global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Do you travel insured?  (Read 3943 times)

mikec

Re: Do you travel insured?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »
yes geoblue, that's what I get.  when I researched companies like travel nomads and others I liked geoblue overall.  good deal and highly recognized, contracted with many hospitals etc.  they sell it per trip or an annual multi trip which I do for only 175 a year covering several months overall I'm overseas.  very cheap.  only a hundred deductible.  i didnt used to bother considering how cheap medical care is in these countries but I realized as said in this post if you get in any kind of accident or seriously ill they will rake you across the coals.  just imagine if something happened in Canada or europe.  but also I've read that in DR if you dont have insurance they'll let you die on the floor.  you have to have it there I've heard if you're in serious need of a doctor.  shit can happen to you at any age.  get it. 

MrNavigator

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »
Here's the question tho.....how many have actually used the medical insurance for an emergency in the DR or any 3rd world country?? Like someone said how was the hassle, did you have to get reimbursed, was you on the phone all day on hold or talking to a mf who didn't speak good English? Has it been worth it so far?

lazy_monger

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »
Rolled the dice when I was younger but now that I can afford it, I travel with insurance.  In the DR I think most dudes on here can cover most medical costs if it arises and especially if you are only going once or twice a year.   My boy injured himself f--king a chick in the shower(lol) in Costa Rica and I took him to the ER and they didn't even charge him.  I have heard some horror stories about some DR public hospitals though and I am all about taking me to the rich people hospital until you can fly my ass to Miami. 

PapiViejo-Dark Lord

• Master of the Dark Arts
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
I got sick in Scotland and my card covered it.  It was no big whoop and looking back, I could have ridden it out in the hotel. Of course you know I'm not big on giant meteors hitting the earth.  Shit does happen, but as a standard...I'm ok with leaving my doc dentons open in the back.
Hat Trick Sith - Raw is Law!

yaadman

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 01:04:02 PM »
Lol

Raul67

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 03:18:12 PM »

yaadman

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
Its a old pic, honestly im not sure if its real.

crazy_canuck

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 06:16:21 PM »
Here's the question tho.....how many have actually used the medical insurance for an emergency in the DR or any 3rd world country?? Like someone said how was the hassle, did you have to get reimbursed, was you on the phone all day on hold or talking to a mf who didn't speak good English? Has it been worth it so far?

I had to use it in Thaïland and as I said, A1 service ... I never needed to pull 1 single baht out of my pockets ... insurance took care of everything fast. Never needed it in DR though ... but 1 thing I know for sure is to never use any public hospital in DR ... geez even my favoritas don't want to go there.
Why bother with life?
Nobody has ever come out alive.

Henny White

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
I book everything with my Chase Saphire Card. 20k per person travel insurance str8t complimentary. Several Amex cards do the same. It aint much, but it feel nice declining what Expedia & Jetblue offer ????????????

IP-JD

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 02:38:38 AM »

I had to purchase it when I traveled to Namibia. While I was there, I had food poisoning and had to go into the doctor. Long story short, no one took the insurance. Called the company to say WTF, to which they replied, send the bill and they'll take care of it. Bill me, was good for some places, others wanted cash upfront. Took roughly 5-6 months after submitting to get fully reimbursed. Conversely, I went to Vienna a couple summers ago and the airline lost my bag. I called the Chase Ink number, they said buy whatever you need (up to 2000), put it on the card, submit receipts. Basically spent the 2000, got 1850 form the airline (bag was lost for 2 months) and eventually got the luggage back. Process is the same for medical needs.

DrinksOnMe

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »
The problem is very few people actually read the terms. Nothing worse than learning how LITTLE your insurance company will do for you AFTER the event happens.

Most credit cards have shit terms but some of the premium cards have a good deal.

Best to supplement a card's plan with basic independent travel coverage.

The biggest cost is emergency medical transport (unless you plan on staying in country for months anyway).

Too many horror stories of people draining their retirement accounts to cover costs.

Never forget what happened to Charles Tyler (RIP).

Dothedamthing

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »

I had to purchase it when I traveled to Namibia. While I was there, I had food poisoning and had to go into the doctor. Long story short, no one took the insurance. Called the company to say WTF, to which they replied, send the bill and they'll take care of it. Bill me, was good for some places, others wanted cash upfront. Took roughly 5-6 months after submitting to get fully reimbursed. Conversely, I went to Vienna a couple summers ago and the airline lost my bag. I called the Chase Ink number, they said buy whatever you need (up to 2000), put it on the card, submit receipts. Basically spent the 2000, got 1850 form the airline (bag was lost for 2 months) and eventually got the luggage back. Process is the same for medical needs.

I personally have not had to use the medical. But after seeing how my cousin got wiped out financially I can't take that chance. I've seen so many people get wiped out financially here in the US because of no/bad insurance. Even if I have to wait for reimbursement it's reassurance that I wont go bankrupt.

Now I have had to use the travel insurance multiple times over the 30 years and it's been worth every penny. Even if you don't do the medical the travel isn't an option in my opinion. I've gotten paid for trip delays, lost luggage, flight cancellations, missed connections, ect...  For example when covid hit last year and I had my April trip canceled. I got the full value of my flight and Airbnb refunded to me after the lockdown started. The Airline sent me an email stating that my flight was canceled and no refund. I filed a claim for it and my Airbnb which was non refundable. Claim approved the same day. Once approved I contacted the airline and was able to get me a trip voucher good for one year. I contacted my Airbnb host and they gave me a credit good for one year. Used both back in Feb and now I'm traveling on the insurance money I received.
If you can't change the outcome of a situation then don't worry about it.

Dothedamthing

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 06:38:23 AM »
An overview of my coverage. This is the same company my last two corporate jobs used for us.
If you can't change the outcome of a situation then don't worry about it.

mikec

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 10:39:06 PM »

had insurance one year and already used it once since I spend so much time overseas.  minor illness, a couple visits to a local clinic in costa rica.  geoblue insurance wasn't partnered/accepted there so i paid cash. to my surprise it was very easy to go online and send them the receipts and I was reimbursed in full within 30 days.  easier than I thought.  I won't travel without it again.  like they say imagine if it's a serious accident.  I guess a credit card may pay but they have to be harder to deal with and geoblue has enough partner hospitals often you won't pay anything upfront but good to know how quickly they reimbursed me even if I do.  if you're overseas a short time maybe you take the risk and like they've said sometimes care is cheap out here.  not always though.  surely not if you're injured in another first world country.  I took my chances when young and mostly in 3rd world and I got lucky. 

sosuajefe

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2021, 12:42:56 AM »
I travel insured as I have coverage on two of my credit cards. I just make sure to book the flight with one of those cards. There’s stipulations as to how long you are away and such but there’s good coverage none the less.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal