global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Question for Xpats  (Read 1852 times)

stinqu

Question for Xpats
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:17:53 PM »
Do you use a credit card when shopping at the Big Plyero. In the past when I stayed three or four months I used cash, now I may stay 6 months and using a card would be easier.

murano2010

Re: Question for Xpats
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 04:52:24 AM »
Do you use a credit card when shopping at the Big Plyero. In the past when I stayed three or four months I used cash, now I may stay 6 months and using a card would be easier.
Technically no.  I use my debit cards when shopping at Playero, Supa Pola, Jumbo and La Sirena.  Better for me.  Dont have to keep up with making sure the CC bill is paid every month before incurring interest charges. 

Lately,  Playero, Jumbo and I believe La Sirena all have stepped up in the game.   They all have contactless payment terminals, which also use Samsung Pay and Google Pay.   Sorry to report, as of a week ago,  Supa Pola's pay terminal still requires the use of the physical card to insert.     But if you decide to pay with a contactless CC or DC,  these new terminals at these other stores allow you to just hover the card over the sensor without actually inserting the card into the terminal.   

With Samsung Pay or Google Pay, you use your phone to pay, because your CC or DC are already set up in your phone.   When you are ready to pay, you select the CC/DC in your phone , enter your pin or fingerprint, and then you hover the phone over the sensor of the payment terminal,  wait for the check symbol to pop up ✔, and the cashier hands you your receipt.

What I like about this system, it's secure and you dont have to physically produce your CC/DC for payment.   Additionally, if you have loyalty store cards,  they can be scanned and added into Samsung Pay or Google Pay as well.   At the register you bring up the loyalty card on your Samsung Pay or Google Pay app,  scan it where the cashier normally does, and then choose the CC/DC card in your phone you intend to pay with.   

The benefit of using your phone to pay, is that your actual card number is not transmitted to the pay terminal.  Your CC/DC produces a digital replication of your card, and that is what is used to verify that it is authentic,  and the terminal accepts it.   

Easy, no need to carry your real CC/DC just to make purchases.   

Samsung Pay Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuaiEL-x5_c&t=5s

How to set up and Use Samsung Pay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCf-0d7bIbc

How to set up and Use Google Pay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnwC56HAcM
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:10:14 AM by murano2010 »
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

murano2010

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:00:47 AM »
Note on using store Loyalty Cards : 

If you do not have Playero or La Sirena's loyalty cards, consider getting them.  Bring your passport to the customer service desk.  The loyalty cards do not mean discounts or entitling you to specials on items in the store.  All it does is allow you to earn points based on your shopping habits.  After lets say 6 months or more, depending how much you spent, you will have earned points which translates into credit in pesos. 

Credit to be used to buy stuff in that store.  Supa Pola and La Sirena's loyalty card can be used at both stores.  Same account.   If you have credit on your account, the cashier may ask you before scanning your items on the belt,  if you are using your points or normal.  Most people that havent shopped that much say normal.   They may wait until an entire year has passed, and then cash in on using the credit that has accumulated.  It pays to swipe your loyalty card, even on somebody elses checkout ( if they dont have a loyalty card ).   Usually that happens with friends/family.  You will get credit on your loyalty card account for their purchases as if you bought it.   
Where you stand on the issue depends on where you sit.  The words enough, some, many , to whom it applies to, does not mean ALL of any people, places or things.  If you cant, dont or wont learn from friends, family or your peers, dont worry the locals will teach you, and you will learn the hard way.

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:25:35 AM »
Google  and samsung. Touchless payments are the way to go dont use your debit card.  Last trip I early march my debit card was cloned at playjero !

Al NYC

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Technically no.  I use my debit cards when shopping at Playero, Supa Pola, Jumbo and La Sirena.  Better for me.  Dont have to keep up with making sure the CC bill is paid every month before incurring interest charges. 

Lately,  Playero, Jumbo and I believe La Sirena all have stepped up in the game.   They all have contactless payment terminals, which also use Samsung Pay and Google Pay.   Sorry to report, as of a week ago,  Supa Pola's pay terminal still requires the use of the physical card to insert.     But if you decide to pay with a contactless CC or DC,  these new terminals at these other stores allow you to just hover the card over the sensor without actually inserting the card into the terminal.   

With Samsung Pay or Google Pay, you use your phone to pay, because your CC or DC are already set up in your phone.   When you are ready to pay, you select the CC/DC in your phone , enter your pin or fingerprint, and then you hover the phone over the sensor of the payment terminal,  wait for the check symbol to pop up ✔, and the cashier hands you your receipt.

What I like about this system, it's secure and you dont have to physically produce your CC/DC for payment.   Additionally, if you have loyalty store cards,  they can be scanned and added into Samsung Pay or Google Pay as well.   At the register you bring up the loyalty card on your Samsung Pay or Google Pay app,  scan it where the cashier normally does, and then choose the CC/DC card in your phone you intend to pay with.   

The benefit of using your phone to pay, is that your actual card number is not transmitted to the pay terminal.  Your CC/DC produces a digital replication of your card, and that is what is used to verify that it is authentic,  and the terminal accepts it.   

Easy, no need to carry your real CC/DC just to make purchases.   

Samsung Pay Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuaiEL-x5_c&t=5s

How to set up and Use Samsung Pay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCf-0d7bIbc

How to set up and Use Google Pay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnwC56HAcM

What about Apple Pay???

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
Good Question, Im old and slow Perhaps some Youngins that are Tech savy, can fill us in !

murano2010

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 06:16:44 PM »

What about Apple Pay???
I would assume those terminals in those stores I mentioned use Apple Pay too.  But I have not confirmed it.   Hopefully next visit , I will remember to ask.   Are you currently using Apple Pay where you live?   If so how is it working for you now?   

Tarik

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 11:10:17 AM »
Not a full time resident, but I live there about a third of the year.

If you're there more than a few weekends a year, consider getting either a local account, or a standalone "travel" card to use. There are many like the Charles Schwab card, which allow unlimited withdrawals, and no foreign transaction fee.

I'd recommend a debit card primarily because it allows you to withdraw cash. Make sure it has fraud protection in case they clone your card. That said, a credit card with a minimum 10k line of credit is your insurance policy in case you get injured and you don't have insurance the private hospitals will accept.

SeñorToto

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 01:15:03 PM »
Question , does La Sirena or Jumbo overscan items to overcharge you? I swear everytime i go , they scan my items so fast, the receipt be looking like they overscanned my items or did some kind of trick to inflate the bill.... anybody had a similar experience in the supermarkets?

Viva La Vega

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:12:30 PM »
A lot of the BIG SALE promotional price tags you see are for the store cardholder prices. I tend to be drawn to the big yellow signs with the big red numbers and don't notice  "cardholder price" written below in what amounts to be the fine print.

Lots of times i have put stuff in my cart expecting it to be $300RD like the sign says and the price I paid was $400. So pretty sure thats why you would think you are being "over charged".

Get a Playero and La Sirena card if you are around for a while, probably need to show your passport, but that's about it.

I always get a smile from the cashiers when i pull out the card because they dont expect this gringo to have one.

murano2010

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 07:41:04 PM »
Question , does La Sirena or Jumbo overscan items to overcharge you? I swear everytime i go , they scan my items so fast, the receipt be looking like they overscanned my items or did some kind of trick to inflate the bill.... anybody had a similar experience in the supermarkets?
Not sure exactly what you are experiencing.   But when you look at the receipt,  look at each item.   The total price of the item is broken down in two parts.   ITBIS taxes on the left, and the price of the item on the right.   Put them together and thats the total price for that item.   So if you buy 15 items.   One column will show the taxes for each item on the left,  and the 2nd column on the right will show the base price of the item without taxes.   Add up both columns ( taxes and price of items ), then combine them to get the total cost for everything. 

Here's an example.  You buy some cereal.  On the shelf the cereal has a price label that says 450 pesos.   On your receipt the taxes in the 1st column may show ITBIS of RD 150 and the base price in the 2nd column will show RD 300.    The register separates taxes from the base price,  but adds up both columns to get the full price of RD 450 for the cereal.     If one mainly pays attention to the base price, on the right,  it may appear that extra charges are being added to the item at the register.   

One must be mindful.  A lot of stuff foreigners buy is imported.  The total cost of the item may seem a bit overpriced.  And that can potentially be because the taxes for the item may be higher.   Another example?    Playero at one time was selling quarts of Eggnog by Borden, for 440 pesos.  Do you know how much that is in USD?   It's about $7.   So if you bought 4 quarts of eggnog,   that shit was $28 dollars!!!!.   $28 freaking dollars for a gallon of eggnog???   

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 05:53:05 AM »
Is Sosua and  The rest of the DR becomeing part of the modern Global economy?
Touches less comunications to pay for services  just wait the hoes will have a touch less App to get paid  Gee some of those dimes could charge big bucks when you go lets say suck on a tit    $25, usd  more for other parts  shit theses hoes be charging like vegas Whores,  The old days  Cash on the barrel for every thing,  Chicas had no cell phones,,,gee i remeber the old shitty flip fones with tiny camera and screen, and to text a meseage was slow as shit... So the only way was the tella chica net work and the chica would meet you the next day,,no back in forth on a fone and bs on whats app,,, the chica showed up the next day and  in most cases  you had a nice GFE, Today your getting the bums Rush chica rushes you to letche, pump and dump out the door,,,,
So is the old days better or the Lighting pace of today ?!     

Raul67

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 07:20:53 AM »
Great thread!  This old guy is learning a lot.

My experience in third world counties is your cc number will be stolen even if you are staying in high end resorts. Eventually the bastards use your cc number and you have to change to a new number.

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 08:59:17 AM »
I use CC when shopping at the grocery stores. If anything goes awry or criminal...the card has those protections. Not to mention, my cash for entertainment is untouched and ready for me to enjoy.
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

WanderingMan

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 11:21:09 AM »
I have a card for international travel. On one trip to the Dominican Republic the card number was stolen. It took American Express at least half a second to figure it out when they tried buying some expensive items. After that experience, I stopped using the card in restaurants and only use it at the big grocery story. Never had a problem after that one trip.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal