global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Best places to eat for cheap and affordable food  (Read 900 times)

Coochie93

Best places to eat for cheap and affordable food
« on: January 22, 2024, 09:12:26 AM »
Taken from this thread https://takemebacktososua.com/index.php?topic=16026.60;topicseen

Reply #61

What spots in Sosua (by name) would people recommend for eating like a local

murano2010

Re: Best places to eat for cheap and affordable food
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 07:36:02 PM »
There are small Dominican run cafeterias all around Sosua where locals get food.   Some are very cheap and some the food costs a little more.   

On Pedro Clisante there is Cocina by Shannelle where locals eat.   There's a cafe owned by Delacruz way down PC, cheap food.    There's a cafe midblock up the street from Merengue Bar on the side street leading to HWY 5, cheap food.

The Chinese restaurant on HWY 5 across from where the Police Nacional station was.

Then there's Nona restaurant in the neighborhood a few blocks from CMC hospital.  It's a large open area with outdoor seating.  Meals may range from 400 pesos on up for a simple lunch, up to 700.   Adding sides and beverages is what brings up the cost.   

Down the side street from CMC, make a left after 2 long blocks is a local cafe in the neighborhood.  Locals eat there.

Then there is the Tropical Cafe in the plaza where the old WU office was.  Meals about 450 and up depending on the meat, sides and drinks.

On the beach locals go to Marias restaurant on the beach.  I think its #70.  It's on the exit path ( leading to the main road ) in the middle of the beach.   Meals there are very cheap, I think under 200 pesos.   

Next door to City Lights there was a small restaurant.   300 ft from Europa on PC is a local spot.

Rickys restaurant midblock on PC between Europa and Super Super liquor store is a local spot.   The thing I observed, is sometimes they had a habit of giving foreigners a slightly higher price than a local.

Now thats just a small list of places.   I can name more if I took the time.   

There are tons of places where locals eat.  Chicas who dont mind spending money, still eat where foreigners eat.  Not all locals are peso pinching.   Local men on the other hand tend to stick to the cheaper options.   Some locals may even leave Sosua and go to Los Charamicos to eat at a local joint.   
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

murano2010

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 08:11:44 PM »
Iamdreanman5 asked :

Where are the best spots to eat at? For example if I want a really good steak, pizza, chicken wings, Turkey Club with fries, a smoothie or a Miami Vice? And is Finger Finger Haitian food spot on the beach any good?

Realistically, the way you determine the best spots to eat, for steak, pizza, chicken wings, etc is for you to get to Sosua and find out for yourself.   Suppose you get a bunch of recommendations from board members?    You finally come to Sosua, go to those places, and end up disappointed.

Only you will know what the best spots are for you to eat by experimentation.  I dont go to Finger Finger for personal reasons ( dont like price or portions ).   For steaks try Mango Tropical, Terra Linda , Margot.   For pizza try Pizzeria Uno @Terra Linda, Bailee's,Margot,Osteria Toscana ( I recommend this one ). Bologna.   

Chicken wings. Kings, Wings and Waffles, Tiki Wiki ( corner of Dr Rosen and Pedro Clisante, Mango Tropical), Flip Flop,  there may be others.  I absolutely do not recommend Bailee's for wings. 

Turkey Club sandwiches may be rare in Sosua.  But you can try Bailee's or Margot to see if they have those sandwiches.

Another place you can try is Fresh Fresh on Hwy 5 in the plaza next door to CMC hospital.   They have wraps , burritos and bowls.   Plus they make smoothies. 

Burgers : check out all of the previous places I mentioned.   You can also check out the places all along Pedro Clisante and nearby.  Elefante Rossi, Jolly Roger, Fat Jesses, Cafe Cubana, Alfredos next door to Cafe Cubana ( cigar lounge ),New Garden, Sosua Beach hotel ( formerly Casa Cayenna ), Stewarts down by Playa Alicia.     

Jamaican food :  Try Alex directly across from Terra Linda. 

If mobile take a ride down the hwy to Crazy Ranch for steak, ribs, chicken, briskets,burgers (beef and chicken.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:30:32 PM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

stinqu

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 08:38:30 PM »
I don't look for food I can get at home, why travel if you don't try the food!! Any time I see a sign that says they serve Sancocho, I'm in!! I've had some great meals not knowing for sure what the Plato Del Dia was, lol.When it comes to Dominican food, they can literally make a silk purse out of a sows ear! lololol.

DJ Oldboy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 10:43:42 AM »
I ride with Stinqu on this one. I'm not here for the burgers n fries. But if you do go for a burger,here's a hedzup...DR has nowhere near the inspection process for meat n fish that US,Canada and other countries have. Be sure that burger's well done. Eating rare meat down here is a crapshoot;as in eat the wrong burger improperly cooked and you'll be shooting crap for 3 days. One of Sosuas assets is the great selection of not only DR and Carribean cuisine but the many really good European eating spots available. There are some chefs down here who can throw down! And a plug here for my friend Mannys El Velero on the beach. Good all purpose dining for all 3 meals,good drinks, great smoothies and yes,everything properly cooked

Iamdreamman35

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 10:30:56 AM »
I ride with Stinqu on this one. I'm not here for the burgers n fries. But if you do go for a burger,here's a hedzup...DR has nowhere near the inspection process for meat n fish that US,Canada and other countries have. Be sure that burger's well done. Eating rare meat down here is a crapshoot;as in eat the wrong burger improperly cooked and you'll be shooting crap for 3 days. One of Sosuas assets is the great selection of not only DR and Carribean cuisine but the many really good European eating spots available. There are some chefs down here who can throw down! And a plug here for my friend Mannys El Velero on the beach. Good all purpose dining for all 3 meals,good drinks, great smoothies and yes,everything properly cooked

Thanks for tips and the advice. Didn't think or consider about the food inspection process etc. Definitely need to check out that Jamaican spot Murano mentioned though. Thanks again.

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 01:40:19 PM »
If your there for 7 days or more cook your own food if you have rented a decent casa or apartemento with adquate cooking faclities or have a trusted chica cook for you !

Irie mon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 11:05:01 AM »
I appreciate the list gentlemen!

Does anyone have suggestions for places to stop for authentic Dominican dishes? I only visit short-term so price is not very important to me.
A place that is now closed had excellent Sancocho.  Fantastic Dominican seasoned chicken (not fried) and their rice and beans were pretty damn enjoyable.  Any suggestions is appreciated.

What is everyone’s favorite place to eat on the beach?

A few places I try to stop at once while in town are -
The Waterfront on Playa Alicia
Nelson’s Bistro
The Super Club in Hispaniola

stinqu

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 09:28:48 PM »

Does anyone have suggestions for places to stop for authentic Dominican dishes? I only visit short-term so price is not very important to me.
A place that is now closed had excellent Sancocho.  Fantastic Dominican seasoned chicken (not fried) and their rice and beans were pretty damn enjoyable.  Any suggestions is appreciated.

Nelson’s Bistro
To get good Sanchoco(from the street) is hard to find,it is allot of work to make it, and not cheap.I know of one place that makes it about 2x a week. A little hole in the wall cafeteria place beside the Finish Line bar.

murano2010

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 01:11:55 AM »

Nelson’s Bistro
There are Dominican restaurants all over Sosua.  Just ask around when you are there.  I mentioned a few, like Nonas, but it's hard to give exact directions or locations on here.

My favorite places on the beach these days are Aris restaurant#67.   And Velero on the beach.    My ultimate favorites have closed down.  That was The TreeHouse, Zanzibar and Big D for their Turkey legs.

Used to like Mofongo King until they cut down on their portions, and cut back on their mixed beverages.  They dont fill their glasses anymore.    Oh yeah I still like the food ( mainly the red snapper ) at Jorge Mayra #87.   They used to be located at #64 until they lost that location.   
Chulos restaurant #88 is okay too.   

I went to the Haitian guy next door to Finger Finger and was disappointed.   I had the jerk turkey. Meal was served cold, small portions and shitty attitude of waitress

stinqu

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 08:27:43 PM »
Has any one been to Micheal's place in Charamico lately, good fish dinner the last time I was there(4yrs). The view is the best! Over looking Sosua bay.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal