global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Current Overstay Fee Chart for the DR  (Read 1920 times)

Viva La Vega

Re: Current Overstay Fee Chart for the DR
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2024, 09:56:50 AM »
I don't doubt that it is a change that is on the way. It takes time, effort and security to manage cash. Plus the cash would need to be picked up by a security company.

It was not that long ago that airlines stopped accepting cash for baggage. I remember being caught out on that once somewhere... YYZ I think, had to go buy a card from the Hudson News.

They are probably even working on a system that the fee can be paid online with the e-ticket.

murano2010

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2024, 01:05:21 PM »
Apparently POP airport is no longer taking cash for overstay fees. Now you must pay by card.
I can appreciate efforts to try to offer the members an update.  But you really shouldnt have typed that message like that.  When you know for sure, they are no longer taking cash, and know for sure that one must pay by card.....thats when you break out with that information.   

You seeing a sign saying one could pay by card, does not translate to mean people must pay by card.  At least not at the time you were there.   As far as I know, immigration accepted CC/DC for a number of years.  And the sign you saw was probably an FYI message for people who did not know they could use a card, instead of cash. 

Precurser or not.  It was not applicable at the time you saw the sign, that now one  must pay by card.   

A better message would have been to just claim that you think that there may be a change in policy in how overstay fees are collected down the road.  And just leave it like that.  Nobody would bat an eye.  We would just wait and see, or attempt to seek information elsewhere to corroborate that possibility. 

When you supplied the link AFTER someone questioned your message, your message begins to break down.  Now the reader has to make up their own mind on whether that interaction among DR1 members really has legs.

Did you read my second post? I've already did my mea culpa on the first post. That was 12 hours ago. Now you want to lodge a complaint. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Yeah, I read your 1st and the one following.  But you are a mature man.  Almost 70, right?  As we get older, were supposed to be getting wiser.  Not the other way around.  It's almost embarrassing to see a mature man, make such statements.

Nobody should have had to call you out or question you, over making a definitive statement that you dont have any proof of.  You could have stopped yourself from making that initial post.   But you let it flow anyway.

This is called constructive criticism from a peer.  Show me where I am wrong?

And BTW dont sweat when I respond.  Im not on your time zone.  If you are in the US or the DR, Im 7 to 10hrs ahead of you.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:12:42 PM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

murano2010

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2024, 01:17:08 PM »
I don't doubt that it is a change that is on the way. It takes time, effort and security to manage cash. Plus the cash would need to be picked up by a security company.

It was not that long ago that airlines stopped accepting cash for baggage. I remember being caught out on that once somewhere... YYZ I think, had to go buy a card from the Hudson News.

They are probably even working on a system that the fee can be paid online with the e-ticket.
Sounds logical.  Perhaps there may be changes down the road.  I just dont ascribe to the idea of making definitive claims, when the information in question has not been proven, nor has the person making the claim, seen the policy enforced.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:24:15 PM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

bangoskank

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2024, 01:59:47 PM »
Let me just throw some fuel on the fire here. Found this in the Expat Facebook group.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2024, 03:00:43 PM »
Let me just throw some fuel on the fire here. Found this in the Expat Facebook group.

Quite a few years ago you had to pay an exit fee to leave Cuba, $20-$25CUC, cash, can't remember the exact amount.

I am on the plane, a friend who takes that route a lot was sitting across from me. A very young girl from the States gets on board, a little disheveled, thanking my friend profusely and asking for his contact info, which he graciously did not provide.

Turns out buddy had already checked in (paid his fee) passed through immigration and security and was sitting at the gate when the airline agent who knew him well approached him and told him there was a US student outside who had no money left and asked if he would come out and pay the fee for the girl. Not a problem. Turns out he had done it on more than that one occasion.

If wheelchair man actually missed his flight (maybe he was on a different one to the OP who did not see him board) it shows that there is a bit of a lack of customer service at POP. As someone in that thread stated, they would have put it on their card if the guy had cash, but nobody spoke up!

It will be a good money maker for the exchange booths to sell the single debit cards also.

Last year (two years ago?) i was in a cigar shop in Cuba and they did not take cash. An old fella there had sent someone to buy him an MLC but he was getting impatient, would i put his purchase on my debit card. $1425USD, he gave me 1500EURO so i made about $150 on the deal!

murano2010

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2024, 08:09:20 PM »
That example would be a great tool for a class comprised of law students.  I'd call it a smoldering fire.  Maybe there's more information missing, you could share?

Teaching them how to dissect a piece of evidence that is hearsay and circumstantial. 

1. No dates of when the conversation took place. 
2. There's no information on how much the exit fee was.
3. No information on how much cash or the currency the man had on him.
4. The observer may have got some details wrong.
5. No information on the temperament between the man and the immigration officer , which could have led to him being singled out.                 
6. There may have been a discrepancy on the amount imposed because he would be paying cash in a different currency?

Overall, that piece of evidence does not definitively tell us that everyone must pay their exit fee with a card.    I'm willing to accept that there is a strong possibility that one may be encouraged to use a card.  But I am not convinced that one must use a card, and that under no cirumstances is cash allowed to be used as a substitute. 

Ive heard of people trying to pay with currency other than pesos, and they ended up being charged more.   Some folks I can see objecting to that, and raising a stink.   Getting into any dispute could cause a passenger to get sidelined.  Ya never know 100% from someone else's observation or POV what transpired that they may have missed or werent privy to.     

bangoskank

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2024, 08:59:33 PM »
It was just a discussion in the Facebook group on how they are accepting cards only. I’m not going to post the entire discussion. You can join and see it for your self. The name of the group is Dominican Republic expats.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 09:06:31 PM by bangoskank »

murano2010

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2024, 12:56:44 AM »
I didnt care to join, but I like that excerpt of the discussion that was posted. 

In time, there will be more follow up reports on how this situation will play out.   I believe the policy was implemented for staff convenience, cost savings and for security. 

In the DR, they are known to make knee jerk decisions, oft times without considering the consequences or problems that may arise from those decisions.  Then they have to figure out solutions. 

So anything can happen in the weeks and months to come.  They may very well, have to make exceptions in those instances when a card is not allowing a payment, or the person does not have a card handy.    Or maybe they might be able to issue a payment voucher/card right there in the airport.  Who knows? 

As f--ked up as the DR can be, I cant see them continuing to disallow passengers to use cash payments under special circumstances, if a card just wont work.  People missing flights due to the inefficiency of immigration officials is serious business.  Initially, yes, the DR will implement some strict policy, and stick to it like their life depends on it.  So we'll see.  The policy is still early yet.

Whatever policy is in place when I am leaving, Im sure I will be able to manage it then.   

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 01:04:30 AM by murano2010 »

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2024, 06:33:03 AM »
Well the good thing less shake downs  if your paying by card,, still looking to see if you have to pay the 18 % vat tax on top of the overstay fee murano  any one ?

jd66

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2024, 10:56:49 AM »
Well the good thing less shake downs  if your paying by card,, still looking to see if you have to pay the 18 % vat tax on top of the overstay fee murano  any one ?

The overstay fees are a fine or penalty for staying to long.

The ITBIS is a value-added tax (VAT) applied to the sale of industrialized goods (movable) and services.
Not sure how you would relate a fine to being subject to the VAT.

Heck if the PUTAs where smart they would try to collect the ITBIS.   ;D   They are providing a service  ;)   Dudes would be dumb enough to pay it. 

crazy_canuck

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2024, 11:10:35 AM »
Heck if the PUTAs where smart they would try to collect the ITBIS.   ;D   They are providing a service  ;)   Dudes would be dumb enough to pay it.

You know there are probably some putas reading the forum and/or dummies who are showing the forum to some of their favorite putas ... don't give them any ideas  ::)
Why bother with life?
Nobody has ever come out alive.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal