global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Current situation on ATM machines and exchange rates?  (Read 4221 times)

Iamdreamman35

Current situation on ATM machines and exchange rates?
« on: December 09, 2023, 10:04:28 AM »
Question for all vets and anyone who has touched down in Sosua recently? What is the current situation regarding ATMs to use in Sosua? Which are the best ATMs to use in 2023-2024 and are there still issues with skimming and cloning cards?

I'll be out there for the first time ever in March and just want to try and do my best to minimize any mistakes or misfortunes. Also, where is the best place to exchange USD for DOP currently? I'll most likely be at Sosua Inn or Casa Valeria (if they're not booked already).

My plan will be to sport f--k (going to try to slay 3-4 chicas a day) at least for the first 3-4 days then relax for the remaining two days. I'll be out there for 6 days total. All times with chicas will be ST only. I treat this mongering shit like a business. I also love variety (BBWs and Slimmies).

I get a good nut and they get money at the end and then leave so I can be onto the next one. I will definitely make sure everything including price is negotiated before in whatsapp as well and I will tip as well if service is good.

I definitely would love a great genuine GFE but that would (most likely) take multiple trips with a reliable regular to occur. And is 10,000 pesos enough in a single day? I plan to not go over $60 unless I happen to get lucky and spot a unicorn (9-10). Probably won't unless I import off Tinder. Then I don't mind $80 whatever the amount is in pesos.

If anyone has anything to add just throw it all out there. Thanks guys I appreciate all the posts on here about game, how to move in Dominican Republic, etc. I just worry about the whole ATM thing and my debt cards potentially getting hacked.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 10:12:31 AM by Iamdreamman35 »

Stones

Re: Current situation on ATM machines and exchange rates?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 10:46:57 AM »
Don't rely 100 percent on the ATM machines. I have been down there TWICE when the entire ATM network went down for the weekend. As a backup to your debit or credit cards consider wiring some extra cash to yourself before your trip via Western Union. When you pick up the money from Western Union they'll pay you out in Dominican pesos -- or US Dollars if that's what you want. Whatever the case it's always good to have backup cash in case of an emergency.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:03:52 AM by Stones »

PoonTangClan

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 11:14:58 AM »
I agree with Stones: don’t rely on the ATM.

I would tell you to just get all the cash you need stateside before you arrive in DR. No one is going to rob you if you’re carrying cash. Just be mindful of pickpockets in crowded areas, and make sure that you carry your wallet and cash in the lower pockets of your shorts, or in the front pockets of your jeans.

When you’re in your hotel room, make sure that you chica proof and secure your belongings before you have any chicas over, and don’t leave large amounts of cash in the safe when you’re not there. Your money is safer when it’s with you (in my opinion).

Regardless, there’s a generally safe ATM literally across the street from Sosua Inn’s front desk, and a money exchange spot right around the corner from that same ATM, next to a barbershop.

If you plan on sport f--king and taking down 3-4 chicas in a day (and tipping them) 10,000 pesos isn’t enough. Assume that you’ll pay all of those chicas (on average) about 3,500 per session, and that puts you at 14,000 pesos (if you’re indeed taking down 4, max). You most likely won’t tip all of those chicas, and there is a likelihood that you’ll pay some of them less than 3,500 pesos, so 14,000 pesos should comfortably be enough to cover your sport f--king days.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:23:34 AM by PoonTangClan »

Viva La Vega

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 11:56:51 AM »
Best to use the ATM's attached to the banks as they have a guard 24 hrs nearby. These machines are less likely to have a spoof reader. I got spoofed at the Super Pola Scotia years ago, no issues since.

Charges have increased and at least 2 of the 4 banks charge $300RD per transaction (up from $195RD two years ago) plus whatever your bank fees are. So it's not economical unless you get a large amount.

I was in Scotia and noticed the exchange rate for CAD was 40:1. Using the BanReserva or Banco Leon and getting ATM limit $20-$30K at a time, adding the $300RD and a $5 charge from my Canadian bank it worked out to.... 40:1. It's about the same with my USD accounts, but i did not notice exactly.

There is a lost in translation issue between some banks, one card in one bank says I can only get $3000RD at a time (probably my USD daily limit) I went to the next ATM and pulled $30k NP. Scotia for sure has a $10k Transaction limit, so I don't use that machine even in the branch. BanReserva is my ATM of choice right now.

More and more places accept cards, but I usually only use one in the grocery store.

I do not have a Schwab Card so can't speak on the benefits of their foreign exchange program, but there will be a savings for you if you have one.

tugboaboat5393

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 12:22:22 PM »
As Posted exstra back up cash and debit cards, was there last weekend, used bank populars by Balies /Sosua inn ,no issues !

Iamdreamman35

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 12:56:02 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate all of your replies and will soak all this knowledge in. I actually didn't think to just bring a bunch of cash on me (Thanks Poon for that and the Chica cost breakdown very helpful) and (Viva) for using ATMs attached to the banks. Also stone didn't think about WU. Duly noted.

I plan to come with $4000-$5000 stacks (After hotel and round trip airfare) for taxi, food, chicas and any possible unforseen emergencies. Can't wait. I'm just reading all the threads and watching YouTube videos on how to move properly.

At Viva my bank is Capital One. I have a debt card (my main card with them) and also a platinum and quicksilver credit card with them as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:01:16 PM by Iamdreamman35 »

Vern2020

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 12:59:22 PM »
I'll be coming down after xmas.  Last couple times I was there I exchanged cash in town.  The rate was basically the going rate posted online.  That way I paid no ATM or bank fees.  Does that still work pretty smoothly?  Are the rates they're offering still good?  Thanks.

yaadman

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 01:33:14 PM »
For only six days why not just walk with your $200 a day budget, thats $1200 and not worry about atms

jd66

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate all of your replies and will soak all this knowledge in. I actually didn't think to just bring a bunch of cash on me (Thanks Poon for that and the Chica cost breakdown very helpful) and (Viva) for using ATMs attached to the banks. Also stone didn't think about WU. Duly noted.

I plan to come with $4000-$5000 stacks (After hotel and round trip airfare) for taxi, food, chicas and any possible unforseen emergencies. Can't wait. I'm just reading all the threads and watching YouTube videos on how to move properly.

At Viva my bank is Capital One. I have a debt card (my main card with them) and also a platinum and quicksilver credit card with them as well.

When you say your bringing 4,000-5,000 stacks do you mean USD?  If that's the case then you will have plenty of money for 6 days and won't need to screw with an ATM.  No way would you be spending 5,000 in 6 days unless you are displaying some serious simp behavior.

If you want to use an ATM it is a very good idea to get yourself set up with a Schwab Card
What you do is link your Schwab account to your account at Capital one and make a transfer 5 business days before your trip.  It needs that much time to clear and the funds to become available.

That way should your account get comprised they can only get at the money in the Schwab acct which will minimize any potential at loss.
Also Schwab exchanges at market and refunds all the ATM fees.

If you are going to rely on using ATM's then do your withdrawals during the daytime and during the week.   The machines do sometimes run out of money on the weekends. 

I always travel with a combination of cash and a balance in my Schwab acct that way I know I am covered.  Can always bring it back home with you.

I wouldn't screw with sending yourself a WU but to each their own.  The costs of using WU aren't really all that great.

As a backup plan get a xoom account setup.  Since it is linked to your bank account a transfer to yourself would be easy if needed.  Or even make a transfer before your trip.  If you don't cash it in then it can be cancelled and it will cost you nothing since the money does not leave your bank account until the transaction has been picked up.

Using a credit card over there is a pretty risky thing to do as they are often compromised. 

I keep my normal bank ATM card and/or a credit card only if I needed it for an emergency otherwise it never leaves the safe

« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 02:24:59 PM by jd66 »

Viva La Vega

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 02:32:35 PM »
I'll be coming down after xmas.  Last couple times I was there I exchanged cash in town.  The rate was basically the going rate posted online.  That way I paid no ATM or bank fees.  Does that still work pretty smoothly?  Are the rates they're offering still good?  Thanks.

Street rates are close enough that they are fair. I was working in CAD, I had seen the sign in the bank 1:40 something, I asked the guy on the street 1:38, got near enough 1:40 from ATM.

The only real exchange issues you need to think about are never use the airport counters, anywhere, ever. And if you are making a quick exchange on the street do your own calculation on your phone to confirm.

stinqu

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 05:35:26 PM »
The ATM's do run out of cash some times (late Saturday& Sunday), normally on US long weekends. I stay a month at a time so get what I need midweek. I do have an emergency plan, send myself a few hundred on MoneyGram , found it much cheaper than WU. There's an exchange on Calle Duarte, they are also have great currency exchange rates. 2 minute walk from Sosua Inn.

Bat Man

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 09:47:21 AM »
Best to use the ATM's attached to the banks as they have a guard 24 hrs nearby. These machines are less likely to have a spoof reader. I got spoofed at the Super Pola Scotia years ago, no issues since.

Charges have increased and at least 2 of the 4 banks charge $300RD per transaction (up from $195RD two years ago) plus whatever your bank fees are. So it's not economical unless you get a large amount.

I was in Scotia and noticed the exchange rate for CAD was 40:1. Using the BanReserva or Banco Leon and getting ATM limit $20-$30K at a time, adding the $300RD and a $5 charge from my Canadian bank it worked out to.... 40:1. It's about the same with my USD accounts, but i did not notice exactly.

There is a lost in translation issue between some banks, one card in one bank says I can only get $3000RD at a time (probably my USD daily limit) I went to the next ATM and pulled $30k NP. Scotia for sure has a $10k Transaction limit, so I don't use that machine even in the branch. BanReserva is my ATM of choice right now.

More and more places accept cards, but I usually only use one in the grocery store.

I do not have a Schwab Card so can't speak on the benefits of their foreign exchange program, but there will be a savings for you if you have one.

A schwab card pays you back all bank fees I believe either by the 20th or the 25th of the month.

Bat Man

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 09:53:45 AM »
You can always go to Caberete or PP and use the ATM's there.

jd66

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 12:46:48 PM »

A schwab card pays you back all bank fees I believe either by the 20th or the 25th of the month.

My Schwab ATM rebate always hits the last business day of the month for all ATM fees during the month

Iamdreamman35

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 09:18:27 AM »

My Schwab ATM rebate always hits the last business day of the month for all ATM fees during the month

I appreciate all the knowledge you dropped jd66. I have some notes to take. Also thank you to all the vets for replying as well. I think I got all the advice I need for now but feel free to continue talking. I'm soaking everything up. I don't know why I didn't even think to bring cash, before reading the replies to this thread. My own stupidity... Smdh...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 09:20:58 AM by Iamdreamman35 »

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal