global $user_info; { echo '
Sosua girls
'; }

Author Topic: Recommendations for a guide in Santo Domingo?  (Read 1572 times)

Travelguy90

Re: Recommendations for a guide in Santo Domingo?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 04:36:27 PM »
With that budget and if you feel like spending 8 days just to say you did it, it can definitely work. Might be an 8/10 in frustration vs a 3.5-5/10 in Sosua due to sheer size, inexperience and language barrier but you should be able to find what you want. If you get hit on in the states, dress decent and can pass as mixed or Dominican you likely upped your chances at success.

As said before it’s a price hike so a 150 beer is 250-300 to peso in the bars/club’s possibility of more currently. If you go to a stripclub or brothel it’ll be more than 2000-2500 peso for what’s possibly cheaper in Sosua quality wise. Flip side is if you met/smashed a SD chic in Sosua it can be the same price or cheaper if logistics add up. Like you’re in Zone Colonial and she’s in Estes or ZC and it’s only a 6-13 minute Uber ride away. If you’re tall and girls normally like you due to height, it’ll be the same over there. If you’re average or a wall flower and bashful, you may get passed over as its a lot of other make competition. You can’t look like a slob and have an in shape handsome waiter and think a chic gonna stare at you just because you’re American. You look remotely like you got something positive going on, you drastically improve your chances at success. Still it’s not a sure fire thing due to language and possibly cultural differences.

You have enough bread with 2500 to make something shake. You may just need a guide for 1-3 days out of 8 if you’re truly lost but you should be able to get into a swing of things. You’re 30, and have the internet
Cheaper ways to do things, doesn’t indicate quality, or lack of

bigup

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 08:47:41 PM »
@ bionicsound

My first time in Santo I stayed at a local hotel. The staff are mostly required to speak English.  I spoke to the Bellman and explained that I needed a taxi driver who spoke English. I also explained that I wanted the driver to take me to the strip club and remain with me for 2 hours. Just by chance one of the taxis in the line up spoke English. We worked out a price I believe was $40 USA for 2 hours at that time and off we went.  Once we arrived  at the strip club I kid you not we walked in and it was about 20 chicas saying Holla Papi I was thinking f--k America strip clubs LMAO.

I told the taxi driver that I just wanted to chill and enjoy the show. He obvious had been there before because he went over and talk to some little Spanish guy.  He told me the price to f--k a chica there was $100 or $150 to take her out. I was thinking na we not f--king here you mother fuks have cameras in those rooms LOL. Long story short I took one of the chicas out and we went back to the hotel.  That was 17 years ago and I haven't a clue what any clubs or strip clubs look like in the US anymore.

This same plan can happen today. They have so many working girls at the Santo Domingo Disco Tec and the bouncers know who's there drinking and who's a working chica. Also tip the bouncer lol because I'm sure you'll be returning the next night (SMILE) to get another chica.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 08:53:36 PM by bigup »

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 09:53:15 PM »
Shouldn't have much of a problem with attracting interest. My dress style is mostly business casual anyway and im in reasonable physical shape. 6'0 185. People here in the States, particularly women, look at me and often think I'm rich. I laugh and say nah, I got this shit off the rack at Men's Wearhouse. I can pay the bills and buy what I need when I need it. No more, no less.

Spanish is the real issue in that I can speak it lucidly, even flirt a little bit. Ive only had practice with a mirror though. Hearing it spoken back in real time, in rapid succession is gonna be problematic. Add in non textbook Dominican slang and it's over before it starts.

Even I get bored just simulating conversations with a translator app after a couple minutes. I want to just take the safe route and do Sosua, but my intellectual and persevering sides won't allow passing up this total immersion opportunity. It's a tough one and I'll take the necessary time to decide. Btw, since you're cool with $2500, I'll roll with it.

@bigup

I didnt think of directly asking the hotel concierge to request a driver who speaks the king's. I'm f--king up. This Dico Tec sounds appealing and you must speak more of this. Flip side, this Disco Tec sounds like a fleece spot and you must speak more of this.

bigup

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 08:36:22 PM »
@bionicsound

Check out Sahara Vip, The World  or Mixers!  It's another 15 plus clubs located in the city to vast to name, but I like these 3. To be honest most clubs now are bottle service. 

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2024, 04:29:11 PM »
Obliged. Ive got a little gameplan going. Hitting the malls and shopping centers during the day, social media in the evenings, Club Mixxer and others at night. Doesnt sound too daunting.

stinqu

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2024, 04:54:36 PM »
Bionic, sounds like your mind is set to a plan, that's great, have a good time. Can't wait to hear your report. Have fun!!!

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2024, 07:08:13 PM »
Thanks man. I won't let y'all down.

I do have another question though. How many dollars do y'all typically exchange for pesos at a time? And do you use different exchange locations on different days? Making one big exchange and transporting all your money to a secure spot obviously doesn't pass the common sense test but I have to ask if someone has done that?

stinqu

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2024, 07:55:36 PM »
The precautions I take; What do I need for the next 2 days (with some extra), That all depends on your habits. A big variable is the day and if the weekend is an AMERICAN holiday, if your using ATM'S. To exchange cash I use the place on Calle Duarte, and again only enough for 2-3 days.Because I'm a frequent traveler, I have no problem with taking home pesos

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2024, 10:15:15 PM »
Alright, sounds reasonable. The planned budget is $200 a day on the low end. Over 3 days, thats over RD$35300 but exchanging less gives greater incentive to haggle. f--k the cheapie label, a wise man told me a long time ago, "just because you got it doesn't mean you have to spend it".

I eat only once a day. Getting a case of water is priority 1 but that shouldnt cost much and I'll negotiate with taxis for >50 pesos a km. Compared to US prices, getting goods at local prices is a win.

Apologies for writing what I'm thinking. We visited Puerto Plata for a couple hours on a cruise and got hit with bullshit upcharges. Unscrupulous business never sat well with me, regardless of circumstance. Any other cost effective tips you got from your experiences? I'll gladly take them, put them into practice and pay the experience forward. Thank you.

Just_A_Guy

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2024, 11:01:16 PM »

I do have another question though. How many dollars do y'all typically exchange for pesos at a time? And do you use different exchange locations on different days? Making one big exchange and transporting all your money to a secure spot obviously doesn't pass the common sense test but I have to ask if someone has done that?

Me personally, I mainly exchange on average about $500 USD at a time, increasing if need be depending what i have planned.  And I only carry around on me the amount of pesos I plan on spending that day (along with my cards for emergencies and whatnot) and leave the rest locked in the room.

As for exchange location, I try to get the best exchange whenever i can, but it mainly just comes down to whatever's most convenient for me at that given time (i.e., if i gotta go across town just to get a 1 peso difference, i'll just stick to the one that's closest).

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2024, 01:47:01 PM »

Me personally, I mainly exchange on average about $500 USD at a time, increasing if need be depending what i have planned.  And I only carry around on me the amount of pesos I plan on spending that day (along with my cards for emergencies and whatnot) and leave the rest locked in the room.

As for exchange location, I try to get the best exchange whenever i can, but it mainly just comes down to whatever's most convenient for me at that given time (i.e., if i gotta go across town just to get a 1 peso difference, i'll just stick to the one that's closest).

Got you. That makes sense. I'll keep that in mind.

stinqu

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 07:28:49 PM »
Just a word of advice on changing money, DO NOT USE THE STREET GUYS, yes they will offer a great rate, BUT, I have gotten fake bills from them.

bionicsound

• All Access
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 11:58:57 PM »
Just a word of advice on changing money, DO NOT USE THE STREET GUYS, yes they will offer a great rate, BUT, I have gotten fake bills from them.

Funny, I literally was thinking about currency exchanges and maximizing dollar value. Weird how the universe works huh?

I'll be at the Real Intercontinental in Piantini and have planned on visiting the spot on Calle Duarte in Colonial you mentioned. Can't find much useful info online or a solid address but I'll walk the street to find it.

Out of curiosity, since the current official exchange rate is nearly 59 pesos to the USD, what is the expected rate to be received through a licensed broker? 55~59? Is it preferable to get smaller denominations to lessen the likelihood of receiving counterfeit currency? In fact, what's your recommended denominational split out of say, 25k pesos?

With your recommended location, does this place offer singular appointments per customerm I have no fear, just prefer to not cause an international incident by nearly beating a nosey would be hustler to death (dark past). What are common prices to goods there? I rock stateside $150 suits off the rack like a champ and wouldn't mind getting a new one for shit's and gig's for example.

And finally, have you ventured to the southwest portion of the island? Intuition tells me there's a hidden gem there. That said, what are current fuel prices considering the possibility of renting a vehicle?

stinqu

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 03:59:22 PM »
The USD gets the best exchange rate of any currency in DR. , often , .5-1.0% where as others are 2-3%. The smaller denominations are best, I try to stack my wallet with 500p notes. These are the best to have when making small purchases, every place can change them. When you go to the Cambio, remember this phrase " billetes pequenos,por favor". If you are changing, say $500, small bills is a relative term, you get allot of 1,000 notes. On $200 mostly 500 notes. 2000p notes are a pain to change.

Stones

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2024, 02:56:32 PM »

This.

MORE REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE

Click below to subscribe!

Sosua bars
'; }
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal