global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa  (Read 1720 times)

mr212

Driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa
« on: January 04, 2023, 08:37:43 AM »
Hey guys thinking about driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa myself with a car rental.

Has anyone made that drive? Is it safe? Did you save money?

Viva La Vega

Re: Driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »
It's safe, i do it often. Better to drive during the day. Get a decent car where all the lights work and hopefully the front window is not so tinted you cant see out.

Not very special going through the city, so if coming from Las Americas, the route to Nagua is the best.

Newyorkny

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 03:04:17 PM »
I did it once and wouldn't recommend it, it's farther than you think and half way through I wish I woulda took the bus to sleep and enjoy the scenery

El_lobo00

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »
Three weeks ago on my Caribe Tours bus to santo Domingo from santiago, I saw two horrible wrecks on the Duarte highway near Bonao, including the one below:

https://dominicantoday.com/amp/news?id=171952&title=those-involved-in-the-duarte-highway-accident-point-to-the-lack-of-signage-as-the-cause

The wrecks looked like a scene from one of the final destination movies smh. Safe is not a word I would ever use to describe driving anywhere in the DR. Every time I’ve visited the country, I see at least one nasty or fatal wreck. There’s very little regard for rules or life itself out there on the roads. Additionally, as a gringo if you get into an accident you’ll likely be at fault no matter what actually happened responsibility wise.

Save yourself the headache, take the bus/taxi or hire a driver.

Travelguy90

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 04:22:16 PM »
Hey guys thinking about driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa myself with a car rental.

Theres no way you’d save money unless you were taking cabs/Ubers/shuttles. The bus is 450-550 peso from SD. Heck they have GuaGuas that leave SD for Sosua if the Caribetour is ever full though I wouldn’t want to ride in one that long. I did it before but to LT from POP

Renting a car you’re looking at what 50-70$ a day with a 3 day rental minimum? I considered renting but it was more expensive than needed when I barely needed the car except for a few out of town places
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 04:27:57 PM by Travelguy90 »
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

TheRealDallas

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »
Don’t do it ….
It’s not worth your troubles

Captainsaveahoe

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 07:25:14 PM »
It’s a straight drive.  I was surprised how fast I made it too…I think I made it to Puerto Plata in like 3 hours.  If you have concerns just wake up early and leave at dawn.  Once you leave Downtown Santo Domingo the roads are mostly empty.

If you are scared though, I am also a big fan of the bud too.  I like metro because it drops me off downtown Sosua.  The station in Santo Domingo recently moved to Winston Churchill so make sure not to go to the other location.

PoonTangClan

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 08:33:20 PM »
Open Question:

So, if you fly into Santo Domingo and rent a car, are you able to drop off the car at a different location if you decide to drive to Puerto Plata and fly out of POP?

If I would ever rent a car and drive out of Santo Domingo, the last thing I would ever want to do is a round trip drive. 

Even some rental car companies in the U.S. get funny with you when you want to rent a car at one location and drop it off in another city or state, so I would imagine that it might be a huge headache (and a risk) in a place like DR.

Drop a car off in a different location, and the next thing you know, they’re accusing you of stealing the car in DR, or they’ll rent the car you dropped off to someone else who damages the car, and hit you with a damage bill, lol.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:37:02 PM by PoonTangClan »

Bat Man

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 08:52:48 PM »
I've done it several times (mainly daytime)

Did one epic trip through the countryside on a motorcycle.

TheRealDallas

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 09:34:58 PM »
🤔 I wonder if mongers of yesteryear was doing this to shave and save ….

This seems a bit much imo. Just save ya money … or get ya money up

But do you and be safe….

Newyorkny

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 10:08:18 PM »
First time visiting, go to ok motors and travel everywhere lol whatever happened to that guy

Ted68

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 11:03:00 PM »

Just determine your personal level of risk and go from there as we are all different.  I have never and will not drive in the DR. I drive enough during my commute in the states and I simply want to have one less thing to worry about on my vacation. Each time I have been I have seen an accident be it cars or motoconchos and cars. The buses both Caribe and Metro have served me well thus far.

ironmantis

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 07:33:59 AM »
I do the drive literally every visit, in a rental.

It's a relaxing drive, nice scenery and it goes by fast when you're cruising with your music on.

There's only 2 or 3 tolls.

You'll pass Santiago,  bonao, La Vega, and see some beautiful vistas.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »
Learning to drive in Canada almost 50 years ago some things have just stuck.

We had driving lessons then, I am sure that is a concept that does not exist in DR. We all took Young Drivers of Canada lessons (to reduce our insurance) and were taught defensive driving, i am sure most of the fellas on here in the military had defensive driving lessons. Also at home, we have the expectation of being pulled over if we break a traffic law, so as a rule... We obey the traffic rules.

This is a country of shitty drivers who learned how to operate a vehicle by ripping around on a moto and then just upgraded to four wheels, and will happily run a red light in front of a cop.

Pay attention, expect there to be someone in your lane, don't lower yourself to the locals standards.

mr212

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 02:42:49 PM »
I do the drive literally every visit, in a rental.

It's a relaxing drive, nice scenery and it goes by fast when you're cruising with your music on.

There's only 2 or 3 tolls.

You'll pass Santiago,  bonao, La Vega, and see some beautiful vistas.

Do you get insurance?

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal