costs for a nice outbound flight. Don't compromise your vacation to save a couple hundred dollars. If necessary, stay five days instead of seven days so you can afford a quality outbound flight, even if means coming home a day or two early than you had planned.

If you decide should stay only five days instead of seven, just f--k faster. You'll get the same amount of pussy.

To recap: Life is short. Time is money. On your originating flight get into POP on the best possible flight. Pay what it costs. On the way back home, do whatever you want.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 02:31:38 PM by Stones »

Texast

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »
Spirit is awesome for short trips, direct flight and with no bags. Just bring your noise cancelling headphones.

RealNicca

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
I’m coming from the Midwest. So there is no direct flight. I either fly United to Newark or AA to Miami

IP-JD

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 04:29:00 PM »
Most people have a bad impression of Spirit because they buy the ticket not knowing what to expect. Pay for your seat, pay for your bag, bring water on the plane, expect meh customer experience and you're good. I particularly like that 2:59AM flight from STI to FLL, because its short, and get me back in the states early enough to get that first flight out of MIA or FLL to the West Coast. Out of at least 15 flights on Spirit (over the last 4 years), I have never had a significant delay. That was until 2 days ago. When there is a delay, you are SCREWED. just last (6/21) Monday, they had a delay out of SDQ. wnet from 2:59 to 4AM-5AM-3PM! They offered a room, $24 voucher, and $100 credit. No negotiation, take it or leave it. The fleet is small, so if mechanical problems, weather, failed inspections, it is tough to get a replacement aircraft. For my situation, I couldn't afford to stay another day, I had meetings to get to so that 100 dollar ticket turned into 500 when I had to buy another ticket to route through DC on United. Monday definitely sucked, but it isn't something that happens all the time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:33:10 PM by IP-JD »

RealNicca

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:12:09 PM »
Thank you for the transparency in your response. That’s what I don’t want to happen.

jd66

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 03:04:40 AM »
Fly Spirit long enough and you are guaranteed to get a big time screw job and a very bad experience at some point.   They are not worth the trouble.

If you have lot's of time, unlimited patience and don't mine being nickle and dimed to death than go for it but often more most, once you are done with them those perceived cheap flights don't end up being all that great of a deal.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 03:21:56 AM by jd66 »

IP-JD

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 10:58:50 AM »
Pretty Concise article on US Airline rankings.
https://cheapfirstclass.com/the-best-and-worst-us-airlines/

To save you some reading, outside of the safety score (namely comprised of planes age, service records) American Airlines and Spirit are ranked pretty similarly at the bottom. In addition, if you fly enough, you experience delays, and screw-up on all airlines. I've covered more than a million miles in the sky, and the only airlines to have lost my luggage were Alaska, Southwest, Delta 3x, and AA 2x. I've been delayed by more than 4+ hours at some time or another on of those except Alaska. Everyone likes to clown the "Greyhound of the Sky" aka "Soulplane," but in context, it isnt terrible and depending on overall savings and convenience. I'd do it.

ToToMarauder

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »
you get what you pay for. id rather pay the difference and fly regular than go through hoops and bad customer service to name a few. Ghetto fab airline. then again, if in a a pinch roll the dice
binary thinking at its best

sosuaonmymind1987

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
Most people have a bad impression of Spirit because they buy the ticket not knowing what to expect. Pay for your seat, pay for your bag, bring water on the plane, expect meh customer experience and you're good. I particularly like that 2:59AM flight from STI to FLL, because its short, and get me back in the states early enough to get that first flight out of MIA or FLL to the West Coast. Out of at least 15 flights on Spirit (over the last 4 years), I have never had a significant delay. That was until 2 days ago. When there is a delay, you are SCREWED. just last (6/21) Monday, they had a delay out of SDQ. wnet from 2:59 to 4AM-5AM-3PM! They offered a room, $24 voucher, and $100 credit. No negotiation, take it or leave it. The fleet is small, so if mechanical problems, weather, failed inspections, it is tough to get a replacement aircraft. For my situation, I couldn't afford to stay another day, I had meetings to get to so that 100 dollar ticket turned into 500 when I had to buy another ticket to route through DC on United. Monday definitely sucked, but it isn't something that happens all the time.
[/quote

I’ve been flying spirit for 14 years almost exclusively and that was my first major bad experience with them. The next day AA served me a much worse deal with multiple delays as well.
Shit happens

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal