global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: which hotel has the best wifi connection ? (speed/stability)  (Read 726 times)

bingoman

which hotel has the best wifi connection ? (speed/stability)
« on: March 30, 2024, 09:05:54 AM »
Thank you in advance.

This will be my first trip and I am trying to book for 1-2 weeks in Sosua and I am thinking of getting some work done in the when not looking for negotiable love.

Most hotels have reviews of bad wifi or not so good wifi, even though the wifi is free. Sosua Inn/Casa Valeria are booked out unless I change dates.

I can also get a 4G SIM card but not sure how fast it is in Sosua.

Please can you comment based on your experience if it is possible to remotely work in Sosua ?

tugboaboat5393

Re: which hotel has the best wifi connection ? (speed/stability)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 12:17:40 PM »
Murano this is a good question for you  !id get a dedicated hot spot device, would not trust there Delancer Suck cabel service,,,,some hotels dont have back up generators power goes out so does your internet,, not uncommon for the power to go out 4 or 5 times a day deppending on location !

bingoman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 02:17:06 PM »
Murano this is a good question for you  !id get a dedicated hot spot device, would not trust there Delancer Suck cabel service,,,,some hotels dont have back up generators power goes out so does your internet,, not uncommon for the power to go out 4 or 5 times a day deppending on location !

Thanks for the quick response Tug !

Also found similar thread/advice here https://takemebacktososua.com/index.php?topic=15701.msg296352#msg296352

jd66

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 03:03:48 PM »
Oh please all your going to get out of Murano is 3 pages of rambling bs

It all depends on what your connection requirements are.  So figure out what your needs might be first. 

The internet in Sosua is marginal at best.  Even in the hotels where you are located in that hotel can make a big difference.

Get a hotspot and a DR data plan but even that is not fool proof since you are essentially relying on cellular data which can be hit and miss

You could also use your home cellular if you can get a decent international plan that is affordable but again that will only be as good as the cell signal where you are staying.

Having redundant options is about the best you can do.

Viva La Vega

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 03:58:44 PM »
Unless you are a game/graphics designer it does not matter. The wifi most places is good enough to make a trade, check your mail, join a zoom.

bingoman

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 12:04:21 PM »
Thanks jd66 and Viva La Vega. I would need something in the range of 20-25 mbps and I can probably make do with a 4G hotspot.

Al NYC

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 06:38:15 AM »

Murano is too busy scouting at rumble, so he can post on his anti-vax thread.

crazy_canuck

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 10:09:10 AM »
Thanks jd66 and Viva La Vega. I would need something in the range of 20-25 mbps and I can probably make do with a 4G hotspot.

You won't have any better than 4g almost anywhere in the DR ... 5g is available only in Santo Domingo, Santiago and some parts of La Romana and Punta Cana.
Even with a portable hotspot, you can't rely 100% on cell phone coverage since depending on your exact location, your cell phone signal can be sketchy.
If you go that route, Claro seems to have the best coverage on the island.
Why bother with life?
Nobody has ever come out alive.

bingoman

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 03:56:17 PM »

You won't have any better than 4g almost anywhere in the DR ... 5g is available only in Santo Domingo, Santiago and some parts of La Romana and Punta Cana.
Even with a portable hotspot, you can't rely 100% on cell phone coverage since depending on your exact location, your cell phone signal can be sketchy.
If you go that route, Claro seems to have the best coverage on the island.

Thank you, I checked this https://www.nperf.com/en/map/DO/-/176284.Claro-Mobile/signal/?ll=19.08547999705886&lg=-69.24957275390626&zoom=9 and thats why I said 4G. Will go for Claro SIM card once I land

Al NYC

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 06:38:33 AM »
New Garden has Delancer Cable and a WiFi box in their rooms. I’m satisfied with the strength of it. Been able to stream movies from Netflix.

kingotto1

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 10:43:27 PM »
New Garden is pretty good; I did "work from home" for a week there.

A few times the power got kicked off but within 2 minutes, it was back on. ( This seems to be the norm as I've experienced this at other hotels as well)

bingoman

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 02:51:14 AM »
Thank you, that's two more votes for New Garden. I saw a recent video where they have a separate building separated by an alley from the main one. Will go check them out in person when I get there

kingotto1

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 12:48:10 AM »
Can you share the video?

bingoman

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 08:55:32 AM »
Can you share the video?

This one covers New Garden, Casa Valeria and Terra Linda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNoXdPcg9c
Sea Breeze is on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fo2uWegRdE

More recent one showing New Garden : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59P1p_i-nUw
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:59:51 AM by bingoman »

kingotto1

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal