global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Do you travel insured?  (Read 3946 times)

Dothedamthing

Do you travel insured?
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:26:44 PM »
I was talking to one of my partners about the merits of purchasing travel insurance. I have always purchased trip protection plus medical insurance everytime I travel outside the US. Over the years I have used the trip protection several times especially with lost luggage and flight issues. Hope I never need the medical side, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I would not want to be stranded in another country and not be able to get home until I could pay medical bills. What are your thoughts and do you get insurance?
If you can't change the outcome of a situation then don't worry about it.

Travelguy90

Re: Do you travel insured?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
Just turned 30 and no I don’t. Have about 10 international trips between Thailand Colombia and DR with no issues. Peace of mind may make it worth it, but for me the money saved can contribute towards an emergency
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:06:16 AM »
I love f--king them raw! And at my age, I ain't got shit to lose medically. No medical insurance needed! If my card don't cover it, just close the casket...I'm good and had a great life!  I'd rather deal without paying for travel or medical insurance. Those are just tricks to get more money out of you...betting that nothing goes wrong with your trip.
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

crazy_canuck

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 10:26:26 AM »
Before covid, I had the Blue Cross annual travel insurance ... peace of mind for cheap IMHO
Why bother with life?
Nobody has ever come out alive.

Dothedamthing

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
Im not just talking about if you just get I'll. It only takes one accident(which may not kill you) to make the trip go from a dream to a nightmare. The insurance cost is usually about $30-$75 per trip. This will cover medical bills and emergency evacuations to a modern medical facility and the US if needed. I know one of my cousins on a family vacation got stuck in the Bahamas back in the early 90's after being in a car accident. He had over $45k in medical procedures to just get him stabilized and a daily cost to recuperate in the hospital. Upon being taken to the hospital my aunt paid 10k on credit cards just to get the hospital to even start treating him. She had to do wire transfers on the rest before they would even release his passport. That accident literally wiped out his savings. He still had to have another procedure when he got back to the states. $45k was a large sum of money then and still is now. Every since then I have purchased insurance.
If you can't change the outcome of a situation then don't worry about it.

BLAZEBOY

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 12:37:21 PM »
Im not just talking about if you just get I'll. It only takes one accident(which may not kill you) to make the trip go from a dream to a nightmare. The insurance cost is usually about $30-$75 per trip. This will cover medical bills and emergency evacuations to a modern medical facility and the US if needed. I know one of my cousins on a family vacation got stuck in the Bahamas back in the early 90's after being in a car accident. He had over $45k in medical procedures to just get him stabilized and a daily cost to recuperate in the hospital. Upon being taken to the hospital my aunt paid 10k on credit cards just to get the hospital to even start treating him. She had to do wire transfers on the rest before they would even release his passport. That accident literally wiped out his savings. He still had to have another procedure when he got back to the states. $45k was a large sum of money then and still is now. Every since then I have purchased insurance.
I never took travel insurance seriously until recently with this Covid thing. I've had a few close calls while on vacation and thankfully I never had to go to the hospital. Seems like its a no brainer now with how cheap it is since you really never know and may regret not having it.
Keep It Movin!

mvagusta16

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 03:24:03 PM »
Is there one that you guys recommend? I usually take the insurance offered with the Jetblue flight but does that cover health too?

stinqu

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 06:33:01 PM »
If you have nothing of value, then do not get insurance . I am 65 and have 6 figure assets, I GET TRAVEL INSURANCE.

Hoosier

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 06:42:33 PM »
I have TRICARE from the military but the problem with TRICARE overseas is that you have to pay in full and then apply to TRICARE for a 75% reimbursement. So, beginning with this current trip I'm on, I purchased a straight $100,000 travel medical insurance policy from Tokio Marine Insurance Company that includes COVID-19. It also has a $100 deductible.

I'm 55 and it's costing me about $67 a month. Great piece of mind.

Here's the link to the website where I purchased the policy:

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/

Viva La Vega

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 07:00:27 PM »
I have TRICARE from the military but the problem with TRICARE overseas is that you have to pay in full and then apply to TRICARE for a 75% reimbursement. So, beginning with this current trip I'm on, I purchased a straight $100,000 travel medical insurance policy from Tokio Marine Insurance Company that includes COVID-19. It also has a $100 deductible.

I'm 55 and it's costing me about $67 a month. Great piece of mind.

Here's the link to the website where I purchased the policy:

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/

This looks like great value.

crazy_canuck

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 12:36:46 PM »
Blue Cross is one of the most recognised travel insurance all over the world.
Why bother with life?

crazy_canuck

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
Blue Cross is one of the most recognised travel insurance all over the world.

GeoBlue, right?

Not bad.  A little pricey compared to the others.  But I would go with it.

I just saw that blue cross seems to be more a canadian insurance company ... maybe blue cross blue shield in the usa?
Anyways, I had to use it once in Thaïland and service was A1 and easy ...
Why bother with life?

stinqu

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 03:36:26 PM »
I'm 65, the coverage I get for 4 months in the DR. cost the same as one month rent where I stay. It covers up $10,000/ DAY in the hospital for 60 days, and up to $500,000 for air ambulance to bring me home. I am a VISA AVION CARD MEMBER FOR OVER 10 YEARS.

stinqu

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 03:50:17 PM »
Alot of Canadian travelers forget about coverage when the leave home, because we have universal coverage at home. I know some one who went broke from a vacation accident

IP-JD

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 04:07:37 PM »
No. Dont see the value and have found it to be more of a hassle when its time to for reimbursements. Also, there are many premium credit cards that cover travel insurance for the trip and medical needs.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal