global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Current situation on ATM machines and exchange rates?  (Read 4227 times)

Bat Man

Re: Current situation on ATM machines and exchange rates?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »

A schwab card pays you back all bank fees I believe either by the 20th or the 25th of the month.

My Schwab ATM rebate always hits the last business day of the month for all ATM fees during the month

I appreciate all the knowledge you dropped jd66. I have some notes to take. Also thank you to all the vets for replying as well. I think I got all the advice I need for now but feel free to continue talking. I'm soaking everything up. I don't know why I didn't even think to bring cash, before reading the replies to this thread. My own stupidity... Smdh...

If you got time you could get a Wise Card.  It's like a debit card that you add money to so it you lose it or someone makes a withdrawal it would be for the amount that you have on your card not all the money that you have in the bank.

It's excellent for transferring money to foriegn accounts and good for transferring money that's too big for cash like say if you had to pay 1000 buck for something.

That being said a Remitly account is what I use to transfer money myself.

Iamdreamman35

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 11:06:17 AM »
I'll definitely look into the wise card Bat thanks.

jd66

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 01:32:16 PM »

A schwab card pays you back all bank fees I believe either by the 20th or the 25th of the month.

My Schwab ATM rebate always hits the last business day of the month for all ATM fees during the month

I appreciate all the knowledge you dropped jd66. I have some notes to take. Also thank you to all the vets for replying as well. I think I got all the advice I need for now but feel free to continue talking. I'm soaking everything up. I don't know why I didn't even think to bring cash, before reading the replies to this thread. My own stupidity... Smdh...

If you got time you could get a Wise Card.  It's like a debit card that you add money to so it you lose it or someone makes a withdrawal it would be for the amount that you have on your card not all the money that you have in the bank.

It's excellent for transferring money to foriegn accounts and good for transferring money that's too big for cash like say if you had to pay 1000 buck for something.

From what I can tell the fees you will pay for using a Wise Card through an ATM as well as currency conversion will add up and eventually eat you alive if you use it much.
Appears that even moving money into your Wise account will cost you.

Still better off with a Schwab Card as there is essentially no fees and the only potential money at risk is whatever is in that Schwab checking account.
Very easy to have another Schwab account to hold extra money that you can quickly transfer from if needed at not tied to the debit card.

bangoskank

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 07:02:31 PM »

From what I can tell the fees you will pay for using a Wise Card through an ATM as well as currency conversion will add up and eventually eat you alive if you use it much.

Still better off with a Schwab Card as there is essentially no fees and the only potential money at risk is whatever is in that Schwab checking account.
Very easy to have another Schwab account to hold extra money that you can quickly transfer from if needed at not tied to the debit card.

The Schwab Visa check card is also linked to a brokerage account. If there is anything in that brokerage account that could be at risk also.

Bat Man

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2023, 07:28:36 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.  All these travel mongers praise the Wise card.

Schwab gives you all ATM at the end of the month per JD and they will mail at card to you express anywhere in the world no questions asked.

As far as I know no other card does that.

It would be way easier getting an additional schwab card with a savings/ money market card for your backup card and I prefer Chase for no international fee credit cards and remitly for transfer to bank accounts and being done with it.

This discussion went far beyond the occassional traveler who might be better off with coming down with a couple hundred cash to exchange and not being too worried about not getting the daily bank rate of exchange or going all the way to caberete when they can have a couple hundred in reserve and continue their trip.

Securing that money from pick pockets and janky hotel safes is a whole nother subject.

Bat Man

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2023, 07:30:31 PM »

The Schwab Visa check card is also linked to a brokerage account. If there is anything in that brokerage account that could be at risk also.

Pretty sure you can get another card for brokerage/ money market accounts no way I'm traveling with my brokarage account on a short vacation.

jd66

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2023, 07:35:52 PM »

That is 100% not the case.
The ATM/debit card is linked to a single checking account and that is the only account that ATM withdrawals can come from
All other assets are not linked to that ATM card so they would not be at risk.

You do have to be mindful that external transfers from banks outside of that account take about 4-5 business days to clear before you can withdraw from the ATM

Bat Man

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2023, 09:34:41 PM »

The ATM/debit card is linked to a single checking account and that is the only account that ATM withdrawals can come from

You do have to be mindful that external transfers from banks outside of that account take about 4-5 business days to clear before you can withdraw from the ATM

Thanks for the clarification.

bangoskank

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »

https://www.schwab.com/checking

The Schwab Bank Investor Checking™ account is conveniently linked to a Schwab One® Brokerage account,2 so you get all the features of our award-winning checking account plus the cash management solutions you need in one place, with a single login.

sosuasosua

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2023, 11:11:01 AM »

The Schwab Bank Investor Checking™ account is conveniently linked to a Schwab One® Brokerage account,2 so you get all the features of our award-winning checking account plus the cash management solutions you need in one place, with a single login.
     I just set up an account. The brokerage account feeds the checking account. You can't take funds from brokerage account through ATM.This is the best ATM card for traveling.

jd66

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2023, 11:22:01 AM »

You are not understanding how it works.
Yes you have to setup a brokerage account but only the checking account within the brokerage account is directly linked to the ATM card
You don't even need a single dollar of brokerage assets only whatever you keep in the brokerage checking account which also has no minimum balance

You can transfer in and out as well as from an external account but those assets would not be at risk.

I know since i have had one for years.

bangoskank

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »

Yes you have to setup a brokerage account but only the checking account within the brokerage account is directly linked to the ATM card
You don't even need a single dollar of brokerage assets only whatever you keep in the brokerage checking account which also has no minimum balance

You can transfer in and out as well as from an external account but those assets would not be at risk.

I read the agreements. I fully understand. After opening your account, you have to go in and manually unlink them. Most people do not do that because they don’t know any better.

Overdraft Protection
For our Investor Checking account, we offer multiple sources of overdraft protection, collectively referred to as Overdraft Sources, to help you protect your Investor Checking account from overdrafts. Your Schwab One® account will automatically be linked to your Investor Checking account for overdraft protection after both accounts are open. It will remain linked for overdraft protection purposes unless you request otherwise. You may choose to also add other Overdraft Sources. As of August 1, 2020, Schwab Bank no longer offers or establishes new Overdraft Credit Lines (OCL). Any existing OCL will remain in effect subject to the terms of its agreement.
The OCL and certain other Schwab Bank checking and savings accounts may also be used as sources of overdraft protection.

jd66

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2023, 02:42:06 PM »

I read the agreements. I fully understand. After opening your account, you have to go in and manually unlink them. Most people do not do that because they don’t know any better.

Overdraft Protection
For our Investor Checking account, we offer multiple sources of overdraft protection, collectively referred to as Overdraft Sources, to help you protect your Investor Checking account from overdrafts. Your Schwab One® account will automatically be linked to your Investor Checking account for overdraft protection after both accounts are open. It will remain linked for overdraft protection purposes unless you request otherwise. You may choose to also add other Overdraft Sources. As of August 1, 2020, Schwab Bank no longer offers or establishes new Overdraft Credit Lines (OCL). Any existing OCL will remain in effect subject to the terms of its agreement.
The OCL and certain other Schwab Bank checking and savings accounts may also be used as sources of overdraft protection.

Dude I am not going to argue with you.
Throw up whatever you want.  Your referring to overdraft protection.  There is no possibility that someone with a compromised ATM card could withdraw any assets other than what's in that checking account.  Plus Schwab does a great job of monitoring your account and you would know if something is up and there are limits on how much that can be withdrawn daily.  Plus pretty hard to overdraft a checking account from ATM withdrawals since you can't withdraw more than your available balance.

But perhaps your better off carrying cash. 

bangoskank

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2023, 02:55:34 PM »

Overdraft Protection

Dude I am not going to argue with you.
Throw up whatever you want.  Your referring to overdraft protection.  There is no possibility that someone with a compromised ATM card could withdraw any assets other than what's in that checking account.  Plus Schwab does a great job of monitoring your account and you would know if something is up and there are limits on how much that can be withdrawn daily.  Plus pretty hard to overdraft a checking account from ATM withdrawals since you can't withdraw more than your available balance.

But perhaps your better off carrying cash.

You are correct. They will not get a lot as your daily limit is $1000.

I am just putting out how the accounts are set up so there are no surprises.

stinqu

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2023, 05:23:33 PM »
Wow a $1,000/day is way more than I would need, that's a months worth of pesos. Since the introduction of "tap" I use my Visa (no fee card) for everything except bars, eating out and chicas of coarse.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal