global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa  (Read 1718 times)

stinqu

Re: Driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 04:03:33 PM »
The bridge form airport to Sosua is now closed for repair, detour will double travel time to Sosua and maybe the price.

BLAZEBOY

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
Three weeks ago on my Caribe Tours bus to santo Domingo from santiago, I saw two horrible wrecks on the Duarte highway near Bonao, including the one below:

https://dominicantoday.com/amp/news?id=171952&title=those-involved-in-the-duarte-highway-accident-point-to-the-lack-of-signage-as-the-cause

The wrecks looked like a scene from one of the final destination movies smh. Safe is not a word I would ever use to describe driving anywhere in the DR. Every time I’ve visited the country, I see at least one nasty or fatal wreck. There’s very little regard for rules or life itself out there on the roads. Additionally, as a gringo if you get into an accident you’ll likely be at fault no matter what actually happened responsibility wise.

Save yourself the headache, take the bus/taxi or hire a driver.
I agree I will never make that drive. The only time I drove in DR was between Sosua and Caberete. I take Caribe Tours all the time from Santo Domingo cheap and peace of mind. If you do hire someone make sure they don't take the mountain route. Trust me!!
Keep It Movin!

ToToMarauder

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 01:30:41 PM »
the drive is not that bad, is the people who you sharing the road the problem. if the drive can be done late at night or reduced traffic the better.lets keep it real fellas, How many Dominican driving schools have you seen? lol i'll wait.word to the wise. if you are tired or not on your 100% alert. do not do it. you are looking for trouble. if you get a cop on your rearview? stop and just say you do not speak the language and do not understand. once they see your passport, they might cut you loose. if they ask you for money just say you don't have.... unless they want to give you a ticket. lol hit off papi with a 10 or a 5 and wave good bye
binary thinking at its best

Jazzy2019

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 03:01:47 PM »
Once you are able to get out of the capital the drive is pretty straightforward other than the confusion of getting through Santiago. In my opinion it is not a drive that someone unfamiliar with the route should attempt to complete at night.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 04:32:50 PM »
The bridge form airport to Sosua is now closed for repair, detour will double travel time to Sosua and maybe the price.

Stinq, the bridge is on the other side of the airport at Cangrejo close to Monteliano, so no issue from POP to Sosua. You will need the detour if you are going to Puerto Plata City or Santiago from Sosua, but I hear the detour is being managed well and only adding about 15 minutes.

stinqu

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2023, 04:54:32 PM »
Viva, thanks for correcting me.

murano2010

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2023, 06:36:04 AM »
Hey guys thinking about driving from Santo Domingo to Sousa myself with a car rental.

Has anyone made that drive? Is it safe? Did you save money?
My early years of driving within the DR, I drove all over the country.  Nothing stopped me from exploring.  So as someone else said here, if you can deal with the problems that you may encounter, then go for it.  You mentioned something about saving money?

If you are driving instead of taking the bus, you are not doing it to save money.  You are doing it because you want the freedom of mobility.  But know the risks, know the costs.

1. You are paying for the rental, Im sure thats not cheap.

2. You have to pay for gas which is not cheap, and you also have to refill the tank when you turn it in.

3. Does your rental agreement include "Casa De Conductor" coverage?   If not you can be temporarily jailed ( while an investigation is conducted ) if you are involved in an accident where a serious injury or death has a occurred.   Most insurance companies provide this coverage.  But it doesnt mean your rental agency automatically provides this coverage to your rental agreement.

4. Even minor fender bender incidents can be a pain in the ass when dealing with locals.  You could end up having to pay to fix somebody elses property, even if they were in the wrong.

5. Anything happens to the vehicle while in your possession will be your responsibility.

6. Someone mentioned you possibly having to drive all the way back to SD to turn the vehicle back in.

Other than that and what has already been shared.  Driving can be enjoyable and fulfilling.  Especially if you are going to other places and carrying passengers. 

My years of driving all over this country for fun and exploring is limited now. 
What I have enjoyed with friends that havent been anywhere except Sosua, is take day trips towards the mountains of Jarabacoa, taking the scenic road to Constanza.  Maybe buy some produce on the way.

Ive also done the Las Terrenas/Samana trips from time to time.   When I come from Boca Chica or SDQ heading to Sosua, I take the Nagua route, then go west on route 5.   

The route to Sosua from within Santo Domingo city is much better now once you get away from the congestion.    While on Route 1 north, take the bypass exit after the STI airport to avoid Santiago traffic.   The rest is a piece of cake.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:50:35 AM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

Hobby

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »
If you drive anywhere make sure it is a distinguished agency that you rent from.  You don't want to be caught out there with no insurance.  I rent most of the time for OK motors in Caberete. I would recommend to always drive slowly and let the car honking behind you go around you.  I drive along the north coast and though it is not all the way from Santo Domingo it still can be a nerve wrecking situation.  Last time driving from Caberate back to Sosua, I had a driver almost hit my car after stopping short because the driver in front of me stopped short.  My heart was in my throat because all I could think about was the payoff I would have to make.  Luckily he stopped right behind me and almost hit my car.  Even if you drive be very careful and drive safe and you should be ok but accidents do happen (that's why they are called accidents).  Just make sure you have a plan because if someone hits you (and not the other way around) then you will be paying people off. I contact a lawyer in DR before I go and if something happens I have them on speed dial.

Hobby
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:52:08 PM by Hobby »

Stones

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2023, 06:32:58 PM »
Not a chance in hell I'd do that drive. Why? You won't need the car once you get to Sosua. Second, think seriously about where you are going to park the car. That part is not as easy as you might expect. Get that part straightened out before you make the commitment. And finally, you're on vacation in a foreign country. Driving in the DR is crazy as f--k. Focus on the hoes, not on driving.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:49:02 PM by Stones »

stinqu

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2023, 06:46:35 PM »
Not a chance in hell I'd do that drive. Why? You won't need the car once you get to Sosua. Second, think seriously about where you are going to park the car. That part is not as easy as you might expect. Get that part straightened out before you make the commitment.

Where you park the car when there is most important, unless you have secure lot to park forget it. Street parking over night is a big mistake.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal