global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: closest golf to sosua?  (Read 12044 times)

username

closest golf to sosua?
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
does anyone here play it regularly?
prices? i need a cart...$?
and i suppose they all demand we take a caddie?
total price for a round about???
thanks...
fore !!!!

FuenteFuente

Re: closest golf to sosua?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
Depends on what you mean by "close." There is no good golf very close to Sosua. You're at least an hour's drive each way for a high quality golf course. There are comments here in the forum about Playa Grande Golf and Ocean Club, which is a gem. The distance is the thing. With the travel time, logistics and the round itself you're talking about close to eight hours.  Here's the link: http://www.playagrande.com/

Also, Dominican golfers are notorious for playing only with other Dominicans. So if you are walking on as an American you'll probably be playing by yourself. It's a lot different in Punta Cana where there are lots of American tourists to pair up with. Punta Cana is a golf destination. Sosua? Not so much.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:17:54 PM by FuenteFuente »
I am a voracious reader, news junkie and learner of the Dominican Republic culture and lifestyle. My recommendations, posts and reviews are my own. No one in the D.R. has ever paid or comped me to do shit.

username

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
i,m Canadian , but we nearly speak the same language ..eh.
And we shoot for the cup ...lol

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:42:25 AM »
Wait? What???

Just kidding!
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

danceelite0

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
Playa dorada is the closet course, 35 mins away, nice challengeing 18 hole spread.  Fuente is right you need a playing partner.  I am better than most with 10 handicap and the Dominicans won’t play with me.  18 holes alone is no fun especially not at 100bucks and yes they require a caddy unless you are a member.  There are quite a few of us that do play give a shout out when you are going and you may get lucky and one of us will be coming in.  Bachetero, JD, Fuente Fuente and myself are golfers.  Both Bach and JD best me and I think I am pretty good. 

username

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:46:46 PM »
playing off a 10....how nice.
lowest i,ve been is 16
now older and dont play a whole lot unless i go away like this planed trip..
but like competition...and i like golf because anyone can play anyone with handicaps..
Give me 18 strokes...buck a hole and let the fun begin :)

bachatero

• Devoted Contributer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I prefer Casa de Campo.  Teeth of the Dog is rated in the top 50 golf courses in the world every year.  It's the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean.  I play golf in the DR with friends though.  Punta Cana has the most golf courses though, but they cannot match up to Casa de Campo.

Still waiting for a rematch Dance!!!
Live free or die!

vpeezy

• "The World is Flip Flop"
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »
Playa Dorado... As soon as you enter, I cant tell you price but my cousins go all the time and its a well known course
Flip Flop Sports Bar / Flip Flop Taco Shop / Flip Flop Beach Bar #38 and a Few Nice Boats..... Sosua, RD

danceelite0

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
Bach I am going to be in Santo Domingo on the 24 of October if you are around we can play.  I am in for 5 days.

bachatero

• Devoted Contributer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
@Dance  Wish I could, but I'm stuck in Chicago traveling in the USA for the next month or so.  Can't wait to get back.  I will be heading to ATL for business in a month or so.  Let me know if you want to play golf there...they have a lot of great courses.
Live free or die!

FuenteFuente

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »
Playa dorada is the closet course, 35 mins away, nice challengeing 18 hole spread.  Fuente is right you need a playing partner.  I am better than most with 10 handicap and the Dominicans won’t play with me.  18 holes alone is no fun especially not at 100bucks and yes they require a caddy unless you are a member.  There are quite a few of us that do play give a shout out when you are going and you may get lucky and one of us will be coming in.  Bachetero, JD, Fuente Fuente and myself are golfers.  Both Bach and JD best me and I think I am pretty good.

I'm working on my game and want to get some some practice while I'm in Sosua for two weeks starting Halloween. Basically I just want some work chipping, putting, sand play and driving range. Does anybody know if the practice facilities at Playa Dorado are at least decent? I'd like to shoot down from Sosua for practice five or six times over my two weeks. Not interested so much in playing since I'll be solo. If the driving range/practice facilities are decent I'll take my clubs down.

Also, any idea what a taxi would cost from Sosua? Ideally I'd like a driver who would take me down and back each day.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:21:25 PM by FuenteFuente »
I am a voracious reader, news junkie and learner of the Dominican Republic culture and lifestyle. My recommendations, posts and reviews are my own. No one in the D.R. has ever paid or comped me to do shit.

danceelite0

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »
Thanks about a 40 buck ride one way,  however those guys sit outside New Garden all day looking to get a rider to the airport.   I am certain you could get a deal for 50 and he’ll wait to take you back.  The practice facility at Dorada are decent.  They have a driving range where you will hit balls off grass and it’s got descent size.  The got a nice putting green and won’t get upset if you chip.  I didn’t see practice sand but thier sand traps on the course are very granular, the sand particles are big not fine like we are use to at home.  The real drawback is the range balls, they are shitty.  They old and beat up. 

FuenteFuente

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 04:05:12 AM »
Thanks about a 40 buck ride one way,  however those guys sit outside New Garden all day looking to get a rider to the airport.   I am certain you could get a deal for 50 and he’ll wait to take you back.  The practice facility at Dorada are decent.  They have a driving range where you will hit balls off grass and it’s got descent size.  The got a nice putting green and won’t get upset if you chip.  I didn’t see practice sand but thier sand traps on the course are very granular, the sand particles are big not fine like we are use to at home.  The real drawback is the range balls, they are shitty.  They old and beat up.

Thanks Dance! I was afraid the travel costs would be high but I am still thinking about it. I understand the $40 one way. Are you saying I might be able to talk somebody into a roundtrip for $50 and he'd wait? Now that I would do. I'd be on the range only for about 75 minutes. On the other hand, shitty range balls -- uggh!

Vern2020

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 05:47:05 PM »
For anyone who has played Playa Dorado before-- what is an appropriate tip for the caddy? 

FuenteFuente

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »
Hey Vern,

Dancellito has played the course and I am sure he will chime in soon. What I have found out so far is that it is roughly $80 minimum for the greens fees. Caddie is about $20-$25, and caddie tip is about $25. So that's about $125 minimum. Everybody says the rental clubs there are awful, so I'm factoring in the roughly $120 in baggage fees to bring my own sticks. I still might do it. Will ping you via PM in a few days since our dates overlap. Maybe we can connect offline by phone and talk a bit about golf in the Su.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal